Pumptracks or beginner trails in southern MD?

Options
Sioranth
Sioranth Posts: 306 Member
I used to mountain bike about 10 years ago and now I'm getting back into again. I'd like to do some confidence building with some pumptracks or easy beginner trails in Charles, Calvert, or St. Mary's. I live in southern PG County and I'm not looking to travel north because any excuse to stay off the Beltway is a good one, IMO. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please don't suggest Rosaryville as the last time I attempted there I fell off my bike and cracked the back of my helmet on tree roots, hence the need for confidence building. lol Thanks!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Sioranth wrote: »
    I used to mountain bike about 10 years ago and now I'm getting back into again. I'd like to do some confidence building with some pumptracks or easy beginner trails in Charles, Calvert, or St. Mary's. I live in southern PG County and I'm not looking to travel north because any excuse to stay off the Beltway is a good one, IMO. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please don't suggest Rosaryville as the last time I attempted there I fell off my bike and cracked the back of my helmet on tree roots, hence the need for confidence building. lol Thanks!

@Sioranth - I'm a road-cyclist when I am not being dragged onto the trails by my husband. Like you, I find trails somewhat intimidating. There are a few in the area I like though - have you checked out Cedarville state park? The Indian Head Rail Trail? I've never done Rosaryville (ran a half marathon there once - twisted my ankle on a root, ended up being a DNF). But I have done Cedarville. There are roots, but as long as you take the trails with deliberation they aren't too bad. There are several different trails at Cedarville - I like the orange trail. It's not too long or too rough.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/pages/southern/cedarville.aspx