8 weeks until Race Day

Options
I am running my 4th marathon the 1st weekend in April. Hoping to drop 5-10 lbs by then by watching my in take a little bit closer. Currently, I'm limiting to 2000 calories a day and not adding back for my exercise. I run 5 days a week- 40ish miles a week, strength training 2 days a week.

My question is, on my long runs over the weekend, I will burn over 2000 calories and I will be hungrier. Wondering what kind of target I should have for those? Any suggestions?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I eat back all my exercise calories. If you are working hard and don't refuel properly, the following workouts will be a lot less effective. You don't want to be burning muscle instead of fat. I don't necessarily eat back my long run calories on the day of the long run but if I'm hungry the next day I absolutely will eat extra. Over a week, the CI-CO usually balances out. One thing I have noticed is that if I go out to dinner after a long run, I can easily eat back all the calories I burned with my workout, so I usually save dinners out for weekends.