half our weight?

Options
BCLadybug888
BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,307 Member
hello, are you nearing 60 and want to lose 1/2 your weight? I am actually 61 but close enough :p

I am recent to MFP but nowhere near my first rodeo when it comes to trying to manage my weight...really hoping this will be it - that I will finally have the wisdom to stick it out and make it to a decent goal and then conquer the ever elusive maintenance!

As I have such a long way {weigh!} to go, need all the help for the long journey ahead and will gladly help pick you up too.

Is there anybody out there? {Pink Floyd fan here!}

Replies

• WTGNicole
    WTGNicole Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladybug! I need to lose half my weight too...it's gonna be a journey for sure hahaa! Have you heard of "Eat Like a Bear"/ELAB/Amanda Rose? It's worth a google! LOTS of people our age have shed a lot of weight. Their stories give me hope!!
  • Jem594
    Jem594 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    hello, are you nearing 60 and want to lose 1/2 your weight? I am actually 61 but close enough :p

I am recent to MFP but nowhere near my first rodeo when it comes to trying to manage my weight...really hoping this will be it - that I will finally have the wisdom to stick it out and make it to a decent goal and then conquer the ever elusive maintenance!

As I have such a long way {weigh!} to go, need all the help for the long journey ahead and will gladly help pick you up too.

Is there anybody out there? {Pink Floyd fan here!}
    nvielufm wrote: »
    Hi Ladybug! I need to lose half my weight too...it's gonna be a journey for sure hahaa! Have you heard of "Eat Like a Bear"/ELAB/Amanda Rose? It's worth a google! LOTS of people our age have shed a lot of weight. Their stories give me hope!!

right there with u Ladies. keep going ♥
  • BCLadybug888
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, @nvielufm, I shall google ELAB!
    I will also join in on the main thread now that I found it 😆. See you there @Jem594!
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nicole. I just went to check out Eat Like A Bear. One of her tenets, Intermittent Fasting is one of the things I have recently become interested in. I am a voracious reader and up until around 2012 I felt I was familiar with all the basics about weight loss approaches, but this seems to be something that was not talked about back then but is apparently very popular now. My son (marathoner/physical therapist) told me about it working for him but I just could not imagine being able to do it. I had a client who was seeing a functional medicine doctor who recommended he not eat for a 12 hour window. I could not see myself doing it. Even my Spanish teacher, who had lived with a functional medicine doctor in Chile, encouraged me to try it, but I just thought--- no way--- I can´t hardly go four hours without eating. Then about metabolic inflexibility in articles like this one https://www.susandopart.com/2019/12/7-steps-to-increase-metabolic-flexibility-your-key-to-health-in-2020/ Those symptoms in that article fit me to a T-- better than any diagnosis I can think of.

This video inspired me to try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Dkt7zyImk She specifically talks about how well it works for menopausal women.

So now I am doing Time Restricted Eating. At this point my window for eating is 12 to 14 hours, so I can´t say I am really doing intermittant fasting. But I am working on going a little longer each day with the plan of trying to do 16/8 intermittent fasting every day.

If anyone else has tried it I would be very happy to have more discussions about Intermittent Fasting or Time Restricted Eating.
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    Hey @ideas2 , I have incorporated 'mild' intermittent fasting the last few weeks. I am doing it primarily to improve metabolic health - I honestly think the weight-loss benefit is mostly (if not solely) to do with a corresponding reduction in calories that often occurs naturally with a shorter feeding window.

I read an article that stated even a daily 12 hour fast is beneficial, 14/10 for women also good. It recommended delaying your first meal as the easiest way to go about it, which flies in the face of breakfast being the most important meal of the day 😋, but this has certainly made it easy for me to adopt and I am usually limiting eating to a 10 hour window. If you don't eat until 11am or noon for example, pretty easy to stop at 9 or 10pm, or even earlier! Mind you, I am not an early riser - if you are up at 5am, maybe delaying eating until 9am and cut off eating after 6pm?

The other type of intermittent fasting, fasting for full days, I may work up to later as I tame my hunger pangs and I do think that is directly beneficial for weight-loss.
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    I will check out the links & video you provided thank you for them!

Here is the link to the article I mentioned:
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322293

It reviews 7 Fasting options.
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article. I am currently reading ¨The Diabetes Code¨ by Dr. Jason Fung. Although I am only in the part where he explains metabolism and insulin related things, my understanding is that he promote the fasting for two days a type of fasting for diabetics. My A1C was right below the cutoff for diabetes, so I am very interested in what he has to say, and as mentioned in the article, that this form of fasting reduces insulin levels and insulin resistance.

The book is very in-depth on metabolic problems and insulin resistance. I think I am understanding it well enough, although now I am wondering if choosing to read the Spanish version was a good idea. Learning Spanish is my passion and I read the Spanish versions any chance I can get to keep working on the vocabularly, but this one has a lot of medical jargon in it.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    What has happened to our group?
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    Hi, I sent you a friend request. This group seems to have just died out. I posted on another thread in this group the other day but crickets lol.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @Ladybug8882021
    Yes I've received a few friend requests but I've not accepted any. I've read about some people's bad experiences and figure I just will talk with people on the threads. I'm down almost 75 lbs so far. I have also stayed within my calorie/Carb goals. I'm just staying gung ho with this. Some may think to fast. I'm averaging 10 lbs/month so far but expect it to slow down at any time to less. How are you doing?
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    Hello @swimmom_1 , yes, your losses are fast and steady so I can understand why some might find it almost concerning, but there is quite a bit of research now coming out that rapid weight-loss can be very motivating and that study participants did NOT have regain more so than those on a slower loss plan, to the contrary, they were MORE likely to have kept the weight off! Of course, the rapid Losers needed to have done it the "right" way (good nutrition, adequate protein, etc).

So, you do you! And your weight-loss is enviable and I applaud you as I have read several posts you've made and I gather you are eating properly + are quite active, my only caution is to not take on a lifestyle you can't see as a long term way to live.

My weightloss is slower but I am happy enough that I hope I can sustain this journey for the long haul as I am very reticent to be ambitious in what I do, as I have yoyo'd in the past when I could not keep up whatever regime I had put myself on!

I have lost 21 lbs in 2.5 months.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @Ladybug8882021
    You are exactly right about the motivating factor. I can walk right past candy, cookies and cake at work. They are usually generic items and I figure they aren't worth it and not the best tasting. I have had 3 pieces of cake (work birthdays) since I started my WOE but they were exceptionally good (and not generic but gourmet type) and savored every bite and didn't gain.

Your loss is also well!
  • pdd1216
    pdd1216 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi Swimmom and Ladybug!...I'm new to finding the group invite but it doesn't sound like it's very active. I've been doing this since June and have lost about 23 pounds....low and slow but hopefully this is the last time!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @Ladybug8882021
    I hope your enjoying your trip!