feeling dizzy/lightheaded from squats and deadlifts

Options
neandermagnon
neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
is there a remedy for this? because I'm getting this a lot and today it was that bad by the 3rd set of squats I had to put the barbell down after the 3rd rep then lie on the floor for a while, before completing the set :/

also it's between every single rep with deadlifts.

I've read in a few places that this is normal with big heavy lifts but is it normal to have to lie down on the floor mid set?

I'm eating at a surplus, plenty of carbs, so it's not that. I'm doing my best to stay hydrated given the heat and humidity where I live (Bahrain) although that's probably not helping!! (and for those on my FL who've seen me ranting about my a.c. not working right... the one in my bedroom, where I work out, works fine, it's on the top setting when I work out and I wasn't feeling particularly hot, although I was sweating a lot, but that's kind of normal for exercise lol)

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Well, I just googled it and it looks like dehydration, low blood sugar, and improper breathing are the most common causes. It happened to me once, but if you have ruled those out and it is happening frequently I'd probably see a doctor to be sure you're okay to lift.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that during squats or deadlifts, but I get dizzy doing overhead press sometimes. I think it's a combination of getting up too fast (since I don't have a squat rack, I'm cleaning the bar before pressing) and not realizing I'm holding my breath.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    someone on my FL mentioned breathing right...

also dehydration is possible, given the climate, although I really try to stay hydrated!!

anyone got any info about how to breathe right for squats and deadlifts? Because I've not come across anything about how to breathe right before... so hmm it could be that...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I'd guess the breathing, too. I've gotten a bit dizzy, nothing major, but I'm pretty sure it was because I was holding my breath and didn't realize it.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i get dizzy when i go over 200 on my deadlifts. its not as bad anymore, but i think its how i breathe in big at the top and almost hold my breath for my 1 rep maxes to help me keep my core tight, also because it is a lot of physical exertion. you will notice that the stronger you get the less dizzy you get at higher weights. for me its def. not dehydration or nutrition- i eat and drink a lot!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    okay, thanks :) I'll add that to everything else to remember doing squats.... I need to make a checklist :laugh: knees solid, hip drive, no buttwink, back straight..... and now "don't forget to breathe" Lol

I don't even know if I was breathing or not to be honest because I never gave it a second thought!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

also dehydration is possible, given the climate, although I really try to stay hydrated!!

anyone got any info about how to breathe right for squats and deadlifts? Because I've not come across anything about how to breathe right before... so hmm it could be that...

Use the Valsalva maneuver (take in a breath, hold it for the duration of the rep, release and repeat). This protects your back from injury, among other things.

It's possible that your problem is caused by how you breathe, but this is an alarming enough symptom that I would get it checked out by a doctor. It's one thing to pass out during a deadlift, but falling down with a bar on your shoulders during a squat could seriously hurt you.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I remember seeing a video of somebody from Girls Gone Strong demonstrating how she breathed for squats. It was the blonde girl. I forget her name. You could look over there to see if it helps you...
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it was the video on this page. And it's Molly Galbraith :)
    http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/secrets-to-mastering-the-squat-part-3/ Good luck! But do see a doc if the breathing doesn't help...
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I'd take sufficient time to recover for your next rep (it may be 5 or six big breaths or even more!) and see how that goes before worrying about the doctor - but if you think you've reoxygenated and are still getting dizzy, it could be the temporary blood pressure changes or indeed worth a medical discussion. I'd always eliminate trying the things I can change before worrying though :)
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I get exertion headaches from lifting. I do 3x5 now because otherwise I feel like crap afterwards.. I also make sure I drink a lot of water during my breaks between sets.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    thanks for all the advice.......... I'll focus on breathing better and sufficient recovery time next workout, and making sure I'm not getting dehydrated.... if that doesn't work then I'll see a doctor.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been getting this too.

Ever since I had my son 10 years ago, whenever I get up too quickly I get dizzy. I don't know what changed with my body after giving birth, but whatever it is- I have to be mindful of rising slowly and breathing properly upon doing so or I will just about black out!

Anyway, this started happening with my lifts now that I am about 7 weeks in to stronglifts. It was so bad last night I almost didn't continue my workout because I had to lie on the couch in between each set just to reach normal again.

I feel like I have been mindful of my breathing, staying hydrated, eating well, etc- but just in case- I played around on youtube earlier and found a few videos about breathing from your diaphragm during your lifts so I am going to try that tomorrow and see if that helps. If not, looks like I'm off to the Dr! :/
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Guys, let me say it again--the proper way to breathe during lifting is to not breathe during the lift itself. You hold your breath to protect your back. I know it might be tempting to do something like breathe in on the way up, as you might have been taught in yoga class, but it's not what you do for lifting. Starting Strength has an extensive discussion of how to breathe during lifting--I strongly, strongly recommend everyone pick up that book. The free Kindle sample includes the entire squat chapter, and the Valsalva maneuver is discussed there.

For those of you who can't or won't get a book, here's an abstract of a paper that Rippetoe and colleagues presented at the American Society of Exercise Physiology National Conference in 2005:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=7738&page=1#5

You aren't supposed to take a giant gulp of air--just enough to fill out your lungs so your spine is supported and stomach is tight. Taking too big a breath can cause some pre-blackout-like symptoms, just as hyperventilating would. If you take a normal-sized breath before squatting, hold it throughout the squat, exhale at the end of the rep and reset and STILL get dizzy, I would get it checked out with a doctor.

If you get dizzy during the press, that happens for a different reason--pressure on the carotid artery from the bar. So keep the barbell away from your neck during the press.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I sometimes get dizzy on a very heavy deadlift rep, which I put down to the temporary blood pressure changes during the lift. it equalises very quickly on normal breathing while holding no weight!

if you watch the mehdi videos I think he talks about the breathing too - basically hold it for stability as bb says on the way down, and if you need to, you can start breathing out after you are halfway back up on the squat...
  • bumblebums
    Options
    The blood pressure rise during the deadlift makes me turn a ridiculous shade of beet red... and my veins pop out of my neck. Not a good look for me. I wish my gym didn't have mirrors :)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I get weird neck veins on my squats too. Sooooo attractive!