Integrating Weight Training with Martial Arts Training

Options
Thanks to moving into a house that has access to a HOA gym, I've recently started back to lifting to augment my MA training.

I know since COVID started, though I have been practicing forms and basics, I have really let my conditioning go - partly due to no gym access for weight training (and fear of exposure training with random people when the gyms opened back up) - and partly because ... no sparring.

I'm taking this opportunity to renew my focus on physical conditioning. I'm currently doing a full body workout 3x/week in addition to my MA practices. I'm limited to the machines in the HOA gym and B/W exercises only, but at least it's pretty easy to find time when nobody else is training side by side. My current routine (for the next 6 weeks):

Leg press
Lat pulldown
Leg extension
Leg curl
Bent over row
Bicep curl
Weighted calf raise

All are performed for 3 sets of 10, working on slowly ramping up the weight.

In addition, I'm doing bodyweight (pushups, situps, air squats, jump squats, lunges, etc) 2x/week as part of my MA training - this is not nearly so systematic, as it varies from day to day.

Any suggestions for improvement in this routine?

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Training is going well. Starting to notice some improvment in quality movement when kicking, as well as a significant reduction on effort required, translating to an improvement in stamina.

Muscle soreness is VERY different than MA training. It seems to come and go in spurts and is more localized to specific muscles/parts of muscles rather than the overall muscle ache that I get from conditioning in MA.

I'm adding in bench press to my routine now too.

The journey continues.

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Our dojo is going on holiday on the 18th. I am going to have to start more home training with strength and flexibility
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Our dojo is going on holiday on the 18th. I am going to have to start more home training with strength and flexibility

Definitely a good idea. I'm only training in the dojang 1x/week right now, not enough to so training at home is essential otherwise I can't even maintain fitness or advance my technique.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    We have closed early because of the rise in covid cases. So I am going to have to move up my solo training. My friend's son also started recently, so perhaps I can drag him off for some extra lessons 🤣
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Update:

Weight training is going pretty well - I'm definitely getting stronger (well, lifting more weight, anyway) - I'm starting to notice a little change in kick power against the heavy bag as well.

Not bad for first month - I'm hoping this continues to scale!
  • Versicolour
    Options
    I have been terrible. All the Christmas planning and co-parenting arrangements have put all my training on the back burner 😭
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I have been terrible. All the Christmas planning and co-parenting arrangements have put all my training on the back burner 😭

You haven't been terrible - you've been focused on other things!

Just remember that you need to take care of yourself, too!