SOS Shout out Sundays 8/25/13

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
So, what did you learn this week my friends? No beating self or others up here just learning as we go along so we can either do what works or make changes.
Hit me!

Replies

• maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I learned (or reinforced) that it's not that hard to eat well and still have fun. We went to a concert yesterday with a 4 hour tailgate party before hand. Lots of fun and I learned a new line dance! But I brought a bag of salad (premade) some salad dressing and bowls along with a platter of cut up fruit. I took some chicken they had grilled and added it to my salad and snacked on fruit. I did have a few chips and a sausage-I didn't want to feel deprived!-and was quite satisfied with just having a little of the not as good for me stuff. I think the trick for me was to eat the salad and fruit first so I wasn't as hungry and then have some of the other stuff. Now if I can keep doing that, I will be golden!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Learned a lot this week, mostly good, but some not so good (I guess). So here goes:
    1) FINALLY know what's going on with my health!:bigsmile: I got the results back from all the tests that the endocrinologist. I am in the very early stages of hypothyroidism (My TSH stays mostly normal then it will swing into a high level, so that's a sign that it's starting to go out permanently) easy solve. The other thing is that my c-peptide result was high which means I am insulin resistant (ie. I am prediabetic) again, easy solve. So started on 1/2 dose meds that day and this week I start on full dose (just have to learn to deal with some side effects of the meds).

Endo doc said that once my system adjusts, the metformin for the insulin resistance may help with weight loss, she said she can't guarantee or make any promises, but it has happened with other patients. Now this is how my mindset is about the whole thing, and it impressed her: I told her that I really didn't care if it did or not, that as long as it does what it's supposed to do for the insulin resistance I think the eating right and working out will take care of the weight loss.

2) Trying to help a friend can get you into a state of constant stress when friend wants help on their terms not yours. My neighbor fell and broke her shoulder last week, and being a friend I told her I would try to help when I can. She asked if I would help her out washing her hair, I said yes, now she wants me to wash her hair every two days, has asked if I can skip going to the gym so I can do it earlier in the evening (uh no, I'll be glad to figure it out when I can do it to help, but this is going to have to go on my schedule) she asked if she could go with me to the grocery store, I said yes, of course, I go at 8 Sunday morning, she doesn't want to go that early can't I change the time I go (uh no, I got at 8 Sunday morning so I have the rest of the day to get my fruit cut and portion size everything that I normally take for lunch that needs to be broken down into smaller servings, finish my housework, and finish any school work). Her father and stepmother live within 4 miles and she won't ask them for help because she doesn't like how her step mother does things. Her daughter has offered to pay for a home health aide come a couple times a week to help her with bathing (she can't take a shower because she has to keep the sling on 24/7) washing her hair, ect. she doesn't want to accept the offer because then she will owe her daughter (I have pointed out she needs to reconsider these things because what is she going to do if I get a sample and have to stay at work late, I have a business trip coming up that I will be out of town for 6 days what's she going to do then?) Another friend said that I need to pull back from her because she's going to drain me (I'm already at the point that I dread being home because my neighbor-she lives in a different building than I do- can see where I park and hear my car horn when I lock the doors so she knows when I'm home and I will never hear the end of it if I don't help her or answer my phone, I will have no peace in my own home) and because my neighbor is morbidly obese, if she needs to be lifted or she falls I could get hurt trying to either keep her from falling or trying to get her up.

I'm at a total loss on how to help her without sacrificing myself.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Cupcake,

All you can really do is just be there to help if she asks and it doesn't mess with your schedule too much. You're doing more than is required of you already. But giving her a call at 8AM (egads that's early for a Sunday) to see if she wants to go, or if you could pick something up for her would be at least touching base. She might not be up for it week one, but if she can't find any help she'll be ready week two.

Also, congrats on figuring out what's messing with you. If you're like my grandma (in symptoms, not age) then I'll mourn your lack of shellfish in your diet. The iodine really messes with her.

Once the weight starts evaporating off your body, I doubt you will, but don't get complacent about your super strict logging and measuring. I know you're more religious about it than I am.

And this week, I managed to achieve the 1lb a week for a year marker, with 52lbs lost as of this morning. Not so much a fitness learning thing, just a thing. About 33 more to go.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Cupcake,

All you can really do is just be there to help if she asks and it doesn't mess with your schedule too much. You're doing more than is required of you already. But giving her a call at 8AM (egads that's early for a Sunday) to see if she wants to go, or if you could pick something up for her would be at least touching base. She might not be up for it week one, but if she can't find any help she'll be ready week two.

Also, congrats on figuring out what's messing with you. If you're like my grandma (in symptoms, not age) then I'll mourn your lack of shellfish in your diet. The iodine really messes with her.

Once the weight starts evaporating off your body, I doubt you will, but don't get complacent about your super strict logging and measuring. I know you're more religious about it than I am.

And this week, I managed to achieve the 1lb a week for a year marker, with 52lbs lost as of this morning. Not so much a fitness learning thing, just a thing. About 33 more to go.

Thanks Aak,
    I have been doing the best I can to help her, I emailed her Sat night to see if she was going to go with me Sunday morning (I am one of those people that when the sun comes up I am awake, doesn't matter if I've only been asleep for 10 minutes, I will be up, so might as well do something productive) and she said no but could I pick her up some bagels and cream cheese, which I did, I also cut them in 1/2 for her and took her trash out. I know she's going to be mad, but I'm not going to be able to help her wash her hair, I woke up with my neck out this morning and (at the moment, because it's early) I don't know when I can get into the chiro to get it back in so I can't turn my head to the left without pain (fingers crossed I can get it soon or can get it stretched enough that it will pop back in on it's own).

I;ve been mourning the loss of shellfish in my diet for the past 15 years, I developed an allergy to it. I miss having shrimp fresh off the boat (the advantage to living on the gulf coast of Florida and being 5-10 minutes from the beach where the restaurants have docks for their own boats right out their back door is that I can get fresh seafood).

I will be sticking to my food plan (althought I'm sure it will need some moderations as I lose, but those can be addressed as they come up) the best I can. From what I've been reading about the insulin resistance I may be able to get it food controlled once I start losing so that's what I'm aiming for in the future and it looks like to do that I will have to stay true to weighing and measuring, so it should become second nature.

Congrats on the the achievement! That's great, keep working at it and you will get that last 33 in no time!
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I learned that doing another cleanse very shortly after finishing ones drains me.

14877786.png