2021 DECLUTTERFEST

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,003 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @77tes Sports bras are awesome! Not quite as good as going braless 🤫 but bearable. I think I got rid of my pantyhose because I will NEVER wear a dress again and I needed something to tie up my plants with😆. You’re getting a lot accomplished this month.

I’ve been finishing up all the small projects I had started in my sewing room. Tonight I finished sewing the back seam of a stocking hat I made several years ago but then I decided to make a flower to put on it so it’s still not done😟. Also finished weaving in yarn tails on a hot pad square I made a long time ago. I stuffed a Minecraft character pillow that I sewed last summer. And finished the binding on a hot pad. So that’s the kind of decluttering I’ve been focused on. My goal is to finish all started projects this year. I have two quilts started so it may take a year! I have a container that I use to put in a slip of paper saying what I started, finished, or worked on that day and date it. At the end of the year I’ll pull them out and be able to see that I actually accomplished something. I cleaned my living room closet today but have the tablecloth shelf to look at yet. I have too many but it’s hard to part with them.

What a clever approach @nebslp!
    What I thought would be an easy finish up in my living room closet ended up taking several hours. I gave one tablecloth to Good Will but kept all the others. My mind didn't see plastic or oilcloth tablecloths that I inherited, it saw potential waterproof beach or shopping bags, so they went back in the closet. I also store 7-8 original camera/binoculars/phone boxes in there. I went through all of the multi-language books and cardboard packing and ended up with a ton of recyclables. Now I have to figure out if I should recycle the empty boxes as well, but if there's one thing I love to collect, it's got to be sturdy containers (eye roll)! I'll think on it awhile. Maybe I'll only keep a couple. Baby steps.

What I began to do in cases like that I’d move the items to sewing/craft room. Soon, when I had a mound of pills clothes, linens, tablecloths, I realized I had more than enough & gave away some. I’m
    About to this again. I’m *considering* cutting up things that are not giveaway-able. Placing those into my remnants by color storage. I’m
    Also going to cut collars - there are cool
    Necklaces you can make $ pickets (great for handmade books/journals?)
    77tes wrote: »
    @nebslp I totally understand about the boxes. 🤣
    egpzl8h32fhc.jpeg

Count me IN the Box Brigade! I/we have gotten MUCH better since ordering from Amazon...there will be more boxes! The exception are cut small boxes that are perfect for hourlong s homemade box or pop/up!! Hahaha

I think I mentioned, I am moving all empty containers to guest room sofa bed and a closet. Once my husband has completed his room, and I’ve done one more pass of all sentimental, I will likely clear the lot of them so I can use the closet for completed art work...
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @77tes 😂🤣 I’m glad I’m not the only one!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    @77tes Sports bras are awesome! Not quite as good as going braless 🤫 but bearable. I think I got rid of my pantyhose because I will NEVER wear a dress again and I needed something to tie up my plants with😆. You’re getting a lot accomplished this month.

haha!! a good use for those nasties for sure. I wore hose a LOT when I first started working and towards the end of that era I found some really nice cheap LOW rise ones from Walgreens which were actually quite comfortable. Most of the normal one came up to my boobs. Even the short girl ones. But about the time they quit selling them I shifted to sandals anyway and I can still wear a skirt or dress but just no hose and of course below knee length.

Just checking in here since I was up at the crack of 4 am because my WATER came back and I could not wait another minute for a hot shower and to wash my hair after days and days...

@77tes My cats demand that I keep boxes for at least a few days for them to fully use. After that I use them in my garbage bin to line the bottom before I throw stuff away so the bin stays pretty clean. I also keep some of the large ones in my garage to use for wind blocks in the winter and to put the plants on when they come in. I don't know how many are going to come back after last week tho.

@texasgardnr has anyone been in touch with ? Worried as this has truly been a really craptastic/dire week here.

as far as bras. The sports bras are nice for running but just too much for wearing all the time. I can't really go braless so I found some fairly cheap ones online which I love. They are totally stretchy and comfy and do the job.

hopefully the link works. Hanes wirefree. And a small funny. I used to be a SMALL in running bras and stretchy ones. I have NOT gotten bigger but due to sizing inflation now I have to buy MEDIUMs. It's like they are trying to tell me my boobs have grown not that their sizing has changed. The complete opposite of how they deflate clothing sizes. So strange.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5YL66M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,836 Member
    Options
    I hope @texasgardnr is okay. I usually don’t declutter on Sundays, but today when I got in a file drawer, I found out printer photo paper fo our old printer. Since we now have only black and white, I messaged my daughter and she’ll be glad to take it. I also tossed a big stack of blank report cards from the school we used to operate and a pack of kindergarten graduation announcements which I could toss. Lots more room in that file drawer now.

I can’t dump the bras and stock if I ever dress up. I’ve got a 1960s cocktail dress that needs a period correct bra and nylons. But @nebslp I like you use for old stockings.

@MadisonMolly2017 , wow, you are amazing!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes isn’t it great when your “trash” can become someone else’s treasure! You will be needing those special items once the ballroom dancing begins again. Bet you can’t wait!

Today I went through a box of things from my mother. I now have more on my to-fix and finish pile. Any little bit of decluttering helps.
  • 77tes
    Options
    February 22 - I went through another drawer in my dresser. The pile wasn’t too big - lots of broken bits of jewelry. Sorry, no pictures today. 🤣
  • 77tes
    Options
    February 23 - I tackled one of my deep dresser drawers which holds jeans, workout pants, sweaters, and a couple swim suits. These things work well in a deep drawer. I threw out a pair of jeans that have holes as well as some ripped workout pants. I said, “You know you aren’t going to fix these because they are too far gone.”
  • nebslp
    Options
    Still working on my sewing room. I went through a folder of papers and recycled half of them. I found a pillowcase that my mother embroidered 50+ years ago. The bottom 3” had completely separated from the embroidered part so I reattached the pieces and added a ribbon trim. It actually worked out well to my surprise. Also fixed a bag my daughter made and used in Girl Scouts 30+ years ago and will give it to her. I put an elastic tie on a wine bottle cover that I stenciled back in the 80’s so now it’s usable. That was a fun box that I found yesterday! Then I got out a sweatshirt my other daughter gave me about 2 years ago. The sleeves had gathers midway down the arm that I didn’t like. I had fixed one arm awhile ago so I fixed the second one today and it is now wearable. Then I found some fleece that I was going to put crocheted edges on about 4 years ago but decided my skills were lacking. I decided to put a satin edging on it to finish it but need to buy that first. One more find...I cut out a robe for my granddaughter but it was too small. Since I have it ready to sew, I will finish it and figure out what to do with it later. What a relief it is to be getting so many small (and not so small) jobs done! I feel like a weight is being lifted in that room 😀
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Feb 20 finished bags & “nested” them
    Cleaned top of dresser except for a couple of decorative items

Feb 21 PJ & nightgowns folded a la Marie Kondo & placed in drawer vertically! I can find what I want now!

Feb 22 re-arranged scarves so small purses fit in the drawer, too.

You all are very inspiring!!! I love doing this together!

Arranged for another gift card replacement today! Spent a lot of time researching the Cricut Maker!

I will be turning my energies towards Medicare & Social Security tomorrow to make sure I’ve done all that needs to be done. Kind of a financial/medical Decluttering!
  • SummerSkier
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I have absolutely no hope of keeping up but today for the first time since the 13th I actually took some small actions.

I printed out one label for folder case
    I filed 3 or 4 recent bills in the folder

For my March I will I am going to continue with the tiny actions there also.

Maddie, Rita and Kathy you are all doing so so well with this... I can't wait to see some of the after pictures. <3

PS I got my tax return back!! yeah. I was a little worried the routing information might have changed as my bank made some major changes last year but all good. Another stressor done and DONE!

• 77tes
    Options
    Yay for getting your return already! Wow! @SummerSkier

February 24 decluttered my bedside table.
  • nebslp
    Options
    This decluttering business is certainly an ongoing/never-ending process!!! Yesterday I baked something for my daughter's garage visit (she and her kids came to deliver GS cookies). When I put the sugar bag in the cupboard it literally fell out upside down :s so I had sugar on the counter on/under/and around my pile of retirement/social security info notebooks. So those papers were stashed in a bag so I could clean up and put on the declutter list. Got that pretty much done last night and will finish up tonight. Sometimes a mess is the catalyst for a quick clean-up. @SummerSkier I wish I had taken a picture of the sweet mess covering my paperwork but I didn't think about it!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp I like you attitude about that mess! ACK! Spilled sugar is always a mess and all over notebooks - sigh! The pile of paperwork retirement/medicare creates is overwhelming.

There's lots of kinds of clutter.

James Clear quote in his email today:
    "Clarity is the elimination of mental clutter.
    Agility is the elimination of physical clutter.
    Tranquility is the elimination of spiritual clutter."
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    This decluttering business is certainly an ongoing/never-ending process!!! Yesterday I baked something for my daughter's garage visit (she and her kids came to deliver GS cookies). When I put the sugar bag in the cupboard it literally fell out upside down :s so I had sugar on the counter on/under/and around my pile of retirement/social security info notebooks. So those papers were stashed in a bag so I could clean up and put on the declutter list. Got that pretty much done last night and will finish up tonight. Sometimes a mess is the catalyst for a quick clean-up. @SummerSkier I wish I had taken a picture of the sweet mess covering my paperwork but I didn't think about it!

Yes some of my BEST decluttering is panic mode due to a catastrophe.. LOL. Bandit says he would be HAPPY to help you clean up that sugar... <nicker nicker nicker>

Just reading this thread does help me to do my little small decluttering daily. :)
  • nebslp
    Options
    I agree that this thread helps me be more aware of little projects that can be done. A couple days ago I went to find a birthday card in my card box and found some plastic covers that some cards have on them. They should have been thrown away when I took the cards out of them, so I got that done in 2 minutes AND found a card!

Got a wild hair to listen to some Aerosmith today and Alexa was cranked up. Not as loud as my car radio used to be when I played it, but... WoW! It always get me moving and since I'm almost out of tiny unfinished projects, I dug out some leftover quilt blocks I pieced when I made my granddaughter's quilt. I decided I will make a pillow sham for her. Have 3 leftover extra blocks that will work for a table runner, maybe to sell? But not today. I am SO tired...maybe because I've eaten so many GS cookies the last two days and my blood sugar doesn't know what to do with all of that sugar. I don't eat sugary things often so it does mess me up when I do. I need some protein!! Just rambling. Off now to read another chapter or 2 of Atomic Habits.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @nebslp I like you attitude about that mess! ACK! Spilled sugar is always a mess and all over notebooks - sigh! The pile of paperwork retirement/medicare creates is overwhelming.

There's lots of kinds of clutter.

James Clear quote in his email today:
    "Clarity is the elimination of mental clutter.
    Agility is the elimination of physical clutter.
    Tranquility is the elimination of spiritual clutter."

@77tes
    Agreed re: retirement/Soc Sec paperwork

Have any of you come up with sub-categories? I find they help me!

I thought James clear entire post today was his best ever!

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I agree that this thread helps me be more aware of little projects that can be done. A couple days ago I went to find a birthday card in my card box and found some plastic covers that some cards have on them. They should have been thrown away when I took the cards out of them, so I got that done in 2 minutes AND found a card!

Got a wild hair to listen to some Aerosmith today and Alexa was cranked up. Not as loud as my car radio used to be when I played it, but... WoW! It always get me moving and since I'm almost out of tiny unfinished projects, I dug out some leftover quilt blocks I pieced when I made my granddaughter's quilt. I decided I will make a pillow sham for her. Have 3 leftover extra blocks that will work for a table runner, maybe to sell? But not today. I am SO tired...maybe because I've eaten so many GS cookies the last two days and my blood sugar doesn't know what to do with all of that sugar. I don't eat sugary things often so it does mess me up when I do. I need some protein!! Just rambling. Off now to read another chapter or 2 of Atomic Habits.

@nebslp awesome progress!!!!
    I saw a super cute YouTube yesterday, quite randomly, on a wife creating a book for her husband, using his coveted stash of received cards & love notes from her. She added photos & some words here & there. Such a great idea!
  • 77tes
    Options
    February 25 I didn’t really declutter, but I organized the trickiest of my deep dresser drawers.

Behold:
    Before - my pjs won’t really behave vertically
    wdvnrefgkynd.jpeg

After - I used file folders, trimmed to size to separate the sets. I hope it will work. Worst case scenario, I wasted some file folders. I did move the can of hairspray.
    . dwb3zzljoq6t.jpeg
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes Clever! I like that! PJs generally don't behave well. You'll be able to grab a pair in the dark and the pieces will match :)

@MadisonMolly2017 That is a really nice idea and way to get cards out of a box and add some meaning to them. Someday....

Today I finished all of the paperwork I started after the "sugar incident". ( @SummerSkier I wish I could have shared my 2 cups of spilled sugar with Bandit instead of dumping it in the garbage!) It took forever because I had to look at every paper and make decisions. UGH! But it's done and everything fit into one large pocket folder.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Great idea @77tes !! I will use that!

@nebslp you are “on fire”!

Feb 25 - organized some completed artwork & took care of some prescription issues. Restored order to freezer.

Feb 26 - deep clean of shower & wet wiping of perimeter of bathroom by hand. Much better! Moved container of larger pieces of fabric back down to fabric area.

Tomorrow I’m going to stand our (currently unused) throw pillows up vertically on our bedroom shelf! And decide how to store our throw blanket collection.

💕