Inspire vs. Versa- not sure what to upgrade to

swimmchick87
swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
edited May 2020 in Social Groups
My trusty Alta seems to be having charging issues and I'm guessing I'll need to replace it soon. I use my fitbit every day/walking is my main exercise so I want to know ahead of time what to get so I can replace right away.

I'm fine with the alta's basic features, and it seems the inspire is the "new alta." I also like the lower price point. However, I really like the look of the versa and I figure if I'm going to wear it every day that's important. The smartwatch look seems to be a lot more stylish than a tracker band.

OTOH I'm a little nervous about the heart rate tracker part. I was part of MFP back in the day when heart rate monitors were all the rage for exercise, and there was always a ton of discussion about how they were really only accurate for steady state cardio. I remember people would often have the "new idea" to wear one all day long to find their TDEE and people were always quick to say they weren't accurate for that. Also many discussions about how the only accurate ones included the chest strap, not just the wrist monitor. So how is this different? If you naturally have a faster pulse, won't you be getting an inaccurate calorie burn? However the alta tracks (without heart rate) seems to be pretty accurate for me.

The other weird thing was that when comparing on the fibit website I was looking at the versa vs. versa lite, and in the comparison chart it says only the versa tracks "all day calorie burn." That can't be right? Even my alta tells me how many calories I've burned for the day. Are they referring to something different?

Any advice?

Replies

• e_clutter
    e_clutter Posts: 1 Member
    Hello,
    I am new to using Fitbit. I received my versa 2 a couple of days ago. It shows my all day calories burned and other stats on my watch face. I've noticed that the calorie burning zone is incorrect on my versa. I get anxious and tend to have a higher pulse throughout the day. It says I'm burning calories when I'm just sitting and doing nothing. As far as the looks go, I like the versa. It's not too big or awkward looking. I also like how you can buy thinner bands on amazon. Plus, my Sam's club had it for around 180. I don't know that any of my input will help you to decide. But, I also read through reddit before deciding. They have much more in depth comments and others that know what their talking about. Good luck in finding your watch!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    I have had the exact same problem with my Alta until yesterday when it wont charge at all.. Now wearing an ancient Fiex which lasts a day so also looking at Inspire due to shape and look. It's a good price in UK £70 so I will probably go for it. Not keen at all on the watches Versa too big for me.Not worried about heart rate either.
  • Lynnehudler
    Lynnehudler Posts: 6 Member
    I have the Versa 2 and have liked it more than the other Fitbits I've had in the past. I would say that if the basic features work for you, no harm in going with the Inspire. For me the extra features for the Versa 2 were what sold me on it - being able to pay using it, on screen workouts, the guided breathing sessions, the ability to connect it to headphones and play Spotify, etc. But if you have no need for the bells and whistles, the Inspire looks like a great product.

As far as what the chart says on caloric burn, the pictures on the Versa Lite page show it telling you your calories burned so I'm not sure what the deal is on that chart tbh
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Weirdly I just posted in another msg how I used to have the versa (original) and replaced it with the inspire hr. I didn't need all the extra functions and I prefer the slim fit, but everyone is different. I did struggle with the battery needing charging all the time, but maybe the newer versions are better.

I don't really know where I stand on the value of HR function, I have recently connected my fitbit to mfp. My weight loss plateaued and I was just testing to see what came out of connecting them. This meant I stopped logging exercise in mfp. I have ended up eating more calories and my weightloss has started off again. Not sure what to make of it really!
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    I go through these things at a rate of about 1 every 1.5 to 2 years, I got the Inspire so that when I kill that one too, it doesn't hurt quite so much.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    I just started using inspireHR. I love it. The HR is accurate.
    It is small and unobtrusive, I have ordered a gold jewellery band for it.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    I like that you can swim in it too.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    I have the inspire hr and the resting heart rate matches the doctors readings for whatever that’s worth. I’m too new to Fitbit and linking it to MFP.
    It is basic and if you swim it will auto detect it as well as walking and elliptical. Stationary bike is tricky. You need to keep you hand on your knee and it registers it as elliptical. Otherwise it reads only active minutes.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    I have had my Inspire about 6 weeks, tonight it went crazy buzzing and scrolling through all sorts of things like it thinks I have asked it to log excercise ...but I have not done a thing as at home on couch. Bed time soon so how can I get it to shut up and revert to normal, mode any ideas?
  • kbear9963
    kbear9963 Posts: 1 Member
    I used to have a Fitbit One and I loved it. I was devastated when I couldn't use it anymore. Then I tried Inspire and found that I liked that even more. I used it for about 6 months and upgraded to the Inspire HR for medical reasons. I absolutely love it. Hands down one of the best investments I've made in myself.