What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    Options
    I take every opportunity to move throughout the day. And my Fitbit gives me a nudge if I sit too long. NEAT is my new BFF
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    jules7890 wrote: »
    Got on the scale today and am down 1.2 lbs :smiley:
    I was very happy. I'm still aiming for the under group. A big milestone. slow and steady...

Yay!! Good job. I tell myself slow and steady wins the race all the time.
  • KCJen
    Options
    I just read this article on MFP blog page, and I wanted to share it with the group. Is this set-point theory real? Will I always struggle as a fat person once I lose weight because my body wants to return to a fat person? I think my struggles with my weight is due to the fact I am a "yo-yo" dieter. Once I get happy with my weight I stop tracking, eating right, and exercising. Can you "reset" a set-point?

Here is the article: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-ways-to-change-your-set-point-weight/

I would love to hear what everyone in UAC has to say about this.
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    @KCJen I believe we can choose a new set point, and find a way to stay there. I am happy and comfortable where I am now, and determined to do whatever it takes to stay right here!
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    PS: I read the article and it gives excellent advice on resetting your set point. I can vouch for the efficacy of these methods.
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @KCJen - I yo-yo consistently. It seems I lose 25-30 pounds in 4-5 months, gain it all back, a bunch of months pass, I lose 25-30 pounds, repeat for decades ... Since the beginning of November 2019, I have been trying a different approach. I lost 5 pounds, then did maintenance for a month or two at that weight. Then I lost another 5 pounds and then maintained that new weight for a month or two. When I got down to 20 pound lost at the end of May of 2020, I decided to try to maintain that weight for a bit. I am still maintaining that weight even though I have 10 more pounds or so to go. My body seems quite content right now and I’m not hungry or struggling so I am going to stay here for now. This is the first time I’ve ever maintained for this long. My plan is to stay here until mid January 2021 and then lose another 5. Wait a few months and then try for the last 5. This seems to be working and I don’t feel like my body is doing everything it can to get to a higher weight.
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    I find that meditation helps. Practicing gratefulness also helps. There are lots of videos on YouTube which can help you reframe your thoughts. This is the one I am currently using. It sets me up for the day.

https://youtu.be/MFGOqhO2oVM
  • KCJen
    Options
    @KCJen I believe we can choose a new set point, and find a way to stay there. I am happy and comfortable where I am now, and determined to do whatever it takes to stay right here!

@TerriRichardson112 I agree with you. I am determined to change my set-point! I read some more articles on it and I think it is possible to change it, but it will take some time to adjust.
  • KCJen
    Options
    @KCJen - I yo-yo consistently. It seems I lose 25-30 pounds in 4-5 months, gain it all back, a bunch of months pass, I lose 25-30 pounds, repeat for decades ... Since the beginning of November 2019, I have been trying a different approach. I lost 5 pounds, then did maintenance for a month or two at that weight. Then I lost another 5 pounds and then maintained that new weight for a month or two. When I got down to 20 pound lost at the end of May of 2020, I decided to try to maintain that weight for a bit. I am still maintaining that weight even though I have 10 more pounds or so to go. My body seems quite content right now and I’m not hungry or struggling so I am going to stay here for now. This is the first time I’ve ever maintained for this long. My plan is to stay here until mid January 2021 and then lose another 5. Wait a few months and then try for the last 5. This seems to be working and I don’t feel like my body is doing everything it can to get to a higher weight.

@readyornot1234 This is so encouraging to me! I have always been a yo-yo lol. I need to learn how to maintain the current weight as I lose the rest to my healthy goal weight. Thanks for sharing this!!
  • KCJen
    Options
    @josefinejem I started quilting again when the lockdown happened in the US. And I finally turned off the news for a while because it was too scary. I am now back watching the news to be informed but not scared. I was watching tv and eating, so I was glad to start my quilting again - and trying to keep my Peace Lilly plant alive! For what it's worth - you have us in the UAC to chat with to help get thru the lockdown. I looked at the lockdown time to work on the "whenever I get the time" list - so that helped. And I played video games with my son. :) Stay safe!
  • readyornot1234
    Options
    @KCJen - they are so cute. And, yes, mini Dutch ovens would be adorable!! But probably not needed. I love the big mug/soup bowls. I have them in red. They are so nice to eat soup out of. Enjoy!
  • KCJen
    Options
    @readyornot123 red would be nice! I do have my eye on a nice pumpkin dutch oven but I haven't seen it at Home Goods yet. I have all white so I can change color easily with tablecloths and table decorations. I am full of ideas now and eager to get cooking!
  • readyornot1234
    Options
    @KCJen - let me know how it goes. The kids are all grown and moved out. My husband eats far too much takeout. You’re inspiring me to start preparing single servings in ramekins so we can eat healthy during the week when crunched for time.