New sleever

Options
I got sleeved on Aug 23. I am so fortunate that all is going well. I have been on the clear liquids for 2 days so far no problems. Although I am surprised that I am able to drink so much, it does take me an hour to finish it all though. For instance I had cran juice (about 6 oz) a s/f jello (1/2 of pre made one as my granddaughter ate the other half *s*), and about 1/4 cup of broth along with 16 oz of water. - thats the entire day. I dont feel bloated or full unless I drink too quickly. Yesterday gas was pretty bad but gas x helps alot, as does the walking. I got sleeved because I had been unable to control my morning blood sugars - always in the 140-150's.

One thing i did find odd was that I weighed myself today and it looks like i GAINED 10 pounds since Friday! I know this is probably just the post sugical fluid but DAMN!

O well I just hope that I can one day eat pop corn again.

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

If it is any consolation, I have been able to eat a little popcorn again at about the 3 month out mark. Also, my weight jumped almost 10 pounds after surgery, but it came off in a torrent for the first month or two. I'm losing between 2 and 3 lbs a week now on average.

While I didn't have blood sugar issues, I was as close to being diagnosed full diabetic as you can get. My blood work two weeks ago has me in normal ranges for everything. My wife who was sleeved at the same time I was, has also cleared up almost all her issues. She should be off all her prescription meds in a few more months.

The sleeve as helped us gain a hold on living again. I hope you will find it a great tool to help you as well.

Just follow what the doctor and nutritionist tells you and you'll do great!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,707 Member
    Options
    I got sleeved on Aug 23. I am so fortunate that all is going well. I have been on the clear liquids for 2 days so far no problems. Although I am surprised that I am able to drink so much, it does take me an hour to finish it all though. For instance I had cran juice (about 6 oz) a s/f jello (1/2 of pre made one as my granddaughter ate the other half *s*), and about 1/4 cup of broth along with 16 oz of water. - thats the entire day. I dont feel bloated or full unless I drink too quickly. Yesterday gas was pretty bad but gas x helps alot, as does the walking. I got sleeved because I had been unable to control my morning blood sugars - always in the 140-150's.

One thing i did find odd was that I weighed myself today and it looks like i GAINED 10 pounds since Friday! I know this is probably just the post sugical fluid but DAMN!

O well I just hope that I can one day eat pop corn again.

You're right, it is normal to gain weight from the surgery. I fasted for two surgeries (heart ablation in April & sleeve in June) and was surprised to gain weight immediately after each. But now I know it's normal. Like water weight, it'll soon pass. They blow us up with gas to open the area for the surgery, so that will diminish too. Congratulations on doing so well!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Sounds like you are doing well. Remember to sip a lot and walk a lot and you will do fine. I had my sleeve 2 years ago and can still says it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.