always hurting

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I did a lot of walking this weekend and two days later I'm still paying for it my lower back specifically and around my hips. I couldnt even lift a basket of laundry yesterday without getting lower abdominal cramps. My knees feel like rubber and all of my joints hurt. I know that part of this is related to the relaxin our bodies make for pregnancy, but how do you all continue to exercise when everything hurts? 21 weeks today

Replies

• kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I think the key is not to do too much at once. I used to do 30 mins of Zumba, now that's down to 15mins. I used to swim 50 lengths, now I'm down to 30ish. I used to walk 90mins at a time, now I'm doing 35-45mins. Any injury you get during pregnancy can take an awful long time to heal, so best to avoid doing too much in the first place. You're only trying to maintain your fitness level afterall. I'd rest up until you're fully recovered before continuing to exercise.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    A support belt helped me a lot during my last pregnancy. I'm planning to get another one for this pregnancy, since the hip/pelvic pain is starting a lot sooner.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If I do not do 20 minutes of stretching at least once per day (preferably twice) I have all of the symptoms you are describing. I also have a back injury, so I know that factors in. I missed a few stretching sessions in the evening and was barely able to do the elliptical the next morning due to hip and ligament pain. I am a bit slower working out now at 33 weeks, but the yoga and gentle stretching make it doable.

There are some good videos on Youtube and Hulu for pregnancy if you are interested. I specifically recommend the 17 minute Gaiam workout on Hulu for low back and hip pan. It literally has every pose that is best and is not too long. You can also google hip openers and prenatal yoga poses. You can find which ones may help ease your symptoms and stick with those. I hope you start feeling better!!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm having similar issues.....except mine is stemming from SPD (basically, my pelvis feels like it is breaking in two). I am having a horrible time just walking so I totally understand everything hurting. The only thing that I seem to be able to do without a ton of pain, is swimming/water aerobics. In fact, I really like just running/walking in the water. Seems to help a lot.....I highly recommend it!
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just overdid it this weekend. Rest up and you should feel better soon. As for your back, I suspect that you are doing the same thing I was. I had been over-arching my lower back (letting my belly stick out and pushing my butt out to compensate for the weight out front) which was putting a major strain on my lower back and hips. My back pain got so bad that I wound up in physical therapy. My physical therapist recommended focusing on tucking my tailbone and making sure my shoulders, rib cage and hips were in a straight line.
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    I discovered around week 17 that I HAD to have a support belt if I was going to be on my feet for more than a few hours. I cannot exercise at all without it. Everyone once in awhile i start to feel similar pain to what you are describing and it is usually attributed to over-doing it and/or wearing the support belt incorrectly. Don't be afraid to just put your feet up and relax when you feel like that. You will bounce back pretty quick.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    great advice thank you all...going to look into the yoga