Waist, hand or back for carrying your liquid?

Options
2»

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt that has two 6 oz. water bottles on it for longer runs. If it's getting upper 70s or higher I'll take along a 16 - 20 oz water bottle or Gatorade. I typically finish this off by mile 8 and dump it in a trash can on my long run route. I can't stand carrying something in my hand the second half of the run when you're more likely to be tired. It's a distraction to me. The remaining 6 oz water bottles on the belt are really more about psychological comfort than actual hydration. It's been 80+ here lately before sunup and I fill them mostly with crushed ice. It's all melted by the time I drink it but it tends to still be a tad cool and that feels nice.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Trick question. Haven't carried liquids ever for a run, including several hard 17-19 milers.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hand is really bad for form and can lead to injury.

Do you have a source for this? I've seen studies that show no ill effect and there are many world class ultra runners that use hand-held bottles.

I want to say I read it in an article by Justin Trolle. That said I don't have it handy.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I got a pouch flask that collapses as you drink from it so it doesn't slosh. I wear gym shorts with pockets and keep it in a pocket. It flattens and I hardly notice it, especially since I have gotten used to a DRIOD in a holster in the other pocket tracking my run.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I use the cambelbak waste belt. Holds a 21 oz bottle on my back and carries my keys and gels. It's a pain in the *kitten* when the water bottle is full, but when it's half gone, I hardly notice the belt is there. I definitely need my hands free for running, especially if I'm taking my dog. I've looked into camelbak backpacks and apparently they are tough on a runner's back because the water bounces more?
  • suannemarie
    Options
    12 oz Hand bottle. Has a neoprene strap that has a small zip pocket for ID that also fits a small snack, nice rubber grip with hand contouring. Holds itself on so i don't have to concentrate on gripping, lightweight, and it's nice for those mid-run fill ups at the water fountain. Been a really hot summer here (90-100+ degrees when I'm out and about for the past 2 months) so the water is a necessity.

Hydration backpacks chafe in my experience. I hate belts, so not an option I'd consider seriously. I have a roll-up .5 L bottle that works, but it's annoying to drink from as you have to up-end it or have lungs of steel to suck the water out. Just shove it in my pocket when I'm done.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have an ifitness 2 bottle belt. I like the belts because you can add more and more bottles when needed.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I tried to get away from carrying my nathan handheld after I realized it was actually bothering my shoulders, especially when full (I'd actually pour a good portion of it out) - I'm generally ok with no water up to ~12 miles. With my 26.2 training going on though, I've actually started taking a quick drive around the route and dropping off a couple of 20oz bottles and treats (banana or gel) around mile 8 and 15. I may need to look into a belt though, I'd like to take more frequent, smaller sips earlier on.
  • BarbB55
    BarbB55 Posts: 2
    Options
    For longer runs I wear a fuel belt from running room. But it does get loose.
    I do not like running with hand held bottle........throws my gait off and tires my carrying arm
  • ShellyBrowne
    ShellyBrowne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hand is really bad for form and can lead to injury.

Do you have a source for this? I've seen studies that show no ill effect and there are many world class ultra runners that use hand-held bottles.

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-running-training/study-looks-how-ultra-runners-hydrate?page=single
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That article is good stuff:

"Therefore, in order to optimize “racing” an ultra marathon, participants should strive to carry light loads close to their body (i.e. mid section or center mass) and attempt to “give up” weight later in a long race if pacers are allowed. Keep in mind all is not lost if an athlete chooses to carrying food and water the entire race as long as they eat and hydrate consistently each hour, carry any weight close to center mass, and avoid long periods of time carrying two, full handheld bottles. The two bottles will accelerate the feeling of fatigue along with unnecessarily increasing heart rate, breathing rate, and oxygen cost."
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I can't run with anything in my hands, hate it!

I'm on my second waist belt. I guess it's a good problem to have but my first "one size fits all" waist pack ended up getting too big for me (I prefer to wear it around my hips, but I couldn't even get it tight enough around my waist either :-( ). I couldn't make it small enough. Bouncing around was NOT going to work. I got a nathan sized belt and now I'm in heaven. I wish the little zip pocket was a little bigger, but other than that, no complaints. If I get the ultra bug, I'll look into getting a back pack option.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Where do you carry your water, Gatorade or whatever . . . waist, hand or back?

Why do you prefer it there? I have forever used a waist belt but it moves around a lot and loosens often. What is your preference?

I only carry if I'm running >13 miles..then i use a hydration belt, not a backpack and never ever a waterbottle in my hand. the thought of having to run with a bottle makes me cringe..even those hand hold-able water bottles.

I first started running, i'd carry a water bottle in my hand and hated it so much I ended up throwing it away 3 minutes in. Sometimes I carry small amounts of change and buy water from a store during this hot weather as in the UK we are not progressive thinking enough to have water fountains in our parks etc

experiment and see what you prefer and make sure you are well hydrated BEFORE you set off as well as during your run.