Cannot lose weight with synthroid and cytomel

Options
Hi all,

I had my thyroid removed 8 years ago due to cancer. I was able to lose weight and maintain it until 2 years ago. My Endo kept adjusting my meds lowering because the test showed it was borderline hyper. This year I asked her to add cytomel to synthroid; hence she lowered synthroid to 88mmg and added .5 cytomel (2 in the am and 2 in the pm). Had blood test again and she told me to only take 2 cytomel per day. I have not been able to lose an ounce even though I exercise at the gym 5 days a week taking classes and weights and writing down everything I eat. I am not hungry many times I eat because I need to. I do not snack or eat sugar or treats. I even tried garcinia supplement mentioned by Dr Oz and Green coffee bean extract and NOTHING!

I want to join Weight Watchers but since I keep a journal now and I'm not losing wait, I don't want to pay for it. I am 58 years old and have always exercised and ate lots of veggies, fish, chicken, fruit. I don't eat lots of carbs either. So does anyone out there have the same experience? I am taking generic cytomel. The next blood test will bein November andI bet she will tell me that TSH is high!!! Help!

Teresa

Replies

• gerberdaisy40
    gerberdaisy40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Teresa,
    I am going through the same challenges.. Sigh. I am 42 and I was diagnosed with Graves disease about 3 years ago as my thyroid was hyper. My Endo insisted that I do the radioactive iodine uptake pill therapy. So my thyroid has been shrunk to nothing now. I have been on Sytnroid since then and started taking the generic Cytomel last year in addtion to it. I have been doing weight training religiously twice a week since the beginning of 2013 and I also do hot yoga. It took me 6 months to lose 5 lbs but I lost inches... then this summer I was a little more relaxed with my eating of carbs, sugar and wine and everything came back instantly. I am so frustrated... I had a trainer for the first three months. She says I have to add serious cardio to fight this... I do not know how to fit all this in my packed schedule. I found a website online www.lowtyroiddiet.com. It talks about foods to eat and avoid.. I am thinking of trying to go gluten free and cut out all sugar, wine and simple carbs and see if anything happens. I am so frustrated and tired that I am obsessed with my situatuon and I am sure that stress is not helping. I am so regretful for not trying the drug therapy first but I was told there was 90% chance for it not to work and all the drugs might hurt my liver so I took the radioactive pill and now there is no going back :-( If you find anything that works, please let me know... I thought of trying the green bean coffee extract but my friend told me not to take it unless I talk to my endo first and they won't return my calls about it. I do not want to pay another co-pay just to see her to ask about that so I never got the pills. I guess I saved myself money since you are saying they do not work.
    Gerberdaisy
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience. Synthroid did not help me lose weight. It did help me feel better and my hair stopped falling out. What has helped me was lower carb diet and being very diligent.
  • gerberdaisy40
    gerberdaisy40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok... so I have been trying to eat gluten free the last two weeks. Not perfect but as much as I can... still working out 3-4 times a week, two of those sessions being hot yoga. I was able to lose 2 lbs but that is probably water weight.
    Keep on keeping on!
  • unclecrystal
    unclecrystal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am taking 137ug of synthroid and 25ug of cytomel and I still cannot lose weight like a normal person. Without the cytomel I can barely get out of bed though- so at least it helps me function. I am 26 and have had Hashimotos/hypothyroidism since I was 11. The only way I was ever able to lose weight was running 25-30 miles a week and starving. The running took a toll on my knees and we all know starving is not a permanent solution. I lost 40 pounds a few years ago, kept it off for about two years and have gained 25 -30 pounds back just in the last three-four months without changing my habits. And what a surprise my thyroid was off again, I think taking cytomel has helped with the recent weight gain, but no medication has ever helped with weight loss. It's so frustrating I wish there was an easier way!
  • a_dogsbestfriend
    a_dogsbestfriend Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OMG, this is the worst! I am in the same boat. I put on 50 pounds when my thyroid switched from hyper to hypo. I'm on both synthroid and cytomel and have been dieting and exercising like never before and can't lose a pound! My doctor just shrugs his shoulders, but it is so frustrating!!

Has anyone had better luck with Armour?

What about doing a paleo autoimmune protocol?
  • TeresaPageau
    TeresaPageau Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a Hypo survivor! I call myself a survivor as I think I have finally found what works for me after 15+ yrs living with Hypothyroidism. I currently am on Synthroid and Cytomel (which I TOLD my new doctor I needed), yes, I bullied him into listening to me. I dumped my old endocrinologist (he was an old school guy who would not even look into my suggestions!)
    I had gained over 50 lbs and was pretty depressed about it! I went to the gym 5 days a week and nothing...nothing!! I at that point gave up, figured I was doomed to gain 5 lbs a year for the rest of my life until I could not fit into my front door anymore!! HAHA...not funny but thats how I felt, ugly, fat, and don't even talk to me about sexy!! My poor hubby!!

Anywho...I found Atkins..started with that, moved onto Paleo/Primal way of eating and lo and behold...I started to loose weight...and fast too!! I lost a total of 30 lbs in less than 6 months!! I have been maintaining said weight loss just eating HFLC. (High fat, low carb) NO sugars, NO breads, NO pasta, No processed foods, Minimal fruit (berries occasionally). If we go back to cooking like our parents did, thats the good stuff right there!!
    I feel GREAT!! I am hoping to be weened off of my meds totally!! I have already dropped my BP meds, my cholesterol meds and hoping the Thyroids meds are next!. You CAN cure yourself! Just eat REAL food, nothing in a box, bag or with a shelf life longer than your pets lifespan!
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes! Lower carb and lots of awesome veggies. Synthroid was not a magic pill