Laundry room

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,920 Member
In trying to plan out my next steps for the renovation, I decided to start with the drywall in the laundry room. I'd like to say there's a stunningly clever reason but no, not really... When the guys brought the drywall, I had them lean it against the wall in the rec room... so I figured using up some of the drywall in the laundry room would reduce the size of the pile in the rec room...

My intention is to put drywall all the way up the walls but install a dropped ceiling in the laundry room, mainly because the electrical breaker box is in the laundry room... plus when I reworked the plumbing, I put in manifolds with shut-off valves up high. Rather than having to make access doors or find some other way to leave them available behind drywall, having dropped ceiling means they're accessible by moving a panel. Easy peasy.

A pile of drywall... and the first wall completed... I completed a second wall before supper but I didn't get a pic yet.
ia8t2m9qa19p.png

w22x5doaxdzz.png

Replies

• UncleMac
    Options
    Working my way around the room to the hot water tank...I bought a tool for cutting drywall against fixed things like around the window, outlets and electrical panel... It throws dust like crazy but it does a good accurate job...
    xxkgb1qadlqx.png
    The outlets around the laundry outlet is plastic and I suspect the drywall cutting tool would eat it's way thru so I'm doing those the old fashioned way with a drywall saw.
    yizbk7amhuev.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I put the laundry room back together after finishing hanging the drywall on that back wall. I decided to delay doing the hot water tank and finishing that wall behind it until I'm ready to start doing the mud & taping for the seams.

gyj8kw0ckncb.png

That means I need to start working in the rec room... which means breaking out a new toy for lifting drywall to ceilings...

uwbtbrdhnqgb.png

One 12' x 4' sheet done... only eight more... plus trimming around the edges...

x1znuofv61hf.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Back to the laundry room... I started mudding the drywall yesterday... It went fairly well and quickly since it's walls only and no ceiling... I will be doing dropped ceiling grid & tile once the walls are painted.

The mud was still soft in the corners when I started today so I decided to tackle the last piece of drywall behind the hot water tank... If you think working behind the tank is awkward, beside it is even tighter... and worse...

7cv1po1otawu.png

z28kihrzbgl2.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    In the corner behind & beside the tank, there is a drain which is the end point for the washing machine & sink drain... When I did the wall behind, I cut a slot to go around the drain. I'm not saying I can be a bit OCD but leaving the open gap was bothering me... so I cut a piece of drywall to fit and threw a screw into it...

i9adwegkamrq.png

If you're wondering how I'm reaching to fit the screws in this tight space, here's a picture of my driver with the 16" extension on it as I was about to screw that little patch of drywall in place... lol

yindg4uw9twf.png
  • DogloverTerri
    DogloverTerri Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow. Tight spot 😳
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Wow. Tight spot 😳

Yep... To put tiles under the hot water tank, I must drain it and move it out of the way briefly. I was going to leave that corner and do the drywall at the same time... but then I got thinking about how long that would add to having the water shut off for the house... so I decided to drywall as much as I can before moving it.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I mudded up the final corners and did a second coat everywhere else.

8na6osxejga0.png

Slowly coming together...

2xvm6q8uf1gb.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The gate is to prevent the beagle from raiding the cat's kibble... or the kitty litter box... as Blue's appetite has no bounds. I was taking a pic of the doorway mud and then suddenly...

dmwal06qokxx.png

flnyjna076p4.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    You really do such a good job 👍
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Thank you. I'm very self-critical so it's easy for me to focus on the flaws and places where I could improve...
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're doing a great job to me. I wish my husband was more of a perfectionist....LOL
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Two coats of primer done!!
    j66n18x63y3z.png

o5r19k1ptq29.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Looks AWESOME 🤩
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Looks AWESOME 🤩
    Remember the light blue accent wall in the bathroom? That's going to be the colour for the walls.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Looks AWESOME 🤩
    Remember the light blue accent wall in the bathroom? That's going to be the colour for the walls.
    Whups! Pam just told me that she's decided to use the blue as an accent wall so three of the walls will be almond butter... same colour as the rec room...
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good color scheme and looks like a job well done!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I like the almond butter white with blue accent wall combo... same as in the bathroom....

m3lo2b79trav.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Laundry set back in place... both my wife and I ran a couple of loads. Fresh laundry... hurray!!

e5wn4s41ybum.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Laundry sink installed... Initially I was going to mount it sideways (since there was space to do so... but Pam thought it looked crowded that way. The roll of paper towels is holding pressure against the wall until the caulking sets.

1uldh547eusl.png

This did mean, however, my supply and drains weren't ideally situated. I made it work but it was tight!!

044c4ybtbtqs.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The anode is an odd size, just over an inch... 1-1/16" to be precise... so I had to buy a specialized socket. I have a long socket handle (called a breaker bar for a reason) so I knew either the anode would wind out or the head would strip. Replacing the anode would extend the life of the hot water tank but since I couldn't get it out, no such luck. The hot water tank continues to work so I'll leave it in place until either it fails or I sell the place.

After stripping the head of the anode (grrrrr), I moved the tank out of the way and testfit the membrane around the drain etc. Draining the tank and everything meant shutting off the water supply to the house so I had to keep going until I could put the tank back in place and replumbed it before I could turn the water back on so we had toilets etc.

pu0t7c4iclm7.png

Then I redid the plumbing with the new flex lines, mixed up mortar and stuck down the membrane, then put the hot water tank onto two bricks with a piece of plywood to spread/balance the load. This way, I'm hoping to tile under the tank.

m5ybnj4ho40l.png