I gained 936 extra calories

Options
lisaj5227
lisaj5227 Posts: 13 Member
I don’t see how this is possible I only walked 7705 steps of course I’m 100 lbs overweight, does it sound reasonable?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sedentary generally ends about 3-4K steps, depending on distance of course since calories is actually from that, so anything over starts adding on.

The 100 overweight isn't the full story, energy expended is for total weight.

Someone healthy weight 220 lbs and someone 100 over at 220 lbs are basically going to burn the same amount for same distance.
    The overweight has a lower BMR calorie burn aspect to the time, but that's not much.

That's not a huge ton of steps at least - so even if your stride length setting is a tad off and your distance is inflated causing calorie burn to be inflated - it's not by much.

Now - you start hitting 15K steps - now that will matter.

Were there any workouts to the day?

Or review - any workouts auto-created from your daily walking because your HR went up high enough?
    Well, HR-based calorie burn is going to be inflated at that low end.
    But if no workouts, then that doesn't sound unreasonable.

What kind of distance is report for those steps - since that's what matters.
  • patriciafoley1
    patriciafoley1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was given 917 calories "extra" for 14,407 steps (so far) today. So yeah, it does seem like odd that I have less extra calories extra for twice the steps, but I don't really know how accurate fitbit is with its calorie estimation and awarding of extra calories. I'm around 176, 5' 4". about 40 lbs overweight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fitbit doesn't award extra calories.

MFP estimated your daily burn with NO exercise and your selection of activity level (Sedentary?).

Fitbit reports to MFP what it sees your daily burn as and a time stamp.

MFP creates the adjustment from that to make itself match what is probably a better estimate of daily burn than you guessing from 4 levels. Fitbit has over a 1000 levels if you think about it.

It's not the steps either - that's just a figure used to see how active you may be.
    Distance is what matters, for daily life distance and time and mass moved is very accurate calorie burn.

But in general, 14K steps is into the Very Active level on MFP and likely beyond, unless those were just grocery store shuffle steps.
    So that adjustment doesn't sound unreasonable if you selected Sedentary on MFP and it's needing to correct it way up to meet the daily burn.

Forget the extra calories and steps - what did Fitbit say you burned in total, and what distance did you go today?
    And any workouts tracked on Fitbit?