August 2020 to Jan 2021 Declutterfest

Options

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier Great plan that you have in place, and such a positive take on everything! Thanks for sharing your lovely picture. I also love deciphering your various 'signatures' on your posts 🧐 .

@nebslp can't wait to see your quilting project picture!!

@MadisonMolly2017 you wrote "Oh fairy lights have been 6-7 years now! And I’m creating every day!" That's wonderful that you are creating every day! What a gift to be so very creative, along with so many others here.

I just love reading about all the creativity here 🤩 . Y'all please keep sharing 👩‍🎨 your stories and learning experiences as well, while inspiring one another, as well as us onlookers 👀 .

I suppose that when my children would leave their Christmas lights up in their room all year long that may have been the beginning of 'fairy lights', unbeknownst to us all 😄.
    I've only recently started hearing about them, so I'm still back in the dark ages (in this case literally 😁) about some things 😵 🤣 . My creative DD sends me pics of her fairy lights and creative decorative additions to her place. I love that.

Well, it is now the beginning of November. I so hope that we all continue decluttering together. We all have been bringing spaciousness, as well as peace and calmness, to our favorite rooms and creative spaces, and our homes as a whole.
    This has been especially important during these truly unexpected course of events brought on by the pandemic/ natural disasters, and events and situations both nation and world wide. Doing this together has truly been a source of comfort, laughter, as well so much inspiration.

I also take great delight when those unexpected, more commonplace spaces, such as our kitchen drawers or spice cabinet take on a new kind of organized beauty.
    Or especially when a tucked away corner of our yards, or a lesser or unused spaces, or rooms in our homes takes center stage for a short while. That is when we give them a brand new use or a dramatic new look, just because we began to see them from a brand new perspective.

So, let us continue on......

🤠🌺
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @texasgardnr and others who responded to me! I appreciate your kind words so much. I'm sorry I've been having trouble keeping up. Hopefully, I'll do better in November.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,000 Member
    Options
    @texasgardnr
    My fairy lights are old Xmas tree light strings, but the explosion of fairy lights was due to LED’s!! Inexpensive & last forever!

And yes, my decluttering is a rest of life habit. Just is natural to me now.

Today, I cleared out some old plastic bags.

Yesterday, cleared out a whole box of things I’d put there “to decide on the future.”

The day before that, cleared porch of give away objects no one wanted (everyone is decluttering LOL)

Earlier this week I worked in old recipe clippings. Tried to do a “27 Thing Fling” but only got to 15 :)

As some of the rest of you have mentioned, I am unsubscribing left & right, which is vastly decreasing electronic clutter!

Using up bits & drabs of soaps & lotions! LOL it all sounds so silly, but it DOES open, as you said, Spaciousness & my main reason for doing it was to Create Room for New Interests & Pursuts❣️❣️

It was so nice to pull our my small clearly labeled Halloween box which only had the items I love & use!!!!

Soon, I shall do that for the Christmas stash :)

Best,
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Thank you, @texasgardnr and others who responded to me! I appreciate your kind words so much. I'm sorry I've been having trouble keeping up. Hopefully, I'll do better in November.

@PKM0515
    We are so glad you are here!
    “Progress, not Perfection.”
    “Self-kindness is crucial, not selfish”
    It can take a few months to get the hang of it! We are here to help!

❤️
    Maddie
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier What a great picture! You look so happy and pretty.

I’m getting some ideas for decluttering areas that are tucked away and totally ignored...recipes? A million and one and I don’t even cook anymore🙄. I have gone through the recipe books that set out in the pantry, but there’s a cupboard I can barely reach that needs some love soon. November project maybe.

The best part of decluttering is opening that drawer or walking into a room that looks so much better than when it had things out of place or stuffed inside❣️
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @PKM0515 we are glad that you are hanging out with us here! No worries about anything... declutter and post whenever you can 💖.

@MadisonMolly2017, that definitely makes sense that LED lighting has opened up many wonderful ways to use lighting now!

@nebslp and @MadisonMolly2017 Yes! It has been soooo freeing to pass on unused cookbooks as well as to get rid of the majority of the recipes that I thought sounded so yummy, but I have never tried after all this time. Cooking and baking new things are not very high on my fun to do list, but occasionally I get inspired. So now I have just 3 small cookbooks, and also a small binder with sheet protectors in which I have put all the recipes that have been family favorites, seasonal recipes, special ones that have been passed on to me that we have all enjoyed, and the few internet recipe finds that have been winners. All the 'some day' recipes are gone except for a few of them that I put in the binder in the proper area.... that delicious sounding soup recipe is tucked in there with the other soup/ stew recipes that we already like. So it has a greater chance of being chosen if I'm searching for a soup for dinner. It took several pass throughs for me to finally know that I would never use all that I once thought I would.

Decluttering since my last post about it:

November 2

About half of the 'chair pile' was sorted, and acted on, and put back into the proper folders and then back into the filing cabinet today. I sorted through some of what remains and will work on those three folders next.

I also decluttered any miscellaneous paper that I could find.

🤠🌺
  • nebslp
    Options
    I have woowoo moments with my sister ALL the time...always have, but I had one with you folks so what does that say for our relationships???!!! I hadn't ever thought about putting up fairy lights in my sewing/everything room until it was mentioned here. Then last night my granddaughters called me on KidsMessenger (it's kinda like Zoom) and the 10 year old showed me that she had just put up fairy lights in her room, and the 12 year old had them up, too. LoVe connections!

@texasgardnr That must feel amazing to know how much progress you have made with your table, and now your chair decluttering in such a short time!

I had another jackpot moment this morning. I mopped under my bed and all the dust bunnies came hopping out in the form of 3 socks and a t-shirt that I hadn't seen all summer (eye roll)! It's not that I haven't mopped under there, but apparently not very thoroughly. But then I looked in a small bag in my room that's been setting around forever and found ....
    a DQ card, Hobby Lobby card, and a JoAnn's card. Total value...$80.25!!!! Last year's Christmas presents and who knows where the DQ card came from?! Now if only I could go shopping (sigh). And our DQ is temporarily closed (sigh, sigh). They don't expire so I'm OK. I'm looking forward to the future:)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,805 Member
    Options
    @nebslp wow you won the lotto! with those dust bunnies. Did you find a black sock by any chance? Left one? :#
    My declutterfest today consisted of taking a scissors to the weeds popping up in my lawn. Just saved $45 by doing that little bit by hand instead of paying for a full mow and trim which I did not need. How is it possible that I have SPRING weeds starting to show up?
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier I DID!!! I DID! I DID find a black sock!!! About a week ago when I mopped under my bed (as I said, I must not be doing a very good job, so maybe I shouldn't even bother to clean under there???!)! It was fuzzy enough to have legs and hop right under there. Anyway, I took a pic with my phone but don't have mfp on it and have to use my iPad to send pics. So now I'm on my computer and can't send it, so I took a picture of it from my phone with my iPad and will send it later to see if you can identify it as yours. Don't get your hopes up, though. I think it might be the right one, so ???
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    this is great news! Please send it on the next blue norther down to Texas!!!!

And hey perhaps next time you mop under there you will find an iron?!! B)>:)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    But what do I do with the iron if it ever does show up? 🤣

I love my new one❤️❣️❤️❣️❤️

Maddie, aka the Iron Traitor
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @nebslp, I found a QVC gift card on my old bedroom floor a couple of weeks ago!

Today I decluttered a bunch of political ads and "you haven't voted yet" fliers that I've been getting in the mail recently. My ballot was "decluttered" in the appropriate receptacle outside our municipal building.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Today, I removed a ton of cobwebs from the garage!!!

And washed jeans by hand that had been sitting there awhile. Good arm & hand workout! Haha

And that was before breakfast lololol

Last night I organized & found a spot for all my natural items, sorted by color (of course)!

• texasgardnr
    Options
    November 3

Paper: More of the 'chair pile' was taken care of today. There was quite a bit of extra work that had to be done on this portion. Both of these folders are back in the file cabinet.

Digital: Working again on email. I was not staying on top of it for about a week or so.

Stuff: Started to declutter kid/guest/catch-all room 😵.

🤠🌺
  • PKM0515
    Options
    More junk mail, scraps of paper, old receipts...
  • nebslp
    Options
    The mystery of a lost black sock is solved. @SummerSkier is this the right one? Maybe left? Can’t tell under all the fuzzies🤪 🐰 🐇
    b4xx3lsakuf2.jpeg
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    hahaha!!! I finally get a chance to disagreee!!!! (ok I will take it off later because I don't want you to get in trouble with the POOOOOOOlice). That is NOT MY SOCK... ;)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My husband and I began fixing up the basement, and are finishing one half of it. Well, technically one half of it is already finished by original owners of the house, but it needs a facelift really badly. So...that's my focus for declutterfest right now. I also have a digital declutter I'd like to begin working on. So....

My husband finished painting over the paneling and the other three walls yesterday, so the walls are all nice and white, bright and clean looking. Yea! He will be laying carpet at some point and installing more light fixtures in the ceiling also. IN the meantime, my part is to declutter and find a place for the things I want to keep. This room runs the length of our house and is half the width. So I will have a sewing/quilting area, a book nook area to read and relax with an area for my treadmill and weights, etc. I'm so excited!

I will also begin going through documents and photos on my computers....deleting some and moving others to the cloud so I don't lose them if my computer dies!

I'll begin these challenges tomorrow, but wanted to be accountable by listing my goals here for now.

Woo Hoo! I love a good decluttering.... :mrgreen:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB your basement sounds like a dream come true space for you!! What an amazing project for you and your husband to be working on together!

November 4

Paper: A lot of miscellaneous papers with notes or to do lists, (obviously never did 😁, and why did they ever end up in there 🧐?). Store receipts with notes written on them just in case something needed to be returned (from Christmas 2017 🎄). Store tags from some clothes purchased (in case I wanted to purchase again, but on line next time, but never did 👕). I tend to stick paper items that I want to keep for a while in my top drawer right up against the drawer side so they stay readable. Well obviously I forget about them as they become quite invisible. This isn't the first time I've found forgotten paper like this 🤪 .

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Hi everyone! My husband and I began fixing up the basement, and are finishing one half of it. Well, technically one half of it is already finished by original owners of the house, but it needs a facelift really badly. So...that's my focus for declutterfest right now. I also have a digital declutter I'd like to begin working on. So....

My husband finished painting over the paneling and the other three walls yesterday, so the walls are all nice and white, bright and clean looking. Yea! He will be laying carpet at some point and installing more light fixtures in the ceiling also. IN the meantime, my part is to declutter and find a place for the things I want to keep. This room runs the length of our house and is half the width. So I will have a sewing/quilting area, a book nook area to read and relax with an area for my treadmill and weights, etc. I'm so excited!

I will also begin going through documents and photos on my computers....deleting some and moving others to the cloud so I don't lose them if my computer dies!

I'll begin these challenges tomorrow, but wanted to be accountable by listing my goals here for now.

Woo Hoo! I love a good decluttering.... :mrgreen:

Oh @PackerFanInGB !!!
    This sounds just perfect!! And what a wonderful husband! Your happiness & excitement are palpable through my phone!!!

I found (for me) focusing on one Decluttering Task at a time kept me feeling productive & not overwhelmed. I wonder if the computer decluttering can become second or first? You can probably download all of that to a hard drive until the basement is all fixed up.

Just some thoughts!

Big hugs.
    Maddie