What inspires you?

Inspiration is a great motivator. It can move mountains and create dreams. Often, we look for inspiring moments or things as a guide to get us up and running.

So my question to you is, what inspires you?

Since it's best to lead by example, my inspiration for my weight loss journey started with my mom. Last year, as many of us can contest was trying. Covid 2020 brought us down, locked us up, and removed all forms of communication which brought us some type of connection or connectivity. We loved, lost, cried, fought, hurt, and continued to do it all over until some semblance of normalcy came into fruition. Yet, the pandemic created many chances for change.

For me, my mother's sudden passing took a toll unimaginable. My mental health was already suffering. My mom was my rock and her death was the breaking point. My inspiration died, along with motivation. Grief was pain. Grief was hate. Grief was real.

It took months for me to start healing from her loss. Months to find myself again. I started to feel inspired, and knew my mom's one wish was for me to give her tons of.grandkids. I knew I needed to be healthy, my current weight at the time was unacceptable.

Yet, like a candle's flame, it did not last long. My fiance's mother joined my mom on her final journey and it was the moment of relived loss and hurt and hatred. Instead, I couldn't cry or scream because I had to be strong for my partner and his father. They needed me because my heart already dealt with loss. I was strong.

Yet, every day I grew weak. I didn't care. Food was available through drive thru instead of cooking. French fries and chicken wings comfort a pain a physical hug and affirmation could not fix. My health became worse and the scale enjoyed reminding me of my constant failure to stay inspired and motivated. I just stopped caring, even as my prescription medication increased in mgs. High blood pressure, so. Type 2 diabetes, meh.

Nonetheless, let fast forward and return back to the question of what inspires me.

Life. My life and those who are apart of it. My desire to be a mom and watch my legacy grow. My need to keep my promise to my mother to become healthier in order to live. My fiance who is also on a weight loss journey of his own. Last, I amy own inspiration because no matter how many times I fall on my *kitten*, I get back up and try even harder and learn even more.

So, what inspires you?

Feel free to share your story.

Replies

• aliru108
    aliru108 Posts: 94 Member
    @BecomingLizzieB88,
    Even though I will never be able to fully understand what you are going through, I want you to know that our stories intersect in many ways, so my heart goes out to you.
    I gained about 50 lbs when my husband was ill and then passed away. I didn't care for anything. At all. My motivation ignited when I saw my daughter's face before I had to have emergency surgery. I wasn't about to let her loose both her parents, especially if I could do something to avoid it. That is the reason why I lost all that weight a few years back and kept it off (also, there was some pride in my looks as well, I'm not going to lie 😅).
    Fast forward to Corona. I worked face to face with people so I had to quit my job due to extreme anxiety. Then came the arguments with my daughter. Then I felt pressured by my late husband's family to not follow the social distancing recommendations and had a mental breakdown. Lastly, 5 of my family members came down with the $+¶#% illness. Four of them at the same time and as a consequence I lost my father in a most horrific and heartbreaking way that still haunts me.
    So, from the first week of March to June 16th I gained about 15 lbs.
    My motivation continues to be my daughter. I will not cause her the pain of losing me. I will do what I have to do to be healthy for her. Also, I want to be healthy for my mom because she is now alone. Lastly, I want to do it for myself, because I am done looking away from the mirror. I'm done feeling that I would look awful wearing the clothes I want to wear. Also, I don't want to die of a heart attack, y'all!
    I wish you all of the best.
    -A