TDEE Calculations

Options
2»

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Correction: it's 14 for women:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

I should say I am fairly active as I walk everywhere and fidget constantly. BF is probably low 20's, I never bothered to estimate it more precisely.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    That was a really interesting article. Still blows my mind that my TDEE estimates so high, but if I go by the 10cal/lb that he mentions for weight loss, that puts me at 2190 calories daily, still higher than I am now. I wish the end of next week were here so I could take my one month progress pictures! That might help me see if there is any difference in my body composition.
    Now, from that estimated maintenance value, say someone wants to lose fat. A reasonable reduction for a moderate deficit diet might be 20% below maintenance which is 3 cal/lb (e.g. 15 cal/lb * 0.2 = 3 cal/lb). So ~14-6 cal/lb becomes ~11-13 cal/lb. Bodybuilders have long used 10-12 cal/lb as a starting point for fat loss; turns out they weren’t all idiots after all.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Correction: it's 14 for women:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

I should say I am fairly active as I walk everywhere and fidget constantly. BF is probably low 20's, I never bothered to estimate it more precisely.

ooh that comes up quite similarly to the other one at 2520 then..
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Body weight x 19 is closer to what I need.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    That was a really interesting article. Still blows my mind that my TDEE estimates so high, but if I go by the 10cal/lb that he mentions for weight loss, that puts me at 2190 calories daily, still higher than I am now. I wish the end of next week were here so I could take my one month progress pictures! That might help me see if there is any difference in my body composition.
    Now, from that estimated maintenance value, say someone wants to lose fat. A reasonable reduction for a moderate deficit diet might be 20% below maintenance which is 3 cal/lb (e.g. 15 cal/lb * 0.2 = 3 cal/lb). So ~14-6 cal/lb becomes ~11-13 cal/lb. Bodybuilders have long used 10-12 cal/lb as a starting point for fat loss; turns out they weren’t all idiots after all.

ooh 10 cals per lb puts me at BMR. Not sure I like the idea of that!
  • bumblebums
    Options

Well, BMR/RMR is an estimate, just like TDEE. You can measure it more precisely with gizmos (that I don't know much about, but I see them mentioned in exercise science studies so there is a way).

Eating at estimated BMR is not as dangerous as MFP forums would lead you to believe, especially if you have some body fat to spare.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

Just remember that all of these things are estimates -- your individual body's results will guide you after you've got good data. If you've been weighing and measuring for a week, give it another week and then see what's up. At that point you will have pictures, measurements, and weight, and you'll be able to make an informed decision!

I am 5'4" and 50 years old. My weight has gone from 226 to 190 in the past 8 months. My body fat is probably around 45% during that time (I don't really trust the BF calcualtors very much). My observed TDEE based on my results has been about 2600-2700. And I've been eating at 2000-2200 and losing weight. So yeah, you might be right where you need to be, or you might be eating a touch too many calories.

If you do need to drop your calorie goal, don't drop it too much at a time. Just dropping it 100 calories might make a big difference. When I have tried to drop mine radically, my lifting suffers immensely -- and so do all my loved ones as I start alternately snapping at them and sobbing uncontrollably :wink:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Question, possibly a silly one. When calculating TDEE, my activity options are:

Little or no exercise (ex: desk job)
    Light exercise (ex: exercising 1-3 days/week)
    Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week)
    Heavy exercise (ex: exercising 6-7 days/week)
    Daily exercise (ex: exercising 7 days/week and working a physical job)

So, I lift 3x a week. Is that moderate excercise? Because quite frankly, it feels pretty heavy to me but heavy is only based on days per week, not effort. What do you all use? I sit at a desk all day (or stand now that I've rigged it for standing) but that doesn't contribute to exercise at all, LOL.

I life 3x a week too, with 3-4 days cardio. But when I used 6x a week for my TDEE calculation I wasn't losing anything after close to a month, maybe even gained (after initially losing a couple weeks into lifting). So I recently cut down to using 3x a week for TDEE to see if that helps. Hopefully it does since you burn more doing cardio, but lifting gives you that nice afterburn. We'll see...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    All of this makes my brain hurt. :grumble:
    A conservative estimate on the activity wheel TDEE thing put me at 3900-ish. The body weight x 14 puts me at 3700-ish, Scooby has me at 2700-ish for lightly active (I still go by sedentary which is around 2100), and my FitBit (I stopped wearing it) had me (on average) at 2300-ish. I've estimated that I'm approx 40-45% BF.

So, who knows.
  • lwoodroff
    Options

Well, BMR/RMR is an estimate, just like TDEE. You can measure it more precisely with gizmos (that I don't know much about, but I see them mentioned in exercise science studies so there is a way).

Eating at estimated BMR is not as dangerous as MFP forums would lead you to believe, especially if you have some body fat to spare.

lol not that I think it would be dangerous, other than I'd end up bingeing as I get SOOO HUNGRY! :)
  • bumblebums
    Options

lol not that I think it would be dangerous, other than I'd end up bingeing as I get SOOO HUNGRY! :)

You actually do *not* have that much body fat to spare, and you lift, so you would probably need a fairly conservative deficit. Especially if adherence is a problem.

Y'all ladies are tracking your intake using a digital food scale and are getting plenty of protein and fiber, right? Protein and fiber really help me with staying full, so I eat lots of "bulky" foods like dark leafy greens and legumes.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    yeah, I'm actually happy at where I'm at, I know I've put on a bit since starting lifting but I'd rather take it slow, look at turning some of that pooch into muscle over the next few.. oh let's say.. years.. than try to 'lose' weight per se. I'm a total foodie though and have some slightly worrying tendencies to secret eat/eat my feelings/not stop when I'm full, so MFP keeps me honest (mostly!). As long as I'm not going to put the nearly 50lbs back on, I'm cool :)

ETA yes my diary is open, lots of veg and protein, probably a bit too much fat and sugar but this is LIFE and I intend to LIVE it happily, not die hungry and grumpy :)
  • bumblebums
    Options
    yeah, I'm actually happy at where I'm at, I know I've put on a bit since starting lifting but I'd rather take it slow, look at turning some of that pooch into muscle over the next few.. oh let's say.. years.. than try to 'lose' weight per se. I'm a total foodie though and have some slightly worrying tendencies to secret eat/eat my feelings/not stop when I'm full, so MFP keeps me honest (mostly!). As long as I'm not going to put the nearly 50lbs back on, I'm cool :)

ETA yes my diary is open, lots of veg and protein, probably a bit too much fat and sugar but this is LIFE and I intend to LIVE it happily, not die hungry and grumpy :)

I think my *lowest* fat intake for any day is still higher than your highest. I am a fiend when it comes to fat. No enemy of sugar, either :)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm getting around 150g of protein per day, less than or around 100g of carbs, and the rest of the calories are from fat (so lots!). Got my scale a week ago and have been using it religiously since then. Have to say, my measuring cups/spoons are ridiculously accurate to the grams needed for each food, so that's good.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm sorta confused. That 14 x body weight, is that to find your tdee and you eat less than that, or is that the amount you should be eating to lose? I did mine and came up with 1750. I hope that's with your cut already included cuz if I have to eat less than that...UGH. Just ugh.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I'm sorta confused. That 14 x body weight, is that to find your tdee and you eat less than that, or is that the amount you should be eating to lose? I did mine and came up with 1750. I hope that's with your cut already included cuz if I have to eat less than that...UGH. Just ugh.

TDEE is your total daily expenditure. You eat that amount to maintain your weight. If you want to weigh less than you currently do, eat less than your TDEE. If you want to weigh the same, eat your TDEE. Although the actual TDEE is not as simple as 14 x body weight--it will depend on your circumstances and activity type and level.