Can anyone help?

Options
Sami1601
Sami1601 Posts: 50 Member
I have bought a Vivoactive 3 only 3 weeks ago.

I have put my details into MFP. I dont do any exercise as such but I am trying to hit 10,000 steps a day, I dont manage to everyday but I am trying.

My question is does Garmin send to MFP any extra calories depending on the amount of steps I do? In Garmin connect it is showing significantly more calories for being active than MFP?

I am also on quite low calories in MFP and wondering if MFP has already put me in a deficit and do I eat back my step calories?

Thanks

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    During your MFP setup did you select you wanted to lose weight?

Then your eating goal will cause that.
    Is it less than what Garmin says you burn in total? (not active calories, not resting calories - Total)

That's called a deficit. A deficit from what MFP estimated you'd burn.
    At your selected activity level (Sedentary perhaps?), and no exercise accounted for.

Of course if you exercise, or do more than your selected activity level, then you are burning more than MFP estimated.
    So you eat more for the more you are doing, still have a deficit, and still lose weight.

Garmin sends a Total Daily Burn to MFP, which then corrects it's initial guess to that better figure, creates a deficit, and adjusts your eating goal.

Garmin is not getting that increased daily burn from steps directly, but from distance those steps takes you.
    So for that many steps, your stride length setting matters for accuracy.

Curious what figure in MFP you are seeing and comparing to Garmin calories for being active?
  • Mahhafooznit
    Mahhafooznit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My Garmin counts me doing steps even if I am sitting in a chair waving my arms around. It also says I have done 633 steps for extra -313 calories added to MFP. I am 250 lbs so does that mean just walking burns more calories than MFP guesses when I plug in 2.5 MPH for 10 minutes walking speed?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My Garmin counts me doing steps even if I am sitting in a chair waving my arms around. It also says I have done 633 steps for extra -313 calories added to MFP. I am 250 lbs so does that mean just walking burns more calories than MFP guesses when I plug in 2.5 MPH for 10 minutes walking speed?

Sadly Garmin doesn't make it easy to see how much distance those steps provided (Fitbit as example does, and it would be barely anything), and therefore calculated from that the calorie burn (barely anything).
    So false steps may increase that figure, but for balance activity trackers don't account for fact of being awake burning more than sleeping, but you are given sleeping burn rate for all non-step time.

Are you sure that Garmin Adjustment isn't negative calories?
    633 steps would typically be well below sedentary and therefore removing calories would be correct math.

Here's my normal case where outside the exercise - I'm way less than sedentary.

asaojdwgyzxs.png