active horse group! woohoo Hopefully ;)

Options
cherie8525
cherie8525 Posts: 109 Member
Today I took Pasha for a hike and then down the road intro her to the world beyond her yard. Wish my trailer was up and running.. hopefully next summer.
Tomorrow I am going to fully back her for the first time.. I have been laying on her, stepping up on stirrups and lot of playing all summer.. she is ready. timing when someone is home or holding line would be bonus.. Hubby said he would give me hand tomorrow.. I really don't' think she is going to react at all, but better safe the sorry and laying around for someone to come home :D

Today as we went down the hill, she is so curious, it is fun to watch her.. oh yea, just thought of weird habit for the 21 question
when were walking the road, she sniffs the ground.. she actually drags her mustache in the dirt.. it is so weird. I have never seen a horse do this before.. have you?
Β«1

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    What's been going on with Pasha? Has she been on the injured bench? My Princess pretty much lives there. I'm going to go see her this morning and, if the farrier got to her this week, do a little round penning to see how she's doing. She fell a few week ago and hurt her left hind leg, so she's been on rest. Next week it will be something else, I'm sure! :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen another horse drag her lips on the ground, but Princess is fascinated by poop. She has to stop and thoroughly investigate it. I always tell her "that food has already been eaten, Princess Piggy!"
  • cherie8525
    Options
    Mouse_Potato
    Pasha just turned 4, and growing faster then weeds. I had hoped for a horse 15 hand, she is becoming a giraffe, I haven't put a tape on her, I am 5'5'' and her back is at my head level.
    I play Parelli style or Natural Horsemanship.. I like to intro everything on the ground before getting up on her back.. were so close.. I had hoped to back her last weekend.. with my husband here at the house. but, my graceful butt Fell hard on Thursday while playing in the garden. felt like I broke my wrist and tore tendon/ ligament. Pain been pretty intense.. Thankfully the T-Relief helps with the swelling.. as long as I don't use it, the pain level is manageable. Today I have been able to use my arm/ wrist cleaning and moving things around.. even typing had been painful.. so new goal, I plan to back her this upcoming weekend. LOL
  • mgood4x4
    mgood4x4 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way for instant alerts when there is a new post to our groups - I think this would be a much more active group if there were. Any one have a suggestion or solution for this?

Anyway, Slate used to scuff his wiskers until he was familiar with new places. I haven't seen him do it for a few years (mostly because he doesn't go anywhere new). He is still very interested in πŸ’© when we are on the trails - he thinks he might meet someone new πŸ˜‰.

Mouse_Potato, I'm sorry to hear that Princess is frequently laid up. It can get really expensive with horses and nobody has any fun when injuries happen. I hope you can get some ride time in soon!

Cherie, great update on your progress with Pasha - thanks for sharing. Hope you're feeling better from your fall, and wish you awesome success this weekend πŸ’– Please keep us posted ☺️
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @mgood4x4
    this platform is very different, I have noticed if your tagged in a post it will show up in the bell up top.. maybe we can tag our replies.

I am excited to be riding her big butt all over these mountains.. downside is how tall she is, I will be bumping into tree limbs.. bad enough I will be wearing spider web off LOL.

when we go out for hikes, she gets so excited and wants to run and play, she will look at me an ask if she can ping which is her going out to the end of my 18' line and buck fart leap in the air, all in place at the end of my line.. she gives me this look like come on let go.. which I reply, Never going to happen, Momma doesn't run, jump or ping. so she settles and we go back to our hike LOL such a goof ball.

I am debating the hand this am, if it is healed enough to go play and take her for a walk or play session.. Looks like it is going to be beautiful out today.

I want to see more pictures of slate ! Looking forward to seeing Princess too

35fyk3thgabc.jpg

• diddly
    diddly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @cherie8525 Beautiful horse
  • mgood4x4
    Options
    @diddly Welcome - and thanks for joining in! I really hope this group gets more active πŸ˜‰

@cherie8525 I am "following" this group, so I do get the red bell at the top of the page, but I only see it when I deliberately visit the"Community". I wish there was an immediate notification when someone posts - similar to what I get when someone likes or comments on one of my activities. I may submit a help request soon to see if that is possible.

BTW, Pasha looks huge in that photo! Absolutely gorgeous too 😍
    Do you know her height or weight yet?
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @diddly
    She is my dream girl, My gift to self after surviving anal cancer. Prior to I had sold my horses not knowing about the cancer.. I had been so exhausted, even walking outside to say hello and love on them had become to much.

Pasha is a joy to play with and is a left brain extrovert. her nickers of greeting brings me intense joy
    0zwa7xakwxty.jpg
    She hears me coming and runs to the arena gates to greet me and play. If I haven't played in a few days, we get about 10ish minutes of head tossing attitude before she settles in and join back up

I am so in love with this horse, I didn't think anyone could beat the love I had for my Rowan (soul horse) but I swear Rowan is with in and the two personalities show
    p398wbm1lr2j.jpg

• cherie8525
    Options
    Last week I went horse camping with a friend in MA .. place is called Wagon Wheel, it is nestled to state trailsvgtad6j3k4aw.jpg
    due to the time we went , we had the campground almost to our selves
    I like the set up, I think, time will tell if the campground is full
    lwegfqil46r5.jpg
    I love these, neat set up for the horses
    cgg4xkak4vwd.jpg
    Laura and her two mustangs, I ride cim, the white horse. omg we had a blast in the pond . The boys like to stomp in puddles, and the trail had some nasty looking water hole we had to ride across. I was impressed with how they stomped and splashed there way across testing the depth and footing. we wanted to rinse them off so we took them to the pond.. I swore cimmeron wanted to roll in the trail puddles, so I thought for sure he would roll at the pond.. that was a big NOPE
    at one point I asked him to get in deep enough for the water to be past is belly. I wanted to rub the muck from the trail puddles. well I must not have given him enough warning because when I reached under neat to rub his stomach his back end shot straight up in the air as the front feet were running.. it was hilarious.. poor guy, I felt kind of bad, not 100% since his streaking out of the water basically took me water surfing on my 22' and man was that water cold. the landing was freezing, but super soft.. felt great once I was back on feet.. I couldn't get self to drop down and soak my back which was still a little dry. I really wish it could have been on video. His surprised reaction had me laughing often through out the afternoon as I replayed it in my head.
    we rode out twice, neither time ending up where we expected so, upside we will go back and eventually find it
    bonus is it isn't to far away. Just over 2 hr. Last place we use to go to was over 7hrs to get there, that is a long haul. Trails are amazing but still a long haul

Do any of you go horse camping/ vacation?

• cherie8525
    Options
    @mgood4x4
    BTW, Pasha looks huge in that photo! Absolutely gorgeous too 😍
    Do you know her height or weight yet?

She is a looker, LOL Everyone is in awe when they see her, I find people either standing or sitting in car just watching her. LOL of course she is at the fence nickering away at any and all visitors.

yesterday I meant to get her height, I brought the tape down, turned out to be the wrong tape it measure cow weight.. I am 5'5 and her wither is 1'' above my ear. she is much taller then I had hoped for.. Oh well, it is what it is. I have already taught her to side pass over to everything, from rocks, stumps, logs, mounting blocks.. there is NO way I am getting my foot up that high to reach stirrup, much less pull self up.

I also need to work on hip flexion. I ride in a tucker which has a great seat in it, but the back mantel is high.. great for riding cups my hinny and holds ya in place through anything. downside is it is an extra flex on hip on mounting and dismounting.. I thought I had fixed my hip, while it is much better then the damage from radiation at first ( just splitting legs open to get in car was horrendously painful) I notice after a long ride, getting leg back up over it has been difficult once leg thigh and hips have been used for a few hours..
    back to stretching on barrels and working on inner thigh muscles
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Well, my Princess gave us a scare this week. Two days in a row she didn't eat her grain and I was afraid she was colicking. Turns out the grain got wet somehow and had started to ferment. I am sooooooo glad she was smart enough not to eat it! <3

I am currently treating her for a sarcoid on her girth line, so we aren't riding at the moment. On Saturday we had a training session with a stick and a flag and I was really pleased with how she reacted. A little snorting and eye-rolling, but mostly she accepted it with an expression that said "this is my stupid human. There are many like her, but this one is mine." :lol:
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @Mouse_Potato
    I am so happy Princess was smart enough. I would be really scared if pasha didn't eat it,, she is a cookie slut.
    My fav cream is 0pwzitpxu56m.jpg
    for any wound , muscle, joint injury.. Don apply to raw area, but all around it. It eliminate inflammation quickly which speeds healing.
    today I sat in a chair and asked pasha to drop her head down low enough to put on her halter. She is such a good girl, it didn't take very long. Next I will give it a go from my knees.
    I haven't been sleeping well, so will pass on really playing with her.. I am going to look up different tricks I can do with her..
    Do you ladies have any neat tricks you do with your horse?
  • mgood4x4
    Options
    @cherie8525 - I think I have it figured out :p Is Pasha standing on her tire in that picture and that's what makes her look SOOO tall? I am also 5'5" and exactly the same height as Slate's withers (I took a 6' level and put it on top of his withers and on top of my head while standing on the flat floor of their building - it was perfectly level! He is 16*1" so I imagine Pasha is pushing 16H as well.

I've never been camping with my horses: when we go its always together as a family and I'm the only one who enjoys the horses so they stay home while we hike, bike, or 4 wheel on the trails. And as far as tricks go, nothing special here. Slate does give hugs and smiles, but other than that he just responds to ques like he was trained. He has excellent manners and is always eager to please so I want to try a few tricks this winter. I have a trick training series that shows how to teach lay down, bow, & sit up, but we haven't started any of it yet because we need better footing - there is a lot of rocks in their current paddock. When we move this fall, they will be on 7 acres of pasture and plenty of soft spots to practice on :)
    2nwyjbgfkoy0.jpg

@Mouse_Potato - I'm glad the scare is over and that your Princess is okay. Like Cherie, I'd be concerned if my boys didn't eat it :D They get regular soaked feedings and in the summer, just an extra hour and it'll begin to ferment (they actually seem to enjoy it - kinda like me with a glass of wine ;) ). Anyway, I'm not very familiar with sarcoids, do they take intense treatment? Are they costly? How long do they take for healing? Will you be able to ride again soon?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Great picture! Our latest trick has been part of desensitization training (because Arabian mare). This past Saturday my trainer was able to swing a tarp around and even drape it over Princess's head without her so much as batting an eye. Yay!! Maybe someday we'll be able to trail ride again.

I totally would have eaten fermented food :wink: but I'm glad she didn't. Her tummy seems a bit more sensitive than mine!

Sarcoids are a type of tumor. They aren't really harmful in and of themselves, but they can cause discomfort and hers is right on the girth line. I've been treating it with a topical I got from my vet. We are on the second round of treatment and it looks much better this time. If it doesn't clear up, we will be talking surgery (very pricey and inconvenient given the location of the sarcoid) or injectable treatment (chemo, basically). If all goes well, we should be able to ride again by the time I return from vacation, which starts in two weeks.

• mgood4x4
    Options
    That's very interesting! Thanks for the education on Sarcoids.

Also, great job with desensitizing - I'm a firm believer in regular sessions with as many scary objects as possible. My boys are a Thoroughbred & an Arabian - they are both pretty bomb proof (but they didn't used to be, it took a lot of desensitizing πŸ˜…).
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @Mouse_Potato
    I agree, Thanks for the education on Sarcoids. First time hearing of them.
    I hope the second treatment heals it completely and you have a great vacation.
    congrat on the tarp.

I love seeing where Pasha needs extra attention . I have a hide the hinny game, where as when I am walking if she is getting ahead of me I turn around and if i can see her hinny I tag it.. well if I am on her left (side halter is tied) she turns with, The other day I was on her right side and holy moly, LMAO evidently we haven't been playing that game from that side.. I tagged her hinny (never hard) and that girl exploded. LOL she was shocked and I don't think she knew it was me.. so she bounced kicked and well exploded which set me off to laughing.. My horse tend to learn quickly when I am laughing nothing is going to eat them.. she settle and looked around like wtf just happened. so of course, we had to do it a few more time.. second time same reactions, third time, much calmer, and by the 4th she settled.

in all fairness is was a beautiful cool am and she was frisky and wanting to run a muck..

Fall is such a fun time to play!

@ mgood4x4
    Pasha wasn't on the tire in that picture.. LOL it is our fencing. the top line is about 4' up.. I think, again guessing. I would guess she is 16h we need to run a taller line for winter.. that way once snow falls we can unhitch the ones that get buried under snow

Fall is sliding in, the tree's here are putting on color, it is a beautiful time of year..
    My garden is keeping me busy.
    I am itching to get back into routine of playing with Pash.. I get sidetracked going out.. There is always things that can be done and before I know it.. I am. LOL
    Once garden is pulled, Then she will get 100% of my attention

Love your pictures, and how exciting your moving to 7 acres

have a wonderful weekend ladies

• mgood4x4
    Options
    Great day horse lovers!

Cherie8525 - I must clarify... Our new home is actually 23 acres total, but only 7 is fenced pasture for the boys 😁.

I have mixed feelings about moving the horses. It will be so great for them to have more grazing & room to run than where we are now. But I will lose the benefit of riding the miles of trails in the State park several times a week. It is such a beautiful place. Only 1 mile away - so I can just tack up & go without a plan or trailering. I can enjoy an 8 mile calorie burning, scenic ride within 2 hours INCLUDING a quick grooming + tack + untack when back home! The 23 acres is so small & limited in comparison. It will take some time, but I'm planning on building an obstacle course in the pasture to play on though - so it's only limited by my imagination πŸ˜‰.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @mgood4x4
    27 acres is even better LOL I do love riding in state park trails.. Can you create trails on your 27 acres? 7 acres of grazing could give you plump boys.. Pasha is only on 1.5 and has zero ribs showing or any that can be felt. She is great at convincing everyone she is starving with a cute nicker. which in reply we tend to toss a flake. LOL
  • mgood4x4
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @cherie8525
    I do plan to create some trails, but it's going to be a bit in the future. While there is 7 acres fenced, there is no shelter yet aside from a few large trees. We are still renovating the house, and Dwayne needs a garage built so we can maintain our vehicles & equipment. We are going to build a quick run-in for the horses, then after the garage is built, we are going to start building a barn. Not sure how many trails (or how soon) we'll be able to create with all these other projects on our to-do list.

Here's a few pics from the trail today - I will miss my frequent Andy Guest rides πŸ₯Ί
    5qjumt3mpc2q.jpg
    5mtf3fezcbmd.jpg
    6xkljmetj62x.jpg
    l4o7kevnm689.jpg
    fko4cbdjqb1e.jpg
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @mgood4x4
    I understand the to do list of Needs versus wants. LOL How often do your horses use your barn now? I find pasha will go in her run if it is really buggy.. . Most horses prefer living outside. For the last few weeks pasha has even decided to NOT use her stall/ run in as her bathroom.. LOL super excited to not have to pick the stall daily.

I still haven't backed her, She is so wide.. The horse I have been riding is on the thinner side. which stretches my hip, it has taken time to get them that wide.. pasha is going to require a lot more. she is very sensitive to my reaction.. (I have noticed a change in her behavior when I play while being in pain) I don't want to pass on the pain of the stretch to me being on her back.. I'll have to work to focus on keeping energy passive while body adjust to stretch.

Ty for sharing your pictures.. Love seeing different places.. I miss trail riding out alone. It has been Years.. That is my goal for Pasha and I next summer.. Exploring the mountain sides :) She enjoys our hiking, very left brain and calm.. I am excited for our time together to expand.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    I took a two week vacation, but this morning I got out to work my girl. We put her in a surcingle and introduced her to long lining. She did really well! She was licking and chewing the whole time and looking at us like "do the two of you just get drunk on Friday nights and think up weird stuff to do to me?" :lol: