who chose raw for weightloss and did it help u ?

Options
embersdream
embersdream Posts: 401 Member
hi, just curious as to who lost weight after going raw? i lovemy raw food but havent felt to go all raw , im probably 50-60% raw and the rest is mostly paleo

Replies

• JessiGoodwin
    Options
    I ate 100% raw in the month of July and lost 20 lbs!
    It definitely works for weight loss, plus my skin has been looking way better too... I'm eating around 50-80% raw now and plan to continue a large percentage of my diet raw going forward.
  • veg4ever
    veg4ever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ate 100% raw in the month of July and lost 20 lbs!
    It definitely works for weight loss, plus my skin has been looking way better too... I'm eating around 50-80% raw now and plan to continue a large percentage of my diet raw going forward.

When you were 100% raw for the month of July did you keep track of what you ate? Also, how often would you say you ate throughout the day? Sorry for all of the questions. Great job though!
  • JessiGoodwin
    Options
    I used the MFP journal to keep track of everything I ate. I wasn't really that hungry... Typically had a fresh smoothie for breakfast, a large salad or veggie wrap for lunch, and then a raw dinner. I'd also have a couple of snacks (fresh fruit, raw nuts, veggies, etc) between meals. :)
  • MandyLion76
    MandyLion76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am doing a raw juicing/blending cleanse for one week (I'm on day two), a one day liver cleanse, and then I plan to stick to raw for the rest of the month. After that 80/20 raw paleo. =)
    I'm using the MFP jounal to keep track of everything to make sure I'm getting everything I need.
    We will see how it goes!
  • JessiGoodwin
    Options
    I am doing a raw juicing/blending cleanse for one week (I'm on day two), a one day liver cleanse, and then I plan to stick to raw for the rest of the month. After that 80/20 raw paleo. =)
    I'm using the MFP jounal to keep track of everything to make sure I'm getting everything I need.
    We will see how it goes!

Good luck Mandy! I felt terrific when I was 100% raw - plus I feel much more in tune with my body now. I've noticed if I eat a little bit of processed food or certain soy items (like tofu) I feel like crap instantly (bloating and tummy ache). Its so nice to be in touch with your body and be able to hear its messages. :tongue:
  • MandyLion76
    MandyLion76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am feeling pretty darn great! I'm down almost 8 lbs. I'd like to slow it down a bit so I'm adding hemp powder and some peanut butter into the mix here and there. Not that I don't have a lot to lose, I certainly do, but I don't want to mess up my skin by shrinking to quickly (vanity strikes again!), so I'm adjusting my initial plans to something more long term and a little slower in weight loss. Clean eating at this point is what is really important to me and especially eating mostly raw fruits and veggies as it's better for my health and weight loss is a wonderful side affect! =)
  • siankearney
    siankearney Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When you were eating raw in July, what did a typical day of meals look like? I can't seem to find a free meal plan anywhere?
  • JessiGoodwin
    Options
    When you were eating raw in July, what did a typical day of meals look like? I can't seem to find a free meal plan anywhere?

Its funny you should mention that because I just started designing a website where I hope to share some raw menu planning ideas... When you are first learning about eating raw it can seem really overwhelming (it certainly has to me) but there is so little information available for planning out what you want to eat each day, and I find myself getting lazy and eating less and less raw as I get farther away from my July challenge.:frown:

My typical all raw day looked something like this:

BREAKFAST: I would usually drink a kale and fruit smoothie or occasionally make a raw 'soaked' oatmeal, or eat some cashew cream over fresh fruit with seeds sprinkled on top.

LUNCH: I'd usually eat salads or sometimes raw wraps (made in my dehydrator) filled with tons of fresh veggies

SNACKS: fruit and nuts

DINNER: I'd usually experiment and try out a variety of different recipes like raw chili, zucchini noodle 'pasta' dishes, Asian flavors with kelp noodles, hearty salads, etc.

TREATS: every few days or so I would make a fancy raw dessert, but I found that I had to be careful with those because they are usually FULL of nuts and end up pretty high in calories. Usually I would make mini versions of treats such as tiny key lime pies that I assembled in a mini muffin pan and stored in the freezer (melt in your mouth yummmmmm)... This helped keep my portions small and allowed me to indulge at the end of the day without blowing my food diary. :drinker:
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I went about 80-90% raw vegan two months ago. the other 10-20% were times when I'd see a great veggie recipe and was too curious not to try it, such as powdering cauliflower and adding an egg and a little rice flour to make a dough, then rolling it out to bake as "garlic bread". It was very yummy, but because of the egg, it had to be cooked. Another time was a personal pizza made from a portabello mushroom cap topped with crushed tomato, jalapeno and garlic and I just wanted to eat it warm.

A food dehydrator is your friend when going raw because you can make nut flour crackers and pie crusts for fruit tortes. I don't have a dehydrator, but after reading a raw vegan recipe book, I'm excited to get one someday. Oh, I should mention I'm gluten free, hence the nut and rice flours.

Though I'd been dieting for years unsuccessfully, I didn't change to this lifestyle to lose weight. I did it because I was gluten intolerant and so frustrated trying to find foods that didn't have wheat or wheat derivatives in them that I just said the heck with it, I'm shopping from the produce department from now on! The result has been a 21 lb loss in 8 weeks. I've always loved fruits and veggies (except bananas, just can't stand the yellow mongers) so it was an easy transition.

I used to juice, but I don't anymore because I want the fiber. Now I blend instead.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, what a great thread to read over.. im not there yet, its still the end of winter here ( seems like it0 and will be so mich easier when spring really kicks on
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I got inspiration from my friend, she went raw 2 years ago and now she is not chubby, full of energy. Am on raw (70%) for 3 weeks, my skin improved plus i feel I lost a bit of fat on my shoulders. Lets see how it goes further...
  • ThebabyYak
    ThebabyYak Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Raw Foodies YUM 50431383.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter