Lets talk OP food finds and recipes, Ideas etc.

Options
mcee1
mcee1 Posts: 3,587 Member
Though I am trying to cut back on these types of carbs, this was an A+ food find at the grocery store for me. These Pita's are great tasting. I used it so far with egg salad. The entire whole pita is the serving size.

Im thinking as pizza crust is my next try: smothered in red sauce, fresh spinach, onions, bell peppers and some turkey pepperoni, and parm cheese on top, toasted in the oven.

I make another batch of that ol stand by ww'r veggies soup today also. Added lots of fresh spinach and some heat with red pepper flakes. Great for lunch on these cold snowy days.

What you got cookin BBB?

2ymjcgdjbx2v.jpeg
pr226mfypfud.jpeg

Replies

• DocSkippy
    DocSkippy Posts: 7,000 Member
    Options
    Those are great, Mary.

One of my “favorite” ways is to broil a pan of fresh carrots and big chunk cut onions with a drizzle of EVOO and salt pepper (385f for 45 mins). It’s sorta like a very filling soft taco. Very point friendly. (And the house always smells great pan tidying vegetables). 😂😂
  • Authenticity3
    Authenticity3 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Check out my Connect page ... I post food ALL.THE.TIME. :) It's still Authenticity3, just like it's been for 15 years now.

The recipe I posted yesterday is PHENOMENAL. It's a French Onion Chicken Bake ... WOW. SO good!
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,560 Member
    Options
    If you like seafood and you have a Trader Joes nearby you have to try the cioppono. We usually add extra shrimp and I like it over rice.

x6mgvizo56iq.jpg
  • mcee1
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's, Dennis, and seafood, Thanks!

Skip, cooked carrots, onions in oven are tasty. Oven roasted veggies are a favorite. Thanks

Lisa where do I find your connect page, on fb?
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,927 Member
    Options
    I have been making chicken noodle soup. I chop up a carrot, some onion, several cloves of garlic and some celery. Simmer in three cups of water seasoned with chicken base (I use Better Than Bouillon) some poultry seasoning and ground thyme. After 10 minutes, I throw in a handful of yolkless egg noodles and some shredded leftover chicken from a Costco and cook until the noodles are tender. Adjust the seasoning and you have the best chicken soup ever, with very little fat.
  • mcee1
    Options
    Great tip on that soup Dave! I need to get to Costco more, if for nothing else the 4.99 rotisserie bird. Soup can be a very low fat healthy meal. And its so cold out here still.

I never really know what to buy @Costco thats good with good prices etc. I usually get other stuff there, i.e. our great room rug, lifejackets, gas can for boat, outdoor patio stuff, plants, electronics on sale etc. Ds2s new gas lawn mower.... stuff like that. Or large qtys for a party etc. I.e. Rolls, chips, the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, etc... not every day groceries.

My coworker bought an engagement ring there? I'll pass on that, not the ring, but it coming from there.😅?? But maybe its just fine?

Who gets what at Costco?
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,560 Member
    Options
    We have a Sam's Club membership in Athens about 35 miles away so I don't go often. When I had the car serviced a couple of weeks ago I stopped in and got coffee k-cups, an 8 pack of canned green beans, frozen shrimp and a a big pan of chicken fettuccini. A lot of there food things are packaged too large for us but the prices are good. We tend to buy paper products there.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    Options
    Costco is three miles from our house, so we go there a lot. We buy eggs, butter, cheese, smoked salmon, meat, bacon, canned beans, frozen vegetables and fruit, bath soap, razer blades ... and on an on. Buy almost all our gasoline at the Costco pumps, too. And for a quick lunch you can't beat that big hotdog and drink for $1.50.
  • mcee1
    Options
    Check out on here MFP .. blog:

12 crock pot chicken recipes under 370 cals. There's some good ones.

Crock-Pot Lemon Chicken & Greek Salad:

I'm going make this one tomorrow with breasts though & a ww Greek yogurt cucumber sauce recipe, on a 60 cal. Pita

Call it a chicken gyro.

Leftover greek chicken for lunches can be on top a big salad.

• mcee1
    Options
    I've seen the thin sliced refrigerated smoked salmon there, Dave, Im afraid to try it. But I should anyway. Its good for us, right,?

We did buy a 75.00 prime rib roast on Christmas from Sam's a couple yrs back and it was fab. Their fresh meats look good, but a lot of servings for the just us 2, stock freezer for sure. I'll do more of that once we are at the lake. Buying groceries for both places...

I got that she shed with the refrigerator/freezer in there. That will be so nice. The glamper refrig/freezeris smaller. Esp. For beverages, waters taking up room too..

New used 5th wheel with outdoor kitchen too would be great!
  • steplinn398
    steplinn398 Posts: 2,892 Member
    Options
    Our go to meal: lentil soup. Sauté a whole onion garlic and 4 diced carrots. Add one chopped potato (white or sweet), one can Rotel tomatoes, 8 cups vegetable or beef stock, 1.5 cup dry lentils and a can of green beans. Add whatever spices you like. I use mostly cumin and cayenne because that is what I always have on hand but Italian seasonings are good too. Simmer until everything is tender. Ron eats his with a scoop of guacamole.

Typical Costco haul:
    Vitamin D
    Allergy meds
    Dr. Bronners
    Dishwasher pellets

Pre-plant based eating
    Chicken breast
    Nutella
    Eggs
    Irish cream
    Yogurt

Melons
    Avocado
    Mixed greens/baby spinach
    Hummus
    Carrots
    Broccoli frozen
    Grapes
    Fresh green beans
    Cranberry Juice
    Kirkland brand peanuts
    Peanut butter
    Dried Cranberries
    Dried blueberries
    Avocado oil
    Sweet potatoes
    Limes
    Pumpkin seeds
    Rotel tomatoes
    Rice noodles

Say no to bananas-ripen too quickly, I dislike the madras lentils, prices on ground beef not great for the quality (says the farm raised Midwesterngirl).

My above list is what we use regularly...not all each week as there are only two of us and we move a lot. But quality for value at Costco is above average. Typically we spend $50 a week there and $20 a week at a regular grocery for onions, banana and Sunflower seeds and a few canned goods and dried beans that are too big of bag at Costco.

We eat pretty clean and don't switch up the menu much. Typical day. No breakfast except black coffee, lunch of roasted veggies with lentils, quinoa or beans or lentil soup or a bowl of some kind similar to Lisa's suggestion above or Thai peanut noodles with veggies. Fruit and nuts for snack and dinner is a mixed green salad with pumpkin and Sunflower seeds, dried Cranberries and flavored balsamic vinegar. Sometimes popcorn (with salt and brown sugar for an excellent salty sweet combo).

I aim for 1200 calories calories day. Track here.

Thanks for the pita recommendation...I have been looking for a good whole grain one.
  • mcee1
    Options
    Steph, you guys eat eggs, or no?

Thanks for all the info... maybe I'll drag Tom to Costco tomorrow. After he roof rakes the snow off the house.
    Temps climbing to 26F thats 30 degress warmer than the last several days...
    Arnt you glad you don't have to do house maintenance, snow removal... :smile:
  • mcee1
    Options
    Denniis. Yes. I definitely need to look at frozen shrimp at Costco and the salmon too Dave mentioned. I've not really ever eaten salmon.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    Options
    Periodically, Costco will have smoked salmon from Alaska on sale. We buy several packages and put them in the freezer. We warm some and serve with sauteed greens, and rice. Salmon is full of very healthy oils.
  • steplinn398
    steplinn398 Posts: 2,892 Member
    Options
    We are not currently eating eggs (I included them on the list since they are such a good deal there)

Since December we haven't eaten any animal product at all except for a little honey in some granola and the one time we ate out and had egg in our pad Thai. Ron loves how he is feeling. I'm indifferent but don't really miss meat (do miss cheese but not the calories) eating clean when you have to pack up a kitchen every month is pretty easy.
  • mcee1
    Options
    Im making hot turkey sausage stuffed bell peppers for dinner, and freeze half for another dinner.

3 hot turkey links, removed from casing and brown in 1tabl evoo, remove meat from pan, and add to drippings in pan a chopped onion, when cooked, add a can of diced tomato, 1 cup of cooked grains, Im using brown rice, and italain seasonings, red pepper flakes, salt pepper to taste, add sausage back in and mixed and stuff 3 whole but halved peppers. Sprinkle top with parm and bake at 375 40min. til peppers are tender. Says to add a little water to bottom of baking dish to help peppers cook. 180Cal per each half stuffed pepper.
  • DocSkippy
    DocSkippy Posts: 7,000 Member
    Options
    Luv me some stuffed peppers! TOTALLY hooked on DW's green pepper stew lately! Passing this along to try. I really like hot turkey sausages baked w/ roasted onions/peppers.