Hello - we have our own group!

Options
I'm not sure how active members want to be, but I will start the ball rolling with a little background. If you feel that you want to introduce yourself, please do. If you don't that's fine too - it's just nice to share ideas, recipes and offer support to each other. Here goes...... I'll be 60 in Dec and am married with three sons 29, 27, 23 and two dogs. At my heaviest I was 20 stone 7 pounds (287 pounds) or 130 kg and I'm now 10 stone 7 pounds (147 pounds) 66.6 kg. I stopped eating meat and poultry when I was 21, and just have a little fish to supplement my mostly vegetarian diet. I follow my own plan, which works for me. Look forward to hearing from you

Replies

• Jem594
    Jem594 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have more than half my body weight to lose and I am disabled by arthritis. I'm married (30 years) and have two great sons who have their own disabilities. One son has Autism. The other son has T1Diabetes,
    My current weight loss journey began when my Dr said my sugars were starting to get high. I see my son struggle and I don't want to go down that road. I have to get this weight off. I tend to get emotional when the scale doesn't cooperate and I suffer from depression and anxiety. good luck to all!!
  • Sharon7986
    Sharon7986 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Jem594 wrote: »
    Hello, I have more than half my body weight to lose and I am disabled by arthritis. I'm married (30 years) and have two great sons who have their own disabilities. One son has Autism. The other son has T1Diabetes,
    My current weight loss journey began when my Dr said my sugars were starting to get high. I see my son struggle and I don't want to go down that road. I have to get this weight off. I tend to get emotional when the scale doesn't cooperate and I suffer from depression and anxiety. good luck to all!!

Hi there
    I’m sorry to hear that you have so much on your plate. Have you done lots of research into anti-inflammatory foods for your arthritis? My eldest son is an Osteopath and he said that there is some very positive feedback from following an anti-inflammatory diet. My middle son has dyspraxia and my youngest suffers with
    Depression and anxiety. I have also had 35 years of debilitating panic attacks and depression. It’s very hard to exercise if you struggle to leave the house and so much time is spent just getting through the day. People just don’t get it.
    Although I don’t count carbs, because I have a very restrictive calorie consumption, I have to maximise the nutritional aspect of everything I eat and there’s very little room for starchy foods. It’s perfect for someone who’s diabetic. My husband sometimes looks at what I’m eating and says “that’s a lot!”
    I’ve had a bit of a cheat day as it’s my 35th wedding anniversary today and my son made us a lovely meal. Tricolour salad then Mushroom and truffle risotto. I can’t remember the last time I had rice. Back on track again tomorrow!!
  • Jem594
    Options
    Thanks Sharon, sounds like we both have more than enough to handle. My youngest son (25) has debilitating anxiety about leaving the house. He couldn't attend high school because of it.. I actually haven't looked into an anti-inflam diet. I really should.
    Happy Anniversary!! I'm glad your enjoying your cheat day and how nice of your son.
  • WTGNicole
    WTGNicole Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I should have looked in the "Groups" sooner haha...I'm still figuring out how to navigate this site. It's so nice to meet y'all!!!
  • WTGNicole
    Options
    Sharon7986 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how active members want to be, but I will start the ball rolling with a little background. If you feel that you want to introduce yourself, please do. If you don't that's fine too - it's just nice to share ideas, recipes and offer support to each other. Here goes...... I'll be 60 in Dec and am married with three sons 29, 27, 23 and two dogs. At my heaviest I was 20 stone 7 pounds (287 pounds) or 130 kg and I'm now 10 stone 7 pounds (147 pounds) 66.6 kg. I stopped eating meat and poultry when I was 21, and just have a little fish to supplement my mostly vegetarian diet. I follow my own plan, which works for me. Look forward to hearing from you

Hi Sharon, I think background is a great idea :smile: I'll be 53 in October. I've been divorced for 13 years and have 4 kids: 27, 25, 22, 21. I'm not exactly sure what my HEAVIEST was, but it was over 300 lbs. I've been up and down and all around--usually I do extreme things, so this time I'm just trying to eat relatively low-carb, not much processed food, working on staying under my calories and moving around some--I want to get used to living in a healthy way. Eventually I'd love to get back to kickboxing, I REALLYYYYY love that. I would also like to date! But I've noticed the guys I attract at this weight aren't quite the guys I prefer, at least so far.

I reallyyyyy need friends. COVID, not being at work, not getting out doing things regularly, and not drinking & eating like crap--I'm not quite sure what all has factored into it, but it seems like the only person I talk to regularly is my sis! I'm introverted so for most of this time I've been fine being alone, being home, but I KNOW I will not be able to do this without some support from like-minded people. That's why I'm SO GLAD you shared your story and started this little group. I'm so glad to meet you!
  • WTGNicole
    Options

Hi Jem! 30 years married, that's amazing!!! Good for you for doing what you need to do to head off diabetes. You sound like a really strong woman!
  • Jem594
    Options

Hi Jem! 30 years married, that's amazing!!! Good for you for doing what you need to do to head off diabetes. You sound like a really strong woman![/quote]

Wow, thanks! Looking forward to getting to know you.. I'm currently 431 lbs and have a long way to go. good luck to you.
  • bloomnsunshine
    bloomnsunshine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm 52 years old and have about 100 lbs. to lose. I have multiple medical conditions and medications which makes it hard to lose weight and have helped me to put on weight. I am currently working with a doctor that gave me this web site and a great new diet, so I am just getting started.

My biggest concerns are to keep from getting diabetes since it is a family trait and reduce my daily inflammation with food and exercise.

I have two wonderful daughters (ages 29 & 24), a small dog, cat and bunny, and a wonderful boyfriend who supports me in all that I do. I also have a young niece (8) and nephew (11) that I love being with and doing things with. Becoming more active at a healthier weight is very important.
  • Jem594
    Options
    Welcome! We have two biggest concerns in common! good luck with your journey
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm 52 years old and have about 100 lbs. to lose. I have multiple medical conditions and medications which makes it hard to lose weight and have helped me to put on weight. I am currently working with a doctor that gave me this web site and a great new diet, so I am just getting started.

My biggest concerns are to keep from getting diabetes since it is a family trait and reduce my daily inflammation with food and exercise.

I have two wonderful daughters (ages 29 & 24), a small dog, cat and bunny, and a wonderful boyfriend who supports me in all that I do. I also have a young niece (8) and nephew (11) that I love being with and doing things with. Becoming more active at a healthier weight is very important.

Glad you found us. We are all on a journey of weight gain and losses and know what it feels like to try so hard. I really can’t believe I am in the position I’m in and so want to help anyone who has a long way to go. Forgive me if there are delays in responding- I think you all live in the USA and there are a lot of hours time difference with the UK. I’m also very clunky with the social media side of MFP
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    nvielufm wrote: »

Hi Sharon, I think background is a great idea :smile: I'll be 53 in October. I've been divorced for 13 years and have 4 kids: 27, 25, 22, 21. I'm not exactly sure what my HEAVIEST was, but it was over 300 lbs. I've been up and down and all around--usually I do extreme things, so this time I'm just trying to eat relatively low-carb, not much processed food, working on staying under my calories and moving around some--I want to get used to living in a healthy way. Eventually I'd love to get back to kickboxing, I REALLYYYYY love that. I would also like to date! But I've noticed the guys I attract at this weight aren't quite the guys I prefer, at least so far.

I reallyyyyy need friends. COVID, not being at work, not getting out doing things regularly, and not drinking & eating like crap--I'm not quite sure what all has factored into it, but it seems like the only person I talk to regularly is my sis! I'm introverted so for most of this time I've been fine being alone, being home, but I KNOW I will not be able to do this without some support from like-minded people. That's why I'm SO GLAD you shared your story and started this little group. I'm so glad to meet you!

Hi there nvielufm (sorry. Don’t I know your name).
    These last 18 months have been tough, especially if you suffer with anxiety/ depression as I and so many of us do. I wouldn’t call myself introverted, but I’m happy in my own company and am never bored. I do, however, love chatting and making new friends. I stick to a very calorie limit of 726. I know, weird number. I have very specific meal goals and concentrate on protein and fibre. It’s not for everyone but I have plenty to eat, it’s pretty much unprocessed apart from Quorn (do u have that in USA? And I’m eating far more nutritiously than I’ve ever done before. My carbs/starch/sugars are naturally low so no blood sugar spikes. I don’t want to foist any suggestion on anyone, but always happy to chat about anything specific.
    Glad you found the group and hope to speak with you regularly
  • WTGNicole
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Y'all, my name is Nicole :smiley:

Sharon! 726 calories! What?! Tell me more! (please lol)
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    So meal goals are 1st meal 112 cals -

135g egg white omelette with 104g mushrooms, 14g vivera (vegetarian bacon), 80g spinach. This meal is a plateful, super nutritious and packs 20.5g protein. I tend to eat it at 1pm, just drinking in the morning.

Next meal 120 calories at around 4pm is a salad, with various leaves, red cabbage, radishes, sugar snap peas, babycorn, raw asparagus, pea shoots or sprouted lentils and 100g fat free cottage cheese (63) with very low calorie dressing. I adapt this depending on fridge. Occasionally I use Quorn deli slices, or 1/2 smallest tin of tuna (no mayo) and may have pickles (daring!!) This meal is around 15.5g protein (or more if Tuna), and is HUGE as per group photo.

In the evening my 3rd meal is 230 cals, and is usually 2 quorn fillets either cooked with mushroom, leeks or made into a casserole with swede and celeriac, or a fat free curry.I also make a fat free chickpea ratatouille style dish and I mostly have green vegetables such as broccoli, spring greens, runner beans, fine beans, courgettes or cauliflower with my meal. When I have fish, it is either cod, tuna steak or sea bass and I would have a salad with that as the fish is a little higher than Quorn. Protein count for this meal is between 23 and 37g.

An hour or so later I have dessert 150 cals. This is always fresh blackberries, raspberries and strawberries (varying amounts of each) with around 130g Fat free yogurt (I have Skyr Vanilla, strawberry, honey or plain varieties). Another 13g+ of protein.

Finally late evening I will have a big hot drink with a myprotein hi fibre bar for 98 cals and another 4.5g protein.

I allow 52 cals for my vitamins & minerals and for some skimmed milk for tea/coffee.

This comes out at 726 , around 80g protein and 30g fibre. The routine helps. I don't have to think about the first two meals. I prep 6 portions of each of my evening meals ( one to eat fresh and five for the freezer) so less work - all the recipe info is input into MFP so I don't have to keep working it out. On friday nights the family have fish and chips or turkish and I have grilled sea bass (weighed) and salad, or falafel and salad. If I need to I can drop the fibre bar to give me an extra 98 cals for supper.

I know it sounds really mechanical, but my plates are filled with colourful food, it's all tasty and there's plenty of it. Now that I'm around target weight, I can tweak it a little 1 or 2 days a week ( a few new potatoes, a special meal, a few nuts, a couple of crackers with a little cheese, a small banana). I try to make the extras good food rather than junk. I love pickled food (gherkins, sandwich type pickle spread, anything vinegary actually), and can now add that on some days which makes me happy. That was a long message!!
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    nvielufm wrote: »
    Y'all, my name is Nicole :smiley:

Sharon! 726 calories! What?! Tell me more! (please lol)

I meant to add that I use a lot of garlic, I buy it pre-crushed/frozen and things like mushroom salt and sriracha powder from Costco. It spices everything up! Also I forgot to mention my little secret. We have in the UK a pre-made jelly called Hartleys 10 cal. Its vegetarian and various flavour are 3 -7 calories a pot. A pot here and there tides me over and as it's basically water, it's surprisingly filling. For a savoury mug, a teaspoon of Marigold Bouillon at 12 cals does the trick. I only use 1 cal spray oil. I know that healthier oils and fats in moderation are good for you, but a higher fat diet doesn't really suit me either weight loss or digestive wise.

I don't necessarily advocate that anyone should follow my personal plan. It's a very low calorie count and wouldn't normally be recommended without supervision. I happen to be fairly knowledgeable and eat very well, plus I take supplements to cover all bases. I originally began with 500 cals a day and built up to 726. At the lower level I had to be very, very creative, but I still ate well. I wouldn't be prepared to rubber stamp that for anyone else. Most people can lose weight with 1000 or 1250, I just didn't and what I have done worked for me. I am now the same weight I was in 1985 aged 23 and can run up and down the stairs, jump on and off a moving boat ( my husband & I now have a canal boat), and enjoy a boogie. I don't do any organised exercise as I've never really enjoyed it apart from Badminton. Again, I know that exercise is really good for you, I just don't do it apart from being on the boat. I'll shut up now!
  • Jem594
    Options
    I'm afraid to get weighed this weekend, even though I've been under my calories since I started this plan. I lost 2 lbs at first, then I gained them back. I just hope I can lose again. I'm on a very high calorie goal because of my weight and lack of movement. I've set it to lose 1lb a week. If I don't lose this week I might set it to losing 1.5 lbs a week/lower calorie goal. What do you think? Just jumping ahead so I have a plan and don't panic.
  • Jem594
    Options
    cjl83epnkdob.png
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    I'm afraid to get weighed this weekend, even though I've been under my calories since I started this plan. I lost 2 lbs at first, then I gained them back. I just hope I can lose again. I'm on a very high calorie goal because of my weight and lack of movement. I've set it to lose 1lb a week. If I don't lose this week I might set it to losing 1.5 lbs a week/lower calorie goal. What do you think? Just jumping ahead so I have a plan and don't panic.

Hoping you’ve faced the weigh in and that you were happy with the result. If you feel like sharing the basics of your plan, I’d love to hear about it.

• jaded989
    jaded989 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Rachelle here, thanks for the invite. I'm 64 and have been married twice, guess I'm technically a widow now although we'd been separated since 2001,we had little to no contact over the years ( I never got around to divorcing due to finances, minor children complications & a major health crisis) I found out in 2019 he passed 2 years prior. Anyway I have 4 children ranging in age from 45-24. The two youngest (28 & 24) still live with me.
    I have about 90 lbs to lose, have a couple health issues and I'm not especially active. I have struggled with weight all my life. Although I believe perspective has changed over the years. Looking back at my weight in high school, I was definitely chubby, but I believe it would be a more acceptable weight today. People used to be thinner (no judgement btw).
    I lost a little weight in high school maybe 10-15 lbs and got married the following spring. I had by first child about 15 months later and gained too much weight. I found myself at 190lbs a month or so after giving birth. Within a year (I really don't remember the exact time frame) I was down to 123, the lowest I have ever weighed in my adult life. I really didn't look good, my bones stuck out everywhere. I went up to around 130 and stabilized there until I got pregnant again about 3 years later. Found myself at 195 after that pregnancy. Got back down to about 135 and stayed there for about 5 years, rinse and repeat a couple times, always getting back to the 135 range.
    In the mid 2000's I had an ovarian cyst which caused kidney issues which led to a stroke. (I have some residual paralysis) While rehabbing from the stroke I was hit by a car while crossing a street. Luckily only a badly broken leg (tib, fib) and broken teeth. Well it's all been downhill from there, highest I've gotten is 245 lbs and lowest 180lbs.
    I don't really go out, haven't really since the stroke, not because of it though. Started working from home when covid came along and haven't returned yet, I don't really plan to. I was concerned about weight gain from staying home and finally stepped on the scale to see how bad it was. I was actually relieved it was only 220 as that meant I had only gained about 8-9lbs since we went under lock down.
    I think I've gotten a little long winded here, so I'll leave it at this for now.
    Good Luck to all on our journeys.
  • Jem594
    Options

Hoping you’ve faced the weigh in and that you were happy with the result. If you feel like sharing the basics of your plan, I’d love to hear about it.

I faced it and lost 3lbs!! whew. My plan is super simple right now...be under for calories and cut down on the snacks. :smiley:
  • Sharon7986
    Options

I faced it and lost 3lbs!! whew. My plan is super simple right now...be under for calories and cut down on the snacks. :smiley:

That’s brilliant! I’m so pleased for you. As I’ve mentioned with the others, I hope to catch up with everyone in the next 48 hours. The time difference/ Mondays at work are the busiest & a lot going on, means there will be a delay. Keep up the good work