Negative ANA but lupus diagnosis?

Options
CharisSunny
CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
Just wondering if anyone along their road to diagnosis experienced one or more negative ANA test results. My rheumatologist believes I have lupus (among other things) but the ANA has been consistently within normal.

Many thanks.
Char

Replies

• sewmom73
    sewmom73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't be much help here, I know I'm positive ANA along with the symptoms for Lupus. I had other positive markers in my blood test too, I don't remember 100% what they were, Anti DNA, and something with RO??? I've had my diagnosis since 2005. I just know living with Lupus sucks, but at least we are Living! Best of luck to you (sorry I don't have any info for you) Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
    Sharise:smile:
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Hey thanks for responding!
    I have several panels that are out of norm but I don't remember them all off hand. The most concerning currently is my INR value but a couple others that were as much as 6x the norm.

I'm just not sure why I have the majority of lupus symptoms but the ANA is seemingly always withing norm.
  • MultiGoddess
    MultiGoddess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have only had two borderline ANA's ever. There is something called seurm-negative lupus. I have this. There are several people that I know that have this. I was even told by a researcher at a clinical study that your ANA can change from day to day. Lupus is better diagnosed by symptomology rather than solely based on the ANA.
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had a negative ANA for years, though I had several lupus symptoms. I didn't get a strong positive until after I had my first child.
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Thanks for response and congrats on successfully carrying your baby/babies. Was told I'd have a difficult time with pregnancy myself.

My ANA values have steadily been normal while other clotting values have been off the charts. I just don't want any loose ends that could indicate yet another misdiagnosis.
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been reading, I believe in Chris Kessler's blog, that people can test negative for autoantibodies and yet have an AI disease when their immune system is worn out and not producing antibodies generally. Who knows.
  • eloelochat
    eloelochat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My ANA are up and down, so sometimes I'm negative. My doc tests me every 6mo. She said that the skin-only lupus is often ANA negative. And my rheumatologist requested a skin (face) biopsy that confirmed my lupus.
    Doc also said that sometimes ANA are fluctuating when the disease is not fully settled in, although I was diagnosed 6 years ago.
    Who knows, weird disease, uh?!
  • nevercanstayput
    nevercanstayput Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My ANA fluctuates often. Negative, positive, back to negative. Skin biopsy confirmed Lupus and many other symptoms confirmed it in 2018. Took years for docs to figure it out
  • DorisJohnsonShaw
    DorisJohnsonShaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have very weird symptoms, but am ANA positive. One test is 3x what it should be, others also high or positive, but no butterfly rash which makes the doc think it isn't Lupus. I am hoping to know more 3/1.