New-ish runner thinking of a full marathon. Opinions please?

Options
ze_hombre
ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
Ok, so I did C25K last year (finished in February if I remember right) and my distance PR is a tick over 10 miles. I am quite confident that I could do a half marathon. That's where the rub comes in. There is a marathon coming up in November that has a choice of a half or full run. A friend of mine thinks we have enough time to train for the full. I am a on the fence on this. I will eventually get to this distance but I don't want to rush into it. Bear in mind the ticker below is my weight loss since last August. At that time I was severely out of shape and could barely walk to the mailbox without getting winded (in my defense, we have a steep driveway lol).

So what are your thoughts. Is the full marathon a bit too ambitious? Should I save that check box for next summer?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How many miles a week/month are you running now?
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I too am a new runner, I ran my first 10k race in January, did a couple more, then ran a half in June . In training I was running 10 miles on my long run no problem. In the race the extra 3+ was a lot harder than I expected. I have read on here that a full is a world of difference away from a half. For what it's worth my advice would be to enter the half, do it well then move on to training for a full, next race.
  • ze_hombre
    Options
    How many miles a week/month are you running now?

I aim for at least two 5 mile runs during the week and a 10 mile run on the weekend. Sometimes I end up with three three mile runs during the week due to schedule and life. So far this month I am at nearly sixty miles. Last month is a bit skewed due to a foot injury that knocked me out for a couple weeks.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Do the half.

Based on your current fitness level, I think you will be setting yourself up for a miserable experience if you try to do the full.

I suggest that one have a base of ~25 miles per week for 12 to 18 months before starting a marathon training program.
  • ze_hombre
    Options
    Do the half.

Based on your current fitness level, I think you will be setting yourself up for a miserable experience if you try to do the full.

I suggest that one have a base of ~25 miles per week for 12 to 18 months before starting a marathon training program.

This is what my gut was telling me (although having actual numbers is better). Thanks!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Carson is dead on.

Do the half (and a few more), you'll know when you're ready for the next distance.

There is nothing fun about death march.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Carson, the wise one.

I also agree. You'll set yourself up for disappointment if you do the full marathon.....you'll be regretting it at mile 20.

I know it would feel like a great accomplishment running that distance, but you're more geared up for a half - why not do the half really well as opposed to the full and hating life through the whole thing?

Plus, if you start a full marathon training program and increase your mileage so much so soon, you'll set yourself up for injury. Your body just isn't ready for it yet.

Aim for an awesome half this year and an even more awesome full next year!

Good luck :)
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    Definitely half. On my first I followed a beginners training plan but the excitement got to me and I went out to fast. I was miserable the last 6 miles and then was sick after I finished. You'll only do that once as I have learned.

Do the half and enjoy the race and post race.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to do the half first.

Training is similar but obviously the distances not as long.

This will give you an idea if you want to go to the next level and do a full marathon.

I see running as a progression, 5k - 10k -21k - 42k. Not sure that skipping a milestone is a good idea. Especially going 10k - 42!

I am starting week 12 of a 16 week full marathon training program for my first full distance run at the end of Sept. There is no way I could have stayed with the program if I had not put the work in for the half first. That or at the very least given myself at least double + the time suggested to train.

Best of luck on however you choose to proceed.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As a proud members of the "Couch to Marathon Maniac" club I will tell you: stick with the half, there simply is not enough time to prepare for a full in 2 months from where you are. If you really want to work your way to a marathon you could be ready for one in February.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I agree that the half is a much better idea. Time is really short for a marathon build up. You would probably either end up overtrained and injured from building too fast or way undertrained from not building enough. Either way, the marathon would probably be a slow and painful experience.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Do the half.

^^ This ^^.

After the event, ramp up your base weekly mileage and aim for a spring marathon..you will be ready.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your heart is telling to not do it. I would listen to it. You know your body better than anyone else. The "standard" rules are a good guide but everyone is unique. Your personal limits might be higher or lower. You will be the best judge of your abilities.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Do the half.

This is what my gut was telling me (although having actual numbers is better). Thanks!

Go with your gut. Both bluefox9er and I did a marathon in our first year of running, but it was an I WILL DO THIS, not a "should I do this?" If you are willing to take on any amount of pain (and relish it) that's a different story. And definitely not for everyone, or even advisable. Carson is a great resource, and knows his s#!t. There are times in my training that I wish I had listened to his advice (rather than averaged is advice with my over-enthusiastic goals.) Best of luck to you!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Half... Try for the full next year after more running as a base. I am training for my first full in Nov. I have done 4 halfs, 6 before the full. I ran a long run of 18 miles last weekend. The time and ramping is so much different for a full. I love the half, it's fun to train for, the full is soooo time consuming! All I do is eat, run, and sleep!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the half! A half marathon is a great distance - you are currently in good shape to have a successful, fun race. As others have suggested - pick a spring or early summer race next year to set your sights on for a full. The training for a marathon is both physically and mentally taxing and that would be a TON to fit in in just 2 short months.