Its frustrating....

Options
kbbeale
kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
To be so tall and trying to lose weight. Im over 6' tall and need to lose 60lbs or so. Ive been doing great, hard core for 40 days. I know, its only 40 days - when this is a lifetime change. I know that.

I divorced my scale at the beginning of this journey. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Im able to focus more on the day to day - how I feel, how I look (bloated, or not, etc) if my rings are lose - that sort of thing. I feel great. I feel like Ive lost 20 lbs already (ha ha), that's how good I feel. Ive gotten my vitamins all in order and I have way more energy and I just overall feel GREAT. But........

Im in desperate need of new pants. I literally have ONE pair of pants - work out like capri pants. My jeans fit last winter, do not fit now (I had no idea I had gained THAT much since winter). Its blazing hot here in Tx so I really don't NEED jeans yet - but for ALL THAT IS HOLY......I need something else. I wont wear shorts - so its gotta be something like kakki capris, jean capris, yoga pants or whatnot. Thing is, Ive been searching trying to find something that I feel is somewhat acceptable....and I can find NOTHING. I went to Wal Mart (should have known better).....and just felt feeling worse. Feeling defeated. I HATE being so tall that it seems to take for freaking EVER to go down a size....am I the only one that feels this way?

I also recently stopped nursing and have been wearing the "Ahh bra" since I had my daughter.....tried to wear a real bra over the weekend and thought I was gonna die. Ugh. When am I going to be "rewarded" for my hard work! Yes, I know....its only been a month....its only been a month.....

Vent over, for now. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats for divorcing your scale. Just be aware of how much your moving and how much you are eating and the weight will come off - trust me. It took me 1.5 years to get off 45 pounds just by making small, healthy changes along the way. It's more of a mind set, than going at it "hard core". If you are putting more effort into it than you feel is necessary and you don't see the results you expect, you'll get upset and quit.

I have been every size between a 16 and a 4. I'm 5'11, 155, size 6-8 now. I have a 37in inseam if I want the availability to wear heels (so I'm all leg, and I have the torso of my 5'4 mother) and I've really never had THAT much trouble finding pants. Now, when I was going down and having to buy new sizes I really never had the privilege that most shorter folks do to go find "in between" clothes in the thrift shops and Walmart, but New York and Company, Gap, Old Navy Online, and Limited (in some things) have always come through for me for pants.

Now the tricky thing is putting the effort into looking, trying on and taking back. If you have 60+ pounds to lose I'd suggest investing in some knee length, a-line skirts that can be taken in at the waist for summer (hot months in TX). Being tall, skirts and capris really aren't hard to find. Make sure you get a pair of capris that hit half way on your calf for a more slimming fit. Too short and too long can make you look disproportioned. I've never been a fan of belts - but most people that are the process of losing weight rely on them. I just bit the bullet, found room in the budget and bought clothes that fit at whatever size I was.

I suggest looking at the TALL section on Old Navy Online - order somethings, try them on and if they don't work, take them back and try again. They are inexpense but still fit unlike Walmart. It's a process, but you'll be sure to find something great this way.

Also, do your girls a favor and go get a bra fitting. It's amazing how much better you feel when they are where they are supposed to be. Your waist looks tinier and you look more streamline. And you'll feel better while you are doing good things for yourself.

I'd say losing weight is equally as hard for every height, I have a friend that is 5'1 and if she puts on 5lbs you can tell. I put on 20 and I barely go up a size. :smile:

Good luck and make sure to come back and share with us what you've found!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    definitely worth investing in a couple of decent bras, they should see you through the next 6 months!
    and I was going to suggest skirts too..

I think the big advantage of being tall is that we usually carry the weight well, but the downside is that it takes longer to notice the results (or notice that we need to lose weight in the first place!).

I'd also recommend readjusting your targets to be about health and fitness not size and weight (eg run up the stairs without getting out of breath, get down and play with the kids instead of watching them from the sofa etc).

you're doing great!
  • kbbeale
    Options
    Thanks yall. You are right, lwood - I do "carry weight well" and too much of it! LOL I hate that it takes longer to notice, its hard to stay motivated when you don't see or feel results in a somewhat timely manner. I should have measured before starting my journey again.

You guys have me looking at some clothes online....I just hate to spend the $$ when they wont fit in the next few months....I did buy another pair of jean capris, green kakki colored capris and also a pair of pink 'work out' like pants. Not in the size I wanted to purchase them in, but Im desperate LOL

Im going to be doing some Old Navy shopping soon too. Thanks for helping lift my spirits some. Sucks that weight comes on so easy, yet is so hard to get off. :-/
  • kbbeale
    Options
    And, by the way, my ticker is wrong. LOL I don't know how to adjust it because Im NOT weighing until closer to Christmas time. I'll have been "on plan" for a good 5 months by then so I plan on weighing and comparing that to my last MFP weigh in. :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall. You are right, lwood - I do "carry weight well" and too much of it! LOL I hate that it takes longer to notice, its hard to stay motivated when you don't see or feel results in a somewhat timely manner. I should have measured before starting my journey again.

You guys have me looking at some clothes online....I just hate to spend the $$ when they wont fit in the next few months....I did buy another pair of jean capris, green kakki colored capris and also a pair of pink 'work out' like pants. Not in the size I wanted to purchase them in, but Im desperate LOL

Im going to be doing some Old Navy shopping soon too. Thanks for helping lift my spirits some. Sucks that weight comes on so easy, yet is so hard to get off. :-/

There's a well-known show on TLC called "What Not To Wear" that I have followed from the first episode. The hosts tell the contestants that "you should always buy the size you are not the one you want to be" and not be afraid to buy something just because of the size (which really are arbitrary anyway). Clothes that FIT make you feel better than too tight, ill fitting ones. I know spending the money sucks but you feel so awful in clothes that are either too big or too small and that's not good on your well being in this process. If it makes you feel better I have pants from every size (1 each) in storage in every size from a 16 to a 4. I got rid of most of my big clothes but I wanted a way to go back and see how far I had come. Even if the 4's didn't stay around too long, I have proof that I did reach my "ultimate goal" of weighing the 140's...
  • Rae1105
    Options
    A lot of stores are going to have their end of summer clearance on the types of items you say you're looking for. I would try Target, Kmart, Marshall's, T. J Maxx, Ross or Old Navy for some inexpensive finds to help you through the in-between stages of your weight loss... I hope this helps
  • kbbeale
    Options
    Great idea too!!! Thanks so much.

Another thing - you know, I feel like Im doing well, Im feeling more confident. THEN I see a picture from a party yesterday and it makes me feel like Ive done nothing.......I really wish my confidence wasn't in the crapper. Sigh......

I did have a GREAT NSV though. I made this fabulous chocolate whip cream concoction and only had a bite. I added into the recipe builder and the entire thing was right at 10,000 calories. OMG! I had no desire to blow my day on that.
  • frog8381
    frog8381 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I did have a GREAT NSV though. I made this fabulous chocolate whip cream concoction and only had a bite. I added into the recipe builder and the entire thing was right at 10,000 calories. OMG! I had no desire to blow my day on that.

Ha! I kind of want to eat that :)

I understand how you feel. I'm 6'2" and a few years ago I was able to lose about 75-80 pounds on my own. It took about 25-30 pounds before I changed a size and about 40 pounds before anyone started commenting. It was tough.

I'm back at it again and it is much, much slower than before. But, I'm going to keep on it! My husband has lost about 160 pounds and is a great inspiration to me. I'd like to get tho the point where I weigh less than him again, or at least the same!

But, just keep doing what you must. Ignore the sizes in the store. They aren't all the same anyway :)

And I agree with the rest of the ladies, the right bra can make you look 5-10 pounds slimmer instantly!
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    it's ALL about body composition too.

You need to feel comfortable with being yourself and improving your own personal goals :)