Wait... what??

Options
nelinelineli
nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
So I've done my weekly measurements and I seem to have *gained* 1 cm everywhere. I can shrug off the waist and blame my big dinner but the hips and thighs?... Now that's a shocker.
I am losing weight at the rate predicted, I'm doing my workout and I'm right on track on my calories. I expected to see what I see every week - a 1 cm loss.

Other than being bad at taking my measurements, any other reasons why these numbers would go up and not down?

Replies

• LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    are you developing muscle? maybe you just measured a bit off?
  • nelinelineli
    Options
    I'm still developing those beginner muscles from 30DS (haven't been working out in about 5 years so I'm starting from scratch). I guess that would be possible, but I'm afraid I'm lying to myself here since losing weight and gaining inches would indicate gaining body fat, not muscle in principle...
    I guess the only plausible explanation is that I've been a bit to eager last time I measured and pulled a bit too tight:) Oh well...
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have a few thoughts on this.

One: Muscle grows beneath the fat first then it starts to kind of eat it. It's why we gain first.

Two: And, I've seen a lot of people do this... :( just because we work out doesn't mean we can eat more! We need that deficiency to lose. I'm not picking in you, but I've heard so many people say "well I worked out so I can eat this or that now.." Bad idea.

Three: you measured too soon. Give it least a week or two between measures. You should lose on the thighs first from what I've heard and from experience.

And then you may of just pulled too tight the first time around... that happens too I'm sure, or maybe it wasn't in the same spot or the same arm or what not. Either way don't be discouraged...we are all going through this. Keep it up. It will change!
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    I have a few thoughts on this.

One: Muscle grows beneath the fat first then it starts to kind of eat it. It's why we gain first.

Two: And, I've seen a lot of people do this... :( just because we work out doesn't mean we can eat more! We need that deficiency to lose. I'm not picking in you, but I've heard so many people say "well I worked out so I can eat this or that now.." Bad idea.

Three: you measured too soon. Give it least a week or two between measures. You should lose on the thighs first from what I've heard and from experience.

And then you may of just pulled too tight the first time around... that happens too I'm sure, or maybe it wasn't in the same spot or the same arm or what not. Either way don't be discouraged...we are all going through this. Keep it up. It will change!

GREAT POINTS

also measuring at a different time of day will change it. i always measure 1st thing in a morning after a really big wee and before breakfast. hahaha if you measure after working out you tend to measure water retention with it too because your body swells
  • nelinelineli
    Options

I'm glad to see someone say that because it surely looks so - arms and calves have become significantly bigger (in my eyes at least) - I think it also has to do with the water retention in the muscles.

I know exactly what you mean. It happens to many, and although I think I'm pretty objective about the numbers I'm starting to think I'm beginning to care way too much, so I'll keep an extra eye on that.

I'm pretty sure that's where I went wrong... I have very flabby thighs and behind so it's very easy to "get" any number I want if i pull hard enough. I guess "expecting" to see that 1 cm loss every week might have made me pull the tape measure to the right spot - a bit tighter every week - until I couldn't fight reality anymore...

BUT... Day after tomorrow is the After-30DS picture day. That should help settle the issue :)
  • nelinelineli
    Options
    hahaha if you measure after working out you tend to measure water retention with it too because your body swells

Very right on this one too. I actually tested the first week - measured myself in the morning and after workout twice. Results vary wildly!
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Well hell, I always measure after a workout when I take my measurements! LOL. No wonder I didn't lose quite as many inches as I felt I have. I really think level two is going to make a huge difference. It's hard, but doable... I can't wait till I feel more confident in the moves though.