NAFLD To Cirrhosis

Options
DoubleHeartDoctor
DoubleHeartDoctor Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2021 in Social Groups
Hey! I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver, secondary to NAFLD in Feb 2021, at 22 y/o, and I'm still struggling with my diet. I've been a vegetarian since I was 15 y/o, so I didn't have to make too many changes to my diet, but the ones that I did have been crazy difficult. I love bread and cheese, which are two of the largest contributors to my disease and major no-no's now. I've spent hours online searching for recipes and substitutions, trying to find something like what I am used to being able to have. I had been doing surprisingly well for the first few months; I lost 36lbs in 3.5 months, but around May, I just kind of threw my diet out the window and went back to what I was doing when originally diagnosed. I just didn't care anymore. This past Sunday night, I made the decision to start my diet back. I have hated every minute of it, but I'm doing it again. I've removed all of the terrible snacks from my pantry, and have restocked with small amounts (otherwise, I'm essentially a Hoover vacuum) of healthy foods that are actually good for me. It's definitely not been my favorite thing, but after having a killer stomachache for about 4 weeks straight, I figured out that what I was eating was what was causing my stomach pain again. It helps to think of it as just making healthier choices, rather than dieting, but it's still difficult. My GI has instructed me to not eat any type of refined grain, refined sugar, or regular potatoes (sweet potatoes are acceptable). I can only have unsaturated fats, whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.. He also wants me to do resistance training, but right now I'm focusing on dieting again and will move on to adding in exercises once I get my lack-of-self-control under control. Anyway, I'm trying to do what I can to make sure I live longer, and healthier. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or ideas to help me reach my goal?

Replies

• HeatherB61
    HeatherB61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - I’ve just joined and seen your post, and was wondering how you’re doing? 😊
    Heather