Missing Malt Powder??

Options
MikePfirrman
MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
I've been gluten free for like five years now (Celiac), so I'm pretty solid at avoiding it by now. However, one thing I do miss is the taste of malted milk/shakes.

I found out recently that Maca, which is a superfood root (really healthy for you) tastes like malt powder. I make SunWarrior protein drinks now with frozen banana, ice, Dairy Free milk and some Maca and they are amazing!

My wife and daughter turned me onto the taste. While my daughter was home with Covid-19 shutdowns (she's vegetarian), she mentioned one day how much it tasted like Malt powder. I had to try it myself and it really does.

Here's more info on it. The warning is if you have thyroid issues you want to be careful. Both my wife and daughter do and they had zero issues with it.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-maca-root#section13

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    What kind of thyroid issues hypo or hyper?
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    What kind of thyroid issues hypo or hyper?

Milk hypo. Both of them.
  • canadjineh
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Milk hypothyroid?? Do you mean a flare-up of Hashimoto's disease due to inflammation from dairy products? Most people with celiac disease are sensitive to dairy anyhow. Sometimes if you have your diet under tight control for a long period of time and your CD symptoms have calmed down, you can tolerate a bit of dairy.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Milk hypothyroid?? Do you mean a flare-up of Hashimoto's disease due to inflammation from dairy products? Most people with celiac disease are sensitive to dairy anyhow. Sometimes if you have your diet under tight control for a long period of time and your CD symptoms have calmed down, you can tolerate a bit of dairy.

Mild, not milk. Sorry -- my word correct must have done that or bad typo.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Nothing like 'auto-correct' lol.