OHP Weight

Options
tc41586
tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
Yesterday, I struggled with 55lbs. Where is everyone at with OHP? Yesterday was my 6th workout. I thought I would get past 55lbs before struggling.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    the highest I have got is 37.5kg or so (approx 82.5lbs), but I've deloaded more than once and am working on form (again..) and I'm at around 30kg (66lbs) now.

this is likely to be your slowest-progressing lift. Don't be afraid to use fractionals/deload/sigh deeply!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I just started over again (did my second workout yesterday) and actually kept it at 45 lbs because the first time I spent too much of the lift using my knees for leverage. When I did SL the first time, I only progressed to 55 lbs and wasn't able to pass that before I stopped lifting to concentrate on marathon training.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    OHP is a gigantic pain. I'm at 70lbs right now and have been for several workouts. Like L said, it's a slow progressing lift and deloads and fractionals will help you out tremendously.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    OHP is a b#$$#! The most I've ever done was 75 lbs and I could only do 3 reps the last 2 sets. Make sure your hands aren't too wide, if I let my hands go wider than my shoulders even 45 pounds becomes too difficult.
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    OHP is a b#$$#! The most I've ever done was 75 lbs and I could only do 3 reps the last 2 sets. Make sure your hands aren't too wide, if I let my hands go wider than my shoulders even 45 pounds becomes too difficult.

I'll double check this!

Thank you all for your input/kind words!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I weigh 125lbs and can press 60lbs for reps. It is a PITA lift to progress on. Agree w/Chubby Checkers, fractionals do come in handy for this lift in particular.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm at 57.5lb (i.e. stalled), I think I can do 5x5 on that next workout then attempt 60lb the one after.... we'll see .... I agree with the others that it's a really tough lift to progress on. I'm currently going up in 2.5lb increments but I'm wondering if 1lb increments would be better. I tend to be stalled at the same weight for 3 weeks at a time, I've done one deload so far on this, and got only 2.5lb further since then.

Thanks for posting the video... will watch it when the kids are making less noise...!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    One year in and I'm still at 70 lbs. will be trying for 72.5 next week using my fractionals. It is a tough one.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am working on my second round of SL and I have progressed to 60lb. I can't make all 5x5 but I can do 3-4 sets at this weight before I have to take it down a notch. Its a rough move to advance in I have found. Make sure when your pushing up your whole body is tight from your core to those buns of steel breath and push. Good luck!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm at 80 now and I've been SL this since December 18th (started listing with NROLFW in Oct 12). I started at just the bar and it has taken me this long to get up to 80.

I think that is the hardest exercise. The row is just awkward though!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My last go around, I got up to 80 pounds on OHP. Right now I'm back up to 60 pounds and it is a b*$%h!!!!! This is the one lift that I both hate and love at the same time. My first round of SL, I went through 3 deloads on this baby. It is sooooo frustrating. And my chest constantly hurt! Especially at night when it hurt to turn over in bed. I kept thinking to myself "is this really worth it?" lol. It is :bigsmile:

I agree that this is the toughest lift to progress on. Don't feel bad! But it feels so bad *kitten* to push heavy weights over yer head! :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    As much as a PITA the OHP can be to make progress................ my shoulders look a lot better now than they did when I started stronglifts....
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I'm at 57.5lb (i.e. stalled), I think I can do 5x5 on that next workout then attempt 60lb the one after.... we'll see .... I agree with the others that it's a really tough lift to progress on. I'm currently going up in 2.5lb increments but I'm wondering if 1lb increments would be better. I tend to be stalled at the same weight for 3 weeks at a time, I've done one deload so far on this, and got only 2.5lb further since then.

Thanks for posting the video... will watch it when the kids are making less noise...!

I was just wondering (literally, a few minutes ago) whether I should go up in 1 lb increments, too. I FINALLY got 60 pounds on my last workout, and today 62.5 feels 10 pounds heavier.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I was just wondering (literally, a few minutes ago) whether I should go up in 1 lb increments, too. I FINALLY got 60 pounds on my last workout, and today 62.5 feels 10 pounds heavier.

That's pretty much my experience each time I add weight to the bar!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I HATE THIS LIFT!!!! That is all.
    I can't get above 60lbs. Oh well at least I got over my bench pressing fear. :D
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 and I'm at 55lbs. Tried that a couple weeks successfully so I think I'm going to try 60lbs on Friday. I hate the OHP. With the passion of a thousand fiery suns.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm only at 40 lbs. Not my favourite lift.
  • hunt80
    hunt80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I struggled with 55lbs. Where is everyone at with OHP? Yesterday was my 6th workout. I thought I would get past 55lbs before struggling.

I have been thinking a couple of days now if I should make the exact same thread that you just started..
    I am in the third week of SL5x5 and I am not getting anywhere past 55lbs on the OHP. Today was more like 4x5 and even one 3x5 in there..And that was my second try at this weight. So I think one more try and after that I have to deload.
    My arms just will not move after the 4th rep.. urgh
    Every other lift is actually moving up..just not this..makes me mad!! :-)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts in February. I weigh 190 and I am pressing 56 pounds. I started with 20 pounds and I weighed a lot more then, so I've actually made great progress! :laugh:

These days I progress in 1/2 pound increments, and I make sure I rest enough in between sets -- at least three minutes. Checking my form has occasionally gotten me several pounds jumps.