Going to the gym - Comments please!

Options
awlosing30
awlosing30 Posts: 38 Member
I only have 45 minutes at the gym this evening...what are the best workouts to do to burn the most calories? I have bad knees so i really can't do HIIT or running hard. Im seeing great results with low-calorie dieting and burning approx. 300 calories at the gym on the elliptical, spin bike and doing body weight exercises and light weight lifting - mostly just for my arms (i have to have definition there). And i push it the wholw time...i dont lolly gag around the gym. But I'd really like to get the most bang for my buck and step up my workouts without injuring myself. Comments PLease!

Replies

• Manuela007
    Options
    I have had two knee ops and I can't run or do a lot of exercise that puts pressure on my knees so I use a bike and do 30 minutes and burn aroudn 320-340 cals depending on the speed etc....

That works for me.
    :smile:
  • LauriTerrell
    LauriTerrell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a pool, swimming is phenomenal for burning calories and is easy on all your joints!
  • Pizazz16
    Pizazz16 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes, swimming! I've spent A LOT of time at the pool this summer. It IS a phenomenal calorie burner. Also, don't be afraid to MODIFY your exercises. You can still get a GREAT workout and reduce the risks of injuries. I modify whenever necessary - my knees hurt, too.
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells are super fun too and you burn about 20 calories a minute. I have a bad knee too and after a few weeks of going to the gym I started integrating harder exercises into my routines. I've gone so far as to start lifting heavy weights...burns a boat load of body fat and tones really nicely too.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Also try doing speed intervals for variety on the elliptical or bike (the one I use isn't an actual spin bike but it's an upright one). One 30 minute workout my trainer has me do is 10 minutes on the bike at 80 rpm, then for the next 10 minutes I do 15 seconds at 100-110 rpm and 45 seconds back at 80 rpm, then finally the last 10 minutes back steady at 80 rpm. This is with a little resistance (2 or 3). I haven't used the bike much so you could increase the speed/resistance if that sounds too easy for you.