"This May I Will" Are you ready?

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @pennysob I don't know what red light meditation is but meditation in any form is a great way to start the day. And the stretch is an good way to ease into the day and get moving.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options

May 1 🎨 📼
    May 2 🎨 📽
    May 3 🎨 🏞
    May 4 🎨 📼 🏞 2 blank (tossed) one 2-hr tape by an old friend about her 1988 trip to Bora Bora. Their house burned down in the fires last summer. I saw them on TV talking about it from a shelter. They are not rebuilding, so I’ll do some sleuthing & get it to them so at least they’ll have some memories.
    #Invaluable

May 5 🎨 📼 JACKPOT 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
    I didn’t know this existed & ALMOST tossed this tape, but wasn’t sure when I tested it the other day that I knew what I was doing, so listened again just to be sure 😳

It’s me reading two books to a our very young son - 2 years old I think - SUCH a sweet voice & interaction! So Darling!

The tape goes wonky in the middle of the Grinch Who Stole Xmas so I’ve labeled it & set the tape aside. Will do some sleuthing to find if there is someone who can work with a partially damaged tape & save as much as possible.
    #happyJoyJoy!! This partial tape is worth all the work of going through the rest of the 20 or so tapes. Curious what else I will find!

What I like is I can make art, cook, etc while scanning the tapes...so it take some attention, but not as much as I thought it would!

AND I moved my completed art to the inherited Hope chest! A special, very safe spot!

May 6 🎨 📼 (no big winners but kept at it - got through 5 or so, double-sided)
    I see the light at the end of the cassette tunnel!! Maybe done by Monday.

May 7 🎨📼

Week 1 Summary: My 5 minutes often turns into 30-60 minutes! I spent too long May 8 & got overwhelmed. Really best to do this when rested; it can be quite emotional.

I had an idea. Maybe I’ll just snap a photo of the photos I just want to remember..as opposed to digitize or make prints. Problem is giving them the correct date...

My art is going very well with significant creative work each day!

May 8 🎨 🖼
    May 9 🎨 🖼
    May 10
    May 11
    May 12
    May 13
    May 14

Week 2 summary:

—-
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    OH my. I do not even want to go there with the media. My brother recently sent me some digital video they had converted from old 8mm tape video (silent movies!) in the early 60's. It was really hard to watch but fun to see my siblings and mom at very young ages. I think they found these when cleaning out my parent's house. I have quite a LOT of media. Most of the photos are done and changed to digital by merely taking a picture of them on my phone.

I have totally kept up with favoriting daily and filing daily and monthly USB back ups on my digital files. It's fun and easy to take care of.

Summerchatty

Maddie perhaps you got your idea of taking a photo from page 1.. LOL. 😎
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Nope, GMTA! 🤣
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

May 8 🎨 🖼
    May 9 🎨 🖼
    May 10 🎨📼
    May 11🎨📼 found & contacted a guy to digitize 2 priceless tapes (me & v young son) one fine, the other broken halfway. Only 5-6 more cassettes to go!!!! YAY!
    May 12🎨📼
    May 13
    May 14

Week 2 summary:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,757 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi all, my goal is going well. This arrived in my inbox today, so I thought I'd share it here with the habit ninjas. It made me think of the goal @texasgardnr was working on in April.
    Habit Stacking Microworkouts (aka Working Out Without Having to Think About It)
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes those microworkouts didn’t seem small to me! Whew!! That guy had a core of reinforced steel! But it was a really good article and it’s what @themedalist is doing that as well with her dog duty/kettlebell routine. Such good ideas! Thanks for sharing.

@MadisonMolly2017 when you talk about tapes, do you mean audiocassette tapes or VHS type tapes? That would be awesome to get those digitized. Those old ones are really special and not many people have the devices they need laying around to watch them.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @77tes those microworkouts didn’t seem small to me! Whew!! That guy had a core of reinforced steel! But it was a really good article and it’s what @themedalist is doing that as well with her dog duty/kettlebell routine. Such good ideas! Thanks for sharing.

@MadisonMolly2017 when you talk about tapes, do you mean audiocassette tapes or VHS type tapes? That would be awesome to get those digitized. Those old ones are really special and not many people have the devices they need laying around to watch them.

@nebslp I’m doing the audio cassettes first as they are the oldest - pre-1988

FIVE more to go!

Then...onto the VHS! My
    Husband bought a cord that should allow me to see the VHS tapes (there are MANY) on my computer monitor.

I am taking my time doing these & final pass through printed photos. Minimum 5 mins a day.

As much as possible, I am multi-tasking...running them as I clean, make art, talk with friends, update MFP, reorganize art studio, decorative objects, etc. Many of the cassettes - both audio & VHS - are empty or not labeled or written over (so different than the label.) I turn up the volume & get busy with other things until I hear something :)

If I’m done by 2022 New Year’s, that’s great (not including print photos LOL)! I’m just trying to save the ones that are antiques lol

I kept our boom box & another cassette player so I could do this. Ditto VHS & smaller video tape players.

Once I’ve gone thru all the cassettes of all types & digitized them, I will let those pieces of equipment go, too.

Side note 1: knowing the photos will cost me approx 35cents per photo OR negative is helping me pitch photos. “Is this worth 35 cents? Is this worth moving, tagging, sorting?” The answer is often “No!” No way I could have done this 5-6 years ago.

Side note 2: attempted to do a 2nd pass through Xmas & Halloween decor. Not in the right mindset. I’m going to try again in the Fall. Maybe they are done?!

Maddie
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 .... you said,
    “Side note 1: knowing the photos will cost me approx 35cents per photo OR negative is helping me pitch photos. “Is this worth 35 cents? ...”

I was able to order 250 prints for less than $25 and that included free shipping so if there are some you want to print you just need to watch for specials. Snapfish and Shutterfly are 2 companies I’ve used.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 .... you said,
    “Side note 1: knowing the photos will cost me approx 35cents per photo OR negative is helping me pitch photos. “Is this worth 35 cents? ...”

I was able to order 250 prints for less than $25 and that included free shipping so if there are some you want to print you just need to watch for specials. Snapfish and Shutterfly are 2 companies I’ve used.

@nebslp
    35 cents was to convert the printed photos to a digital format. Thank you for the info though!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Got it! Can you digitize them yourself by scanning to your computer? It takes time so I’m only doing the ones I want to keep and am giving the prints to the people in the photos. Or did I miss the point again🤔😆?
  • nebslp
    Options
    I’ve been doing well with my morning “meditation” time outside. I missed a few days for one reason or another (like one day it was 39 degrees and windy 🥶) but am going out whenever I can. My focus on anxiety reduction by reading books and relaxation techniques has come in handy this month.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Got it! Can you digitize them yourself by scanning to your computer? It takes time so I’m only doing the ones I want to keep and am giving the prints to the people in the photos. Or did I miss the point again🤔😆?

@nebslp
    No you totally get it!

I’m not planning to scan myself. Mostly, we don’t look at our photos that often & the rest of my family are more future than past oriented.

I’m mostly doing this so I reduce the space in our house that is filled with these boxes. By pitching more of them, and digitizing the meaningful early tape recordings & videos of our son, I should be able to clear a lot of space. My in-laws went through all their belongings at about our age, and when my
    MIL had to downsize it was easy for her to move to a condo.

I have to say, with only 3 audio cassettes left to do - and only 2 that I will get digitized (so far), I’m feeling motivated. It was fun listening to the 70’s music! And having those priceless tapes preserved will be worth the $20 or so! A large shoebox down to a CD!

The secret for me is doing this work very slowly in small bits, so I don’t get emotionally too worn out. The photos are the most difficult as we’ve lost 7 of our small family & 1 has Alzheimer’s. But, in small doses, I can deal with it & time does heal.

Thanks @nebslp!

Maddie
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    It's been interesting reading the discussion about old media and how to deal with it. I haven't even thought about tackling that particular thing yet but sounds like both of you are doing well. (Rita and Maddie)

@77tes how are the nails doing halfway in to the month?

I am really enjoying this change in my maintenance plan. Is it helping with blood pressure? I don't know but I have some Drs and bloodwork and such all scheduled in June so it will be a good experiment with over a month of change on board.

Finding it a little more tedious to log foods and have had a brilliant idea to use sticky notes next to the food prep area to keep track and record it later at one time.

The other thing is that I am sleeping much better when I have cut out all the "enlighten" and dessert type things which supposedly have good protein and such but I honestly think were keeping my resting HR up and causing more nightime sweats.

Just some thoughts and a quick check in.

bON
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Finding it a little more tedious to log foods and have had a brilliant idea to use sticky notes next to the food prep area to keep track and record it later at one time.

Haha! Exactly what I posted in UAC! Works SO WELL!!

GMTA.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,757 Member
    Options
    Two weeks finished in May. My nail care goal is going well. I haven’t done any polish, but my nails are no longer embarrassing.
    fnygwq1mdflr.jpeg
    lv2qxqgns877.jpeg

Here’s my May tracker so far:

pjzxdxq4estg.jpeg
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @77tes I think your nails AND your hands look amazing. I am always grossd out when I take a picture of my fingers/hands at how little old lady they look. When I look at them in real life I don't see it. LOL And great progress on the tracker! Looks like your May is going quite well

Hard to believe May is halfway over. I think that my resting heart rate at night per my watch dropping from 58/59 to 55 avg this week and my VO2Max increase shows significant results. I am still not sure how the bloodwork in June or the Blood pressure will go.

But what's interesting is that overall my cals in are lower. Not really intentionally but just my hunger is less. I am still running and working out about the same with the same energy. It is possible that the more heart healthy foods are more energizing than the others. I am not talking a HUGE change - I haven't been eating junk food etc but this is more fruit and juice for snacks vs an ice cream yogurt bar or something.

The rest of the month may be challenging (hi MAY showers) as it is forecast to be stormy which is good the first day or so but gets old fast

Summer reporting in
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes your tracker is so pretty with all the flowers and bright colors! And it’s so filled in 👏🏻 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

@SummerSkier Great news about your HR dropping and VO2Max going up! It’s amazing how much difference a few little tweaks can make. Glad you found what works, and thanks for sharing with us.

@MadisonMolly2017 I’m sorry working on your photos is painful for you. Experiencing so much loss would be very difficult to deal with. I imagine working on creative projects before and/or after could help you process your feelings.

I’ve been wondering where everyone else (new and “old” members) has gotten to!??! I hope you are all doing well with your May I Will..s. How’s it going?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

Great job on the nails, @77tes. They look really good! I keep my nails as short as possible so that they don’t interfere with my guitar playing. Guess I could still polish them but I don’t.

And well done @SummerSkier on the changes in your resting heart rate and VO2 Max as well as your BP. Those are great metrics!

@nebslp, Wonderful progress on the morning meditation! I think mornings are a magical time and they set the stage for the rest of the day,

@MadisonMolly2017, your media organization and archival project is most impressive. It’s something I need to do. I have 8mm tapes of my daughter’s first years that I’d like to put on DVD. What a gift you are creating!

My May focus of using the Calm app daily is still going well:

May 1 - May 7: ✅

May 8 - May 14: ✅
  • nebslp
    Options
    @themedalist It was good to hear that you're continuing your daily Calm practice.

This morning I finally noticed (and acknowledged) that one of the things FitBit tracks is mindfulness and I actually checked it out. There was a 10 minute meditation with Deepok Chopra that was wonderful. I sat on the porch and it helped me focus while I took in the sounds of nature. The goal is to have 5 mindfulness sessions a week, so I'm going to continue tomorrow. We have so many tools right in front of us to help us meet our goals. Sometimes I'm either blind to them or in denial that they will help.