Fitbit recording more steps than have done

Options
aboo3126
aboo3126 Posts: 2 Member
Hi,

I only got my fitbit yesterday so the problem is more than likely something I m doing wrong but I have been very inactive today yet my fitbit is saying I have done nearly 9000 steps. I know this is wrong. Can anyone advise how I can clear it to stop it messing up my calories on my fitness pal please? And any suggestions why it is doing this and how I can stop it?

Thanks

Replies

• aboo3126
    aboo3126 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh it's a Fitbit inspire 2 btw
  • n_liptimhimer_17
    Options
    If you have it on your dominant hand then it can register more steps. Try putting it on your. Non dominant hand. It can register more steps if you swing your hands around a lot because it is based on the motion it picks up. Hope that helps
  • dpclifton1
    dpclifton1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My Charge 4 frequently recorded over 100,000 steps in a single day - I chatted with tech support who suggested that I hadn't set my stride length properly. After a few minutes of back and forth he appeared convinced that I had a warranty issue. I returned mine and waited about 10 days for the replacement. The new unit has been working properly for the last week or so.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you have any actual usage to know what a sedentary day step count would be to know 9000 is very wrong?

It could be you felt inactive - but really weren't.

There are likely bogus steps too, many find around 4K steps is sedentary or below level.

Have you looked at your 24 hr graph of steps and calorie burn?

Bogus steps usually have barely any distance, or calories burn (since that is actually based on distance moved).

That graph will also show when the steps were - do you recall what was going on then?

The settings for dominate hand are available too, if it isn't then say it isn't.
    If it was set correctly and still picking up lots of bogus steps (confirm it first), then say it's dominate even though it really isn't, it'll lower sensitivity.

To above tech suggestion to change stride length to effect steps seen - what a goofball tech, grasping at straws.