Which Garmin, and why?

Options
visual_echo
visual_echo Posts: 123 Member
I'm approaching a fitness milestone and want to reward myself with a new Garmin. I'm currently using the Vivofit 2, and while it's been rock solid for several years, it's starting to have some issues uploading information, and I think it's time for an upgrade.

I love the super long battery life of my current device, and I love how long it has lasted.

I'm not fussed about a device that holds music or apps - I'll always have my phone with me on a run / walk / whatever, so I likely wouldn't bother using those features. And I really don't see a situation where I'd need to use the Garmin Pay feature that I see popping up on the newer ones.

So, which Garmin do you use, and would you recommend it? What do you like / dislike about it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I have been sticking with the Vivoactive range because that's what suits me personally:
    • It's waterproof (one of my primary exercises is rowing)
    • It has built in GPS so doesn't have to rely on phone connection on long hikes/walks/rows which tends to suck battery for both devices.
    • It tracks an array of activities well (best device I've found for rowing stats) such as indoor cardio, weights, yoga, etc.
    • I like the alerts options too (not sure if these are available on all other Garmin devices) such as pacing alerts if you run faster or slower than set, time alerts - I use these for yoga to shift poses.

In general it's a good all-round watch for activity tracking, I have the music one too so that I do have the option to leave my phone at home if I wanted to get back into running and I don't use the smart phone notifications, my phone is annoying enough without it vibrating on my wrist so I have all of that turned off.

I've had a couple of technical issues over the years, but Garmin are always quick to respond and have replaced my watch twice with little to no drama. Their customer services are way above and beyond some of the other companies I've dealt with.
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd echo tinkerbellang83 's thoughts. I like the vivoactive 4s. The waterproofing is very valuable and getting access to amazon prime music on the go is a bonus. Battery life is excellent.
  • hjahangiri
    hjahangiri Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a hot tip for getting it to connect to bluetooth earbuds, though? I have the vivoactive 4s, but it sort of recognizes that the earbuds are there, then does nothing.
  • Firecrafter209
    Firecrafter209 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've got the Vivosmart 4 and a FR945. I've been really happy using the Vivosmart 4 as my everyday band (I wear "dumb" watches so it lets me keep my tracking) and really like that it has "enough" smart features without feeling like overkill. I got my as a refurb and the battery life is good. I like the connected features a lot and don't mind having to use my phone for GPS while tracking walks. The FR945 sounds like it would be overkill for you but I have been very happy with it as a dedicated exercise tool.