Protein shake?

Options
Hollywoodm55
Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
Do you think it's necessary to have a protein shake after lifting? Do any of you ladies have one? My husband drinks them and tells me that I should too but they taste like a milk shake and I hate to drink the extra calories just because he thinks I should.

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it drinking extra calories, since almost all the calories are from protein, and I usually consider it part of a meal. I usually lift in the morning and often have a green smoothie with spinach, protein powder, cocoa and a banana (it totally tastes like a milkshake!) for breakfast. Sometimes if I have calories left at the end of the day and need more protein, I'll drink a shake.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder if I'm really under on protein for the day, but not right after I lift. As long as you're getting enough protein overall, the timing of the protein doesn't matter.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    After I workout I make it point to have some kind of protein. Usually I workout right before dinner so that's not a problem. If that's not the case then yes, I'll have a protein shake.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ugh. I tried a couple. they were sickly sweet, so no! I don't like bought milkshakes either though. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's not a requirement. Plenty of people meet all their protein needs without protein supplements. They are quick and convenient, though.
  • trosewine
    Options
    I'll agree that it's not necessary and timing doesn't matter. I do, however, almost always drink about 50g of protein a day - otherwise I can't get enough protein in.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I do because I have very limited time after I lift to shower, eat something, and head back to work. It's a fast and easy way to get something in my belly to tide me over until I eat at work.

ETA: http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/

That link was posted in a thread a while ago. I haven't tried any of those recipes, but if anyone wants a dessert-type protein shake, there you go! Some of the look downright delicious!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I drink them though not necessarily after lifting. Whenever I'm low on protein, having a sweets craving or need something filling is when I have one.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it!