Share Your Food-Related Healthy Habits

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
I would love some suggestions! Do you meal plan for the week? Do you meal prep?

I live on my own and, I admit, tiredness/laziness often win out over healthy eating. I used to go to the store/farm market every day or two and just pick up what I needed.

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a thread!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    I make up a breakfast casserole and scoop out a serving ( well 3 servings in my house). I find it even better to scoop them in the evening, so breakfast is super easy. I’m a big fan of prepping.

I wash the veggies as soon as they come home from the farmers market (some can’t be washed ahead of time, of course). That way making up a salad or having fresh fruit or vegetables is easy, so I eat more of them.

I also only cook super two or three times a week - homemade food leftovers are better the second or third day. 🤣

Those are my healthy food habits.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thank you both!

I definitely need to start prepping the vegetables when I bring them home. My mother always did this. (She was the most wonderful cook and baker.)

I started using my crock pot, and I want to use it more. (It makes great rice among other things.)

Also, during COVID, I finally figured out how to roast vegetables in a way I enjoy. Orange peppers are particularly delicious. I even roasted canned chickpeas a couple of times (seasoned with Indian spices).

@77tes -- you reminded me that I want to try a muffin tin breakfast idea. If I can locate the recipe (or a similar one), I'll edit my post and add a link.

https://kaynutrition.com/2019/11/egg-muffins-red-pepper-spinach/
    https://www.nourishedsimply.com/roasted-pepper-spinach-egg-muffin/

(There are lots of similar recipes out there.)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    ok - on my computer now. @77tes I agree with you about the leftovers for sure! And for us single gals it's really important if we are going to cook.

I am actually pretty boring right now. I tried to branch out a little in Oct but found I guess I really like my current meals so did not continue looking for change. I get the prepackaged Broccoli / Cauli which you just microwave for 3 minutes. I cook up a couple of those and prep 3-4 days of lunch salads with other veggies in them and a dressing I love so they marinate a little bit in the fridge. I also prep a banana dessert with protein powder which goes in the freezer for my after dinner snack.

i don't "plan" my meals for the week and grocery shop that way per say because I tend to get the same things over and over again. My "list" is usually the items which I need (like draino!) which are not things I buy every week like water, half and half, almond milk etc

When I was losing I actually ate a bit more variety I think because I was more limited in my choices so it was a rotation type thing and also a little bit LESS of the current things.

I am not a huge cook but I do prepare my Dad's chili recipe once a year or so and portion it and freeze it to last several months.

summer
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    @PKM0515 , I used to make our breakfast casserole as muffins. So you should go for it.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    I’m in maintenance.

I eat the same breakfast (recently changed to oatmeal-yogurt-fruit-nuts-decaf coffee & 82% dark chocolate.

I’ve been making 4 servings of the oatmeal at a time. I eat one right away & weigh & refrigerate the other 3 to microwave the next few mornings. Easy!

Lunch: I used to eat the same lunch every day too, but I’m actively working on getting more variety.

In terms of prep... prepping vegetables for 15 mins worked but then we didn’t eat them...

So now I’m prepping veggies after breakfast for the two of us for the rest of the day.

We cook simple “real” dishes about 2-3 times a week, doubled, and eat the leftovers next day. My husband likes frozen dinners or a can of soup with toast (butter or PB) for dinner, so often I’ll have PB toast or some cheese with apple for dinner.

Roasted veggies are a hit in colder months with grilled frozen turkey burgers.

We eat a lot of microwaved frozen peas & Annie’s white or brown microwavable rice (2 svg per container)

Tuna on green salads

Grilled salmon, skinless chicken breasts

Shrimp cooked with Frontera green enchilada sauce

Tasty Bites:
    Bombay potatoes (with chick peas)
    And their lentils

Frozen dinners:
    Saffron Road
    Healthy choice
    Marta Paneer - Amy’s

Amy’s vegetarian chili “soup”

Fast, convenient, pretty healthy