dry mouth?

Options
CHC94
CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
Has this happened to anyone else? I find that lately I'm EXTREMELY thirsty, and it's concentrated on the sides of my tongue and mouth. I drink a lot of water just to keep my mouth wet.

The new turn today was that my mouth was SO dry I felt like a cottonmouth snake.

Usually I can fix it with great quantities of water (over a gallon) but since surgery, those days are over.

Replies

• stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery last week and the back of my mouth has been dry since I arrived home from the hospital. I think maybe it is a side effect of one of the drugs they sent me home with.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery last week and the back of my mouth has been dry since I arrived home from the hospital. I think maybe it is a side effect of one of the drugs they sent me home with.

It's also likely a side effect of being intubated while under anesthesia.
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was off pain drugs when I was discharged from hospital. I'm used to drinking close to a gallon of water a day, and now I can't.

If it's a side effect of being intubated, I am almost 4 weeks out of surgery. It shouldn't be that long, should it?
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'd check with your doc. If nothing else, maybe they have some ideas for relief.