When your dog is hurting

Options
Ccricfo
Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
I can't stand to see my dog in pain. This morning he suddenly developed a spinal issue....he was dragging his back legs, arching his back, and in a lot of pain. After a lot of tests at the vet, she concluded that he has at least one herniated disc and sent him home with steroids and pain medication. No activity for him other than very short walks for at least two weeks.

He's sleeping on my bed at the moment.....

I have been teary-eyed all day and felt like I was in an alternate universe.....can you relate?

Replies

• saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Having your dog in pain is awful. Especially because of our limited ability to understand and communicate with our dogs. :( I hope the pain meds help and they're able to come up with a good maintenance plan. Meanwhile, are you gonna try to walk without him? Or just work out in the house more so he's not alone?
  • Ccricfo
    Options
    Thank you for understanding.....I am going to do my long walks alone, but will take him for short bathroom breaks.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    My sympathy, Chris. Hope your dog is pain free soon. I would have to sneak out of the house if I were to go walking without my dog.
  • CoachFrenchie
    CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I hope he is doing better now? This is such a stressful situation for you!
  • Ccricfo
    Options
    He is slowly improving, thanks. My biggest concern now is preventing from jumping down from furniture.....
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes. My dog(Daisy) has repeatedly ripped her back few claws over the years and more recently hurt her neck. She was so uncomfortable that she would cry out whenever she lifted her head. We went to the vet and got her checked out and some pain meds. They also recommended anxiety meds to keep her calm for a week or 2. She seemed to like having an ice pack on her neck the first day while she rested. Maybe try that on his back? I don't like my animals to suffer, so I do my best to keep them comfortable.
    My Daisy has begun peeing herself in the night. So, another visit tomorrow most likely.
  • saltysparkle
    Options
    Crossing my fingers for both of you and your dogs!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    My Daisy went to vet and came home with antibiotics to treat UTI. Hopefully this will solve the problem. If not, vet will prescribe incontinence meds.
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    @DancingMoosie ...how is your dog doing on antibiotics? Side effects? Mine is having a horrible time....
  • Ccricfo
    Options
    I'm pleased to say that Darwin is now completely recovered from his back problem. I'm going to have to take him to dog parks for small dogs only in the future, but for now he's a happy boy!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    @DancingMoosie ...how is your dog doing on antibiotics? Side effects? Mine is having a horrible time....

She seems to be doing well. I am paying a little more attention to her needs. She sometimes needs to go out more, pee more. I did find a little pee spot on the bed. She missed the pad by 6in🙄
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    0z2420fmeg38.jpg
    This is when she hurt her neck in May.
    zk94ihq5if63.jpg This one is from this week
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    @DancingMoosie ....what a sweet dog!! Those eyes!!!
  • saltysparkle
    Options
    @Ccricfo, glad to hear Darwin is doing better!
    @CoachFrenchie, what's up with your pup and the antibiotics? Tummy trouble?
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    @saltysparkle ....Shadow has Lyme disease. She had it when we purchased her and we only found out when we took her for her vaccines. Even though we had given her Trio protection as soon as we got her. Which means she had it when we bought her....😪
  • saltysparkle
    Options
    @CoachFrenchie , I'm sorry. That's rough. And I know the feeling of going through the process of getting a dog only to find out they are not as healthy as you were led to believe! When we took ours to her vet appointment two days after adoption, the vet flat-out said, "Where did you get this dog? Take her back!" She had 8 tumors and was going to need at least two surgeries. We said we were keeping her and he said, "Well, at least make the rescue org pay for this," and the good news is, they did. But the emotional rollercoaster was hard, as was helping a brand-new family member through treatment, so you totally have my sympathy.