Downsizers - Team Chat SEPTEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,511 Member
    Options
    WTGNicole wrote: »
    Re: blue cheese dressing, the recipe Megan linked is a great springboard, but if you are also trying to lower your calories as well as your carbs, there are tweaks you can make:

- there are many varieties of blue cheese. If you choose one with a stronger flavor, you can use less cheese and still get great flavor. Roquefort has a really strong flavor.

-keto usually says to use the whole milk or full fat versions of things because it has less carbs and higher satiety. Non fat or reduced fat sour cream & Greek yogurt only have a few more carbs than the full fat versions, and fewer calories. Brands also differ, some use more fillers to get a certain texture. Examples:
    Regular Sour Cream: 2T, 45 cal, 1 carb
    Light Sour Cream: daisy brand 2T, 25 cal, 2 carbs
    Nonfat Sour Cream: 2T, 15 cal, 3 carbs
    Whole milk Greek Yogurt: 3/4 c, 170 cal, 1 carb
    Nonfat Greek Yogurt: 3/4 cup, 90 cal, 7 carbs

Thanks for all the tips! Blue cheese dressing is my absolute favourite so next week I am going to make some with all this in mind.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    roz0810 wrote: »
    Hi again everyone.

Quick update from me. I'm 4.6lbs down since starting up again. Counting calories, drinking lots of water and getting movement in. Weigh in day is Thursdays but I've been doing it daily too to keep an eye on things 🙂

Hope you're all well.

Keep it up! Great job!

Pickles175 wrote: »
    Hi! Thanks for having me!

1. Tell us a little about yourself? Hi! I’m Pickles from Wisconsin, 49 years old. I’m a pretty chatty, friendly person and a good listener.
    2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I’ve been on and off mfp for 7 years. The pandemic and having 3 surgeries during that time just started back the eat everything and do nothing cycle. When I had to consider going up another size in clothes (which I’d already done once in the past 2 years) I said enough is enough.
    3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? My triggers are stress which honestly is usually from my ex husband or my kids. Can’t avoid them but work on dealing with how to not eat all the chocolate in the house!
    4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb. I’m CICO all the way! Nothing is forbidden, just everything in moderation.
    5. What is your favourite way to workout? I use the fitness tool The Mirror and pick my workouts from that. I usually do cardio bootcamp, cardio strength, kickboxing or something along those lines.
    6. What are some of your goals this month? Just to stay consistent. And not die as much every workout. My loose goal is to lose 4lbs a month.
    7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Hopefully support and a place to know I’m not alone.

Welcome! Thanks for answering the questions as it’s nice to get to know our teammates.

rlaskey2 wrote: »
    PW 183.4
    CW 183.4
    Steps 9/27 10,697
    9/28 5,719

I guess I am happy I stayed the same. Monday I worked out but yesterday It was rainy and I got sleepy and lazy after work. I am hoping after next week I can log off at 4;30 which will give me an extra half hour after work to get my work out in. I have been doing well during the day with less mindless snacking and I made mason jar Cobb salads for everyday this week for lunch. So helpful so I don’t just grab whatever and it’s filled with protein. Dressing is homemade with skinnytaste recipe. I am keeping my big water jug right next to my desk, I get embarrassed that it looks silly on all my video calls I sit on now but oh well.

What type of dressing do you use? I was eating a lot of Cobb salads for awhile but I love blue cheese dressing and it was adding too many calories. I would like to try your recipe.

I have a keto version of blue cheese dressing if you are interested ... it taste great and easy to make
    https://www.wholesomeyum.com/blue-cheese-dressing-recipe/

Thanks Megan!
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    Daily Check-in (9/28 stats):

Steps: 10,34
    Floors: 15
    Calories Burned: 523
    Daily Intensity Minutes: 85
    Total Intensity Minutes: 220/150
    Early W/O: Yes😊
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,805 Member
    Options
    roz0810 wrote: »
    Hi again everyone.

Quick update from me. I'm 4.6lbs down since starting up again. Counting calories, drinking lots of water and getting movement in. Weigh in day is Thursdays but I've been doing it daily too to keep an eye on things 🙂

Hope you're all well.

Keep it up! Great job!

Hi! Thanks for having me!

1. Tell us a little about yourself? Hi! I’m Pickles from Wisconsin, 49 years old. I’m a pretty chatty, friendly person and a good listener.
    2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I’ve been on and off mfp for 7 years. The pandemic and having 3 surgeries during that time just started back the eat everything and do nothing cycle. When I had to consider going up another size in clothes (which I’d already done once in the past 2 years) I said enough is enough.
    3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? My triggers are stress which honestly is usually from my ex husband or my kids. Can’t avoid them but work on dealing with how to not eat all the chocolate in the house!
    4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb. I’m CICO all the way! Nothing is forbidden, just everything in moderation.
    5. What is your favourite way to workout? I use the fitness tool The Mirror and pick my workouts from that. I usually do cardio bootcamp, cardio strength, kickboxing or something along those lines.
    6. What are some of your goals this month? Just to stay consistent. And not die as much every workout. My loose goal is to lose 4lbs a month.
    7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Hopefully support and a place to know I’m not alone.

Welcome! Thanks for answering the questions as it’s nice to get to know our teammates.

rlaskey2 wrote: »
    PW 183.4
    CW 183.4
    Steps 9/27 10,697
    9/28 5,719

I guess I am happy I stayed the same. Monday I worked out but yesterday It was rainy and I got sleepy and lazy after work. I am hoping after next week I can log off at 4;30 which will give me an extra half hour after work to get my work out in. I have been doing well during the day with less mindless snacking and I made mason jar Cobb salads for everyday this week for lunch. So helpful so I don’t just grab whatever and it’s filled with protein. Dressing is homemade with skinnytaste recipe. I am keeping my big water jug right next to my desk, I get embarrassed that it looks silly on all my video calls I sit on now but oh well.

What type of dressing do you use? I was eating a lot of Cobb salads for awhile but I love blue cheese dressing and it was adding too many calories. I would like to try your recipe.

I have a keto version of blue cheese dressing if you are interested ... it taste great and easy to make
    https://www.wholesomeyum.com/blue-cheese-dressing-recipe/

Thanks Megan!

You're very welcome :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Bluetail6 wrote: »

Steps: 10,34

Great steps Lee :)
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Evening All!!! 😀

Chest, Triceps and Shoulders tonight!

Longish day today... Workout wasn't fun fun fun tonight. But it was fun enough and sometimes that's good enough. lol

Lynn actually did phenomenal today, and powered through some serious reptations. 🥳

As for me, I did good too... But as I had mentioned a short time ago, gains are getting harder to come by at least where Chest and Triceps are concerned... Which is normal to some degree. I managed at least 1 extra rep in each set of Flat DB Bench press so that's an improvement. Fair to say I improved all around. But I won't be jumping up weight every week anymore, in fact it may take weeks or even months? I guess we will find out though. 🙂

Shoulder's might have some more room to grow though, Plate raises have graduated to the 45 pounder for the first time today and I managed to get 10 reps.. Which is fine place to start. 👍😆

And with that... I got some more damn dishes to do... ERg. I hate them. I do.

Good night everyone! 😀😆👍

s8h5f96hvp64.png
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    MJ_Keto wrote: »
    1. Tell us a little about yourself?
    Hi everyone! I'm Mjere (pronounced “Mira”), I’m 42 years old and married to my amazing husband Jeff. I have an amazing daughter who is 17 and senior in high school, and two stepkids who are both in college; my stepson is a junior and my stepdaughter just started her freshman year last week. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, in a suburb outside of Portland, OR. I work full-time and will do my best to stay connected online throughout the day, but might do most of my posts in the evenings or between meetings.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    I was a pretty healthy kid, and started running in 7th grade, which probably helped me stay in shape throughout my teen years more than I even knew at the time. Once I was about 18 I started gaining weight easier, even though I kept exercising. Since then, I’ve gained and Iost weight countless times; every time I lost weight, I always gained it all back, plus some. I tried almost every diet out there, and I was a vegetarian and a vegan for a number of years. About 4 years ago, I discovered keto and it was the first "diet" that didn't leave me hungry or craving food! I joined MFP at the time, and was a part of a group called “Lowjax’s Losers” that provided me tremendous support and inspiration. I followed a strict keto diet for a year, keeping my carbs at ~20/day. I lost 50 pounds this way, and I felt amazing! I slowly added in a few carb-ups over time (e.g. apples, sweet potatoes), and sustained my weight loss and continued to be fat-adapted. However, over the past year, I've let too many carbs sneak back in to my daily life and they've disrupted my energy, weight, and motivation.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    Oh gosh, so many things! Chocolate, french fries, chips, ice cream… However, I’m an all or nothing person, so for this month I am turning those items “off” and focusing on eating low-carb, high-fat foods.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by?
    I follow a low-carb/high-fat (LCHF) eating plan; not 100% keto, but close. This way of eating really works for me and takes away my cravings that lead to binges. If I let the carb monster out, it’s all over!

5. What is your favourite way to workout?
    I am a runner, because I find it to be the most effective way to stay in shape. I can’t say it’s my “favorite” way to exercise, but it’s definitely the most bang for the buck! I only run 3 days/week, never more than that, otherwise I’m prone to injuries. Other than running, I enjoy walking and hiking. I’m hoping to start incorporating more strength training into my weekly routine, which I’ve done on and off over the years.

6. What are some of your goals this month?
    I'm looking forward to getting back on track with keto/LCHF. I want to start logging my food again because that accountability really helps me. I’m looking forward to having more energy and focus by “cleaning up” my eating. I’m a firm believer in “garbage in, garbage out”.

7. What do you expect to gain from the team?
    Support, motivation, and inspiration! I know I do better eating healthy and staying on track with exercise when I have people I’m accountable to. I feel blessed to have found this group, and I look forward to learning from all of you!

Mjere! I'm so happy to see you here and on my team!! Let's tackle this together again!

After Lowjax I got married then pregnant on our honeymoon (and now have a 2 year old!) But ate my way through that pregnancy and infant hood and had to lose it all over again - so here I am!
  • Bluetail6
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018
    Thank you!!
  • Bluetail6
    Options
    Bluetail6 wrote: »

Steps: 10,234

I realized I hadn't properly recorded my steps for yesterday!!
  • WTGNicole
    WTGNicole Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    so this weekend when everything starts we're supposed to share our steps and floors and calories burned etc etc?
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    We have a new member joining us ... Please welcome @luccianaff :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    so this weekend when everything starts we're supposed to share our steps and floors and calories burned etc etc?

We will have a new chat on Sunday 10/3 ...When Linda and I do our introductions we will post what is expected... I am in charge of the step challenge so if any of you are interested in joining you can let me know on Sunday ...I will post more about it then
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Yay Katie is here too!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited September 2021
    Options

Yay Katie is here too!

She is lovely :)
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    PW: 252.6
    CW: 252.4

TOM so I'm glad this wasn't a gain! Staying within my calories and drinking so much water too
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Good evening everyone. Another wednesday is in the books. Now for the back half of the week.

Check in for 9/29:
    Steps - 6708 plus 15 minutes exercise bike moderate exertion.
    Calories - 1650. Had a piece of pineapple pie for dessert. Never heard of it before. It was ok. Discount shelf at the store.
    Exercise. Gym. 8 machines and 15 min bike. Dropped weight in most of the machines so I don't reinjure the back. I will slowly build back up.

I told my daughter that I was thinking of ordering a small cake when I hit 300 lbs gone. I am 3 away today. She decided to order it today. I now have a week to lose it. Ugh. She meant well.

Welcome to our newest members. So many the last month.
  • jayenguk
    jayenguk Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    good morning! its my birthday! omg so my present to myself is stick to my calories lol hope you all have a great day
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Super Duper Thursday is here!

Did you get out of bed yet? Are you ready to tackle the day ahead?

Me neither... let's all go back to bed!

Good night folks! 😆😅🤣😅😀🥳😉

Just kidding... I was supposed to box this morning, but I woke up feeling refreshed and had a bit of extra zing in my step. So, I decided to get my *kitten* outside and have a good walk this morning. It was nice and cool out there, so I dressed a little warmer, wore pants and funny family branded football jersey titled "The Burwash Gang" with a big burley moose on it. Considering I had a pretty good walk on Tuesday, my legs, feet and knees all performed pretty well and were noticeably less sore by the time I was done then they have been in the past. This bodes well for my future. lol 😀

We were supposed to go to Toronto today... But apparently plans changed and Lynn's brother no longer wants us there today.. lol (not sure what we did... 😋) But they want us there tomorrow. So were not leaving till around 6am Friday morning. (still not going to try and fit in a leg day on Friday... Nope.. Uh-uh.. Sorry). I don't even think I'm going to try and fit in some extra Bicep and back work today as I really do need to try and let my left elbow heal (I'm just terrible at this resting thing 😛)

I suspect we will get lots of walking in when were on our own in Downtown Toronto on Saturday and Sunday... So as long as we behave, hopefully we will both burn lots of fat!!! I wouldn't be surprised though with the extra activity this week, the fat loss gets hidden with some extra water weight thrown in, but you never know right? 😐😜😆😊

Alright... is blowing by this morning. And this *kitten* needs to get to work!

Have a brilliant day everyone and Live long and Prosper! 🤓😀😊🤗🤗🤗😋

iw4dy518ckj4.jpg
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options

Everyone shares something different. I set goals for the month and check in daily with how I do. Right now I am sharing if I reach my step goal, stay with in calories, weekly zone minutes and tracking. I am thinking of some new goals for October. I also post my steps and exercise daily as I am in the step challenge. Megan converts my exercise to steps. What are your goals for October? Maybe check in on how you do with them.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @Bluetail6
    They are pretty awesome steps!

@Poobah1972
    What a great way to start the morning. Fall is such a nice time of year to walk. Would you rather walk or the elliptical for cardio?

@roz0810
    Nice job losing! Do you drink your water plain or add flavour drops? I add ice tea drops to mine.

@rwood566
    Great exercise day! Watch the back. That is so sweet of your daughter. 300 pounds gone should be a huge celebration. Ok now for the pineapple. 🤮 It’s not meant to be on pizza so it’s certainly shouldn’t be in pie. 😂

@jayenguk
    Happy Birthday! 🎂🎉🥳. Enjoy a small piece of cake. You can work it into your calories.
This discussion has been closed.