Options
124»

Replies

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,672 Member
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 13, 2021

Psalms 137:4

How shall we sign the Lord's song in a strange land?

College was a foreign land for Diane. Even after three years, she felt alienated and alone. Her values just didn't mesh with the values of the people she went to class with. Sometimes she wondered why she even bothered having morals, with all the immorality rampant on campus. She was thankful that she was a Christian, but there were times when even that was small consolation. God was hard to find in a strange place that obviously didn't know Him very well. Face it, Jesus Christ was not big man on campus. It was hard, but down deep inside Diane knew things would get better. She just hoped it would be soon.

It is hard to be in a strange land. That is what we become when we ask Christ into our lives. He transforms us into Kingdom people while we are yet in our earthly existence. What that does is make us homesick for the one true home above. Thankfully, God is ever with His children, and He will hear our cries. In our times of silence we will hear His song, and we will be able t o sing forth ourselves, no matter how strange the land.

Prayer: Lord, hear my prayers. Let me know that I am not alone; that You are truly close to me. When I feel most lonesome, fill me with Your presence. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 14, 2021

Psalms 137:6

If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.

Brett joined the church when he as fourteen. In the sixty years following his confirmation, he set foot in a church no more than a half-dozen times.

Just prior to his seventy-fifth birthday, Brett died and stood before the lord.

The Lord said, "You joined my church long years ago. Why?"

Brett stood speechless and ashamed. No answer or excuse, and Brett had many of them, seemed adequate. No apology covered his negligence. All Brett could do was hang his head and cry, for he only now began to realize why he had needed the church.

If we forget our Lord, we will find ourselves steeped in shame when we stand before Him.

To call Him Lord, master, Guardian, Friend requires commitment on our part. We cannot take continually without giving something back.

Remember the Lord, and speak forth with joy in His presence, for you have known Him, and indeed He knows you.

Prayer: Lord, forgive me when I neglect You and turn to other things. Help me to keep You fully in my mind and heart. Prepare me for Your glory. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 15, 2021

Psalm 137:8

O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou served us.

"Doesn't God care? Why do evil people get away with all the things they do?"The question is asked almost every day. Evil seems to be having its way all the time. Don't worry. God sees everything, and He will not forget what evil people have done.

Our God, though a God of love, is a God of justice. He will reward those who honor Him, and he will punish those who have rejected Him and His ways. We are responsible for the way God will deal with us. If we choose to ignore Him, we cannot hope for good things, but if we pursue God with all our hearts, we will experience blessing and joy beyond measure.

Prayer: I know that You care, and I know that You will do right by all who love You. Give me patience to accept what seems unfair now. Make me deserving Your grace. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 17, 2021

Psalms 138:2

I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

"I believe in God, but I have no use for the Bible. People take it and twist it, and it's no good to anyone. The Bible just gives some people an excuse to feel superior to other people."

The young man who expressed these sentiments is right. . .to some extent. God's Word has been misused many times throughout history. It has a destructive component when used by the wrong people for the wrong reasons, but that is no reason to reject it. What God intends for his Word and what people do with it are two completely different things.

God does reveal Himself through His Word, and it is nearly impossible to come to a deep understanding of Him apart from the Holy Scriptures. God has magnified Himself through His Word, and enables us to know Him when we read it in a spirit of openness, with a desire for the truth.

Prayer: Illumine the pages of Your Word, Lord. Bless me with understanding of Your Holy Scripture, and help me to keep an open mind as I learn and grow. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 18, 2021

Psalms 138:4

All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O Lord, when they hear the words of thy mouth.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the leaders on earth suddenly found their hearts filled with love, and compassion, and justice? What would happen if they all decided that top priority would be to take care of others first? Perhaps then we would have a taste of what God originally intended. We want to believe that our leaders are listening for the voice of God as they make their difficult decisions, but often we can only wonder.

Perhaps one day all the kings of earth will stop their quarreling long enough to hear the gentle urgings of God. Until then, it is the responsibility of every Christian to pray for the leaders and ask God that He might work for good in spite of them, when it is impossible to work with or through them.

Prayer: Amidst the chaos of our world, Lord, You are the center of sanity and reason. Inspire our leaders to work together for the greatest good. Help them to do what is pleasing in Your sight. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 19, 2021

Psalms 138:7

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wil t revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.

Chet and Alex had been great friends since elementary school.

Now they were starting together on the high school football team; Alex the star running back, and Chet his number one blocker. Chet opened the holes to let Alex get running room, and Alex took off.

Throughout their lives together, things had worked pretty much the same way. Chet was always looking out for Alex, making sure he was okay. Together they were an unbeatable pair.

Life sometimes feels like a football game. We've got the ball, and everybody else is out to flatten us. In that case, we want to have the best blocker in front of us that we can.

God will assume that role for us, if we ask Him to.

God sticks with us in the midst of trouble. He picks us up when we fall, He reaches out to help us along when we get bogged down, and He clears our way to deal with problems rather than let us be beaten by them. Nothing can harm us so long as God is on our side.

Prayer: There are days, Lord, when I feel like I'm losing ground all the time. I get tired of trying so hard to make things work out and feeling like they just get worse. When I face those times, O God, be with me to lift me up and make me a conquer. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 21, 2021

Psalms 139:2-24

Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Peter and Jeanne had been through a lot together. Peter's wife had died a few years before, and Jeanne's husband had left her. They had spent many long hours talking to each other, pulling each other through dismal times. They had grown so close that they knew each other's thoughts and moods without a word passing between them. In time they decided to marry, and theirs was a match to truly honor God. Their love was a fine example of how wonderful love can be.

We need someone to turn to who knows us and who we can trust. God is that someone. Perhaps we will find an earthly partner who understands us so well, but even if we don't, God will hear us, He will know us, and He will comfort us. He is never too busy for us, and He knows our hearts before we even call upon Him. Talk to the Lord. Take your deepest desires to Him, and rejoice in the blessings He has to give.

Prayer: I need Your counsel, Father. Thank You for knowing me so well, and for being there when I need You. Watch over me, Lord, and fill me with the assurance of Your nearness. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 22, 2021

Psalms 138:4

For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

Kirk loved working with the young actors and actresses. They had such enthusiasm, and they wanted so hard to please.

Kirk had many offers to move on to more "serious" theater opportunities, but he always chose to stay with the high school crowd. Little did it matter that each opening night gave him gray hairs. He died every time one of his kids muffed a line, but the feeling of triumph after every show made it worthwhile. He would live and die for his kids. He loved them.

Like the director of a play who knows all his actors' lines by heart, so God knows the thoughts and words we possess. He stands anxiously, waiting to see if we will use our mouths to glorify and uplift, or if we will muff our lines and turn to other things. He always knows what he would like us to say, but He still allows us the freedom to choose what will actually come out. Let us use our tongues to the glory and honor of God. Proclaim the love of God, and you'll never muff a line.

Prayer: O Lord, may the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart, be truly acceptable in Thy sight, for You are the source of my strength, and my salvation. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 25 2021

Psalms 139:12

Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

Sam stuck close to his dad. The old building was dark, and Sam wasn't sure what might be out in that darkness. All he knew for sure was that his dad was big and brave, and he wasn't afraid of the dark. Sam hoped that one day he would be like his dad: able to walk in darkness just like he would in broad daylight.

Our Lord goes with us into the dark times of our lives. He holds us by the hand and lets us know that we have nothing to fear. Darkness and light are the same to the Lord. He will lead us through our times of fear and bring us back into the light every time.

Prayer: When I am fearful, Lord, I will reach out to You. Walk with me through the dark times. Fill me with your courage. Teach me to walk in Your light always. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms November 29, 2021

Psalms 139:17

How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them!

Luke was considered by many to be one of the most influential men in American business. He controlled millions of dollars, was responsible for employing millions of workers, and made decisions that affected millions of people's lives.

He spent time with most of the truly important people in the world; but no one more important, in Luke's mind, than the Lord.

Schedules were always packed full, but never so full that Luke didn't take some time with God. No decision was made without consulting the Lord.

When so much depended on the integrity of Luke's decisions, he wanted to make sure he took into consideration the Word of the Lord. To do less would be absurd.

The counsel of the Lord should be precious to us all. God holds the sum of all wisdom and knowledge. He is the ground of all common sense. Why wouldn't we want to consult the Lord when we make the important decisions in our lives? Doing less is absurd.

Prayer: Fill my mind with Your own thoughts, O God. Help me to see problems through Your eyes and meet them with Your solutions. Teach me to use the gifts of reason, logic, and wisdom that You have given me. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms December 1, 2021

Psalms 140:11

Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall bunt the violent man to overthrow him.

The committee was worried. They had elected a new chairman who was becoming vocal about some very unpopular ideas.

People were getting the idea that the committee endorsed these ideas, just because the new chair so freely shared them. Some of his ideas were quite biased and offensive. Quick action was being taken to replace him, but the damage done was almost too great to measure.

The words of our mouth are powerful weapons. We can do great good by a few well-placed words, or we can wreak total destruction. The words of an evil person spread like a cancer. However, the words spoken by righteous men and women can be our greatest source of healing. Be careful how you speak, for you hold great power and responsibility within your words.

Prayer: Guide the words I speak, Lord. Spice them with Your love and concern. Make my speech a joy to others, not a burden. Steer me away from evil, I pray. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Wisdom from the Psalms December 8, 2021

Psalms 143:2

And enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.

Claire found fault with everyone. The mailman was always late, the grocery clerk was always slow, the paperboy was always rude, the minister was always boring, her friends were always too loud, too quiet, too fat, too skinny, too immoral, too prudish. In Claire's eyes, no one was really worth much at all.

Forgiveness was one word which was not found in Claire's vocabulary. She could not forgive people for being human. Luckily, God does acknowledge our humanness, and He loves us just the same.

God has yet to see the perfect human being, apart from Jesus Christ, but that doesn't change His feeling for us. When we see others through the eyes of God's love, then we find that we can accept their failings and love them as they are.

Prayer: Help to find the lovable in all people, Lord. Destroy in me the tendency to be judgmental. Instead, teach me new ways to affirm others and spread Your grace. Amen.