Progression of symptoms

Options
Hey all,

I'm wondering if any of you notice delayed symptoms after consuming gluten. For example, about 24 hrs after eating gluten, I will break out in hives. Then, my classic sinus symptoms come forward 48 hours or more after. With that comes nausea and headache as well.

Is it odd for the symptoms to last 3-4 days after consuming?

L.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Mine normally start about 8 hours afterwards and last for about a week after eating gluten.

Reactions to other foods take different tmes and I think some of it is delayed as I now have to take a daily antihistamine.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes. Progression is normal. It could depend on whether you have celiac disease, gluten intolerance or gluten sensitivity too. You are a biological being having a biochemical reaction to a food. There is no set list of symptoms for gluten issues its long and varied. Don't believe me? Read the comments on this article! http://surefoodsliving.com/2011/05/how-i-react-to-gluten-what-happens-to-you/

I have a friend with a celiac diagnosis whose tongue will swell up witin 30 minutes. Followed by very severe cramping, somtimes vomiting, bloody stool, and aches, etc.

Where as I, with my IBS diagnosis- if its enough gluten, will get a sore throat and sinus pressure within 30 minutes. Depending on my immune system, it will either progress or go away. With any amount including trace- its itchy sides the next day, constipations, burning cheeks, headaches, nausea, fever, etc. Which is followed by severe anxiety and depression between days 3 and 7. I can have daily headaches and nausea when wearing my glasses for several weeks after eating gluten. Generally I count on a week of crappiness, whereas my friend is fine within a day and a half.