MaggieGirl135’s Challenges

Options

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Today being Sunday, I didn't do my usual workout (I would be too rushed to get to church on time). But! The flower bulbs that I ordered came in the mail yesterday, so I was able to plant them today. It took a couple hours and it was very pleasant and enjoyable. The weather was great (not too hot to sweat at all and yet not too cool to wear a sweatshirt). And even better, the dirt was so easy to work in. In the Midwest (where I lived most of my adult life), the dirt had a very high clay content. Of course, when I first worked this one garden of mine several years ago, to dig maybe a foot down to loosen the dirt, I found a whole bunch of rocks, some pretty darn big. I was sweating like a pig when I did that work (over a period of days). The joke is, they call these the Rocky Mountains for a reason! The bulbs are deer resistant, which means the deer give a moment to consider them prior to eating! This past spring, my crocus flowers were eaten the moment they bloomed. Eternal hope! I planted 5-6 different kinds, different heights, different bloom times...all purple (one flower mix had purple and white). Why, yes, my favorite color is purple! This is the only garden on my property and I will not be adding to it (let's not pretend, it is fairly futile with the deer). When younger, at one house that we lived, I had nine different gardens (unreal). It is a terraced garden (with rocks, of course!), on either side of four, flat rock steps going up to the deck wood steps.

Btw, I feel back on track, looking every day and starting to lose again.

On one of the threads in this group (I couldn't find which one), I read one of you (I think it was you, Becca) noting how surprised you were by how low your sugar would drop during the night. That was a real problem for my mom for awhile. Her fix was eating something, with a certain mix of macros (carb amount most important) at a certain time in the evening. Then, her sugar wouldn't drop precariously when she slept. Diabetes, I think, needs frequent tweaking to stay on the correct course.

Have a great week, everyone!

• MorticiaAddamsMSFS
    MorticiaAddamsMSFS Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The deer ate almost all of my hostas this year and I am still mad about it. Next year they will be protected. I also love purple and am focusing on it in my living room.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The yellow jackets never bothered me before, but of course, I never disturbed a nest before. I used to walk among the stinging insects with little to no fear. Well, that has rapidly changed! 😆
  • MorticiaAddamsMSFS
    Options
    Yellow jackets are different than many wasps. They are very aggressive.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Delayed reaction to the stings.... It happened last Thursday or Friday. Today, it's a localized reaction. Worst itching ever. Thankful for benedryl and "after bite.". Recommend after bite as the cortisone didn't stop the itching at all.
  • MorticiaAddamsMSFS
    Options
    We love Afterbite too. It works.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    How are you doing, Maggie?

I am ok here--just trying to scale back my carbs again as I've had pie! 😆
  • MaggieGirl135
    Options
    Yesterday, I finally finished taking all of the videos needed to put on a storage device, to place in a safety deposit box (showing my house, contents, etc, for insurance in case a wildfire consumes our house, a possibility here). While doing it, I was thinking that I have to tell this mfp group and then I saw your messages, Becca, when I went on my computer to save the videos. What a time-consuming job that I dragged out to make it even longer! Now I have to put them on the external hard drive. This is competing with holiday tasks, of course. During the summer, my excuse was camping and such, ha ha.

Ok, so I lost the weight I needed to lose (high 140's to mid-130's, put it back on (far more quickly than it was lost) and I am just now, starting to drop a little. I struggle with actually logging, even though it isn't that time-consuming or hard; I just don't want to bother. Just the other day, I was complaining to my husband that I never had to be attentive to my weight when younger and why can't I be that way now? Then reality came crashing back; we both will have to be attentive to our weight from here on out. I literally think now, what would a normal person eat/how much, etc? The funny thing is that I am a counselor an I know that this thinking isn't helping, lol. I am yet again, back to intuitive eating and consciously eating less; this is they way I wish to live, so I need to figure it out. I really have a pretty good diet and I exercise most days; I just eat simply too much for my height. I don't eat that much, though; on days I'm not working to lose weight, I eat maybe 1500 typically and 1800 on a higher day. I don't binge ever. I am currently right at 25 BMI. I want to lose 10 lbs for vanity and then I may need to lose 10 more pounds for helping my borderline high cholesterol to drop a bit.

I have had several parties at my house just recently, for some church folks, neighbors on this (short) street, book club--my house is so clean right now, I love it! My house truly never needs to be picked up (it is just my husband and me), but we have our son's dog, a German Shepherd. This is a breed that really sheds, so we live with dog hair. (My son is in the military and is overseas). This is our 4th German Shepherd over the years; before, we never thought about the shedding much, it was just something that had to be dealt with. We were without pets for about 10 years and then we got this wonderful dog (he is such a sweetie). The difference from no pet hair to now is not a positive, but we love this dog and my son will have to fight me to get him back!

I decorated my house for Christmas a week ago (no tree, a kid will have to churn out a grandchild before we put in that much effort). None on the horizon, so easy decorating.

That's about it for me; I hope all you ladies and doing well and achieving your goals. The new year is coming up. I'm not into resolutions, per se, but have, 2-3 times a year, starting in 7th grade, wrote out goals. Back in my engineering days (first career), it was always thought, if you don't track it, it will probably never be achieved. A business concept not exclusive to engineering, of course. When this was first a 'thing' in the 1980's, we had to have one goal that we tracked/charted and hang it on our cubicle walls (with a frame, why?), for all to see our progress (and make us work on it all the harder, presumably). We all used those cardboard 'frames' for transparencies (clear, plastic, set on overhead projectors). I guess using those cardboard frames to frame our charts was as wild a protest that engineers could drum up. I do know that I am showing my age. Some funny memories...

• beccaboo1276414
    Options
    I enjoy hearing about your former career. It must be the engineer brain that got all the photo taking etc for your house done. Good for you!

Yo yoing happens. We will both get back on track. At least you're at a good weight to begin with. You can do it.

I do well not eating junk during all holidays but Xmas. I am allowing myself to have certain things without over doing it. What doesn't get eaten in a few days gets thrown in the trash. It will still be hard for me to get to lower carb again, but I will do it!

So happy you dropped by to say hi. We are behind you all the way! Cheers!
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    By the way, that 1980s thing sounds horrid. In the 2000s, the bosses would post our stats with our names until we complained. Then they just posted the numbers with no name. My coworkers gave me the stink eye thinking I was the top worker. No, I was not. They'd give me all the hard files and the attorney supervising my work said I got 2/3rd more files than anyone else. Blah.

Thankfully I no longer work there.

When I left, they started dumping files on some of the ones who gave me the stink eye. We kept in touch. I told them what the bosses did, and I was furiously working to keep my head afloat.

They couldn't believe it until they experienced it themselves!
  • MorticiaAddamsMSFS
    Options
    I have never understood how employers allow some workers to be buried while other are not pulling their weight. When I was supervisor/head nurse that did not happen.
  • MaggieGirl135
    Options
    Happy New Year to all! I think we're down to only a few ladies these days, but we will soldier on!

Weight-wise...still on the high side of my usual weight range. I would like to drop a few in the next weeks prior to a cruise in the Caribbean. I continue to exercise pretty much every day and although I don't look forward to it, I do enjoy it while I'm doing it. I'm still doing intuitive eating, which is great for me to maintain; unfortunately, I would like to drop 10 lbs. I am thinking that I will track when I get back (insert sad face here). We do have a number of shore excursions that will include exercise (walking, biking, kayaking). I might use the ship's gym when we have 'at sea' days (there are 3) and I may laugh when I get there, having thought this!

Just today, I loaded up my external hard drive with the files on my computer, including the videos of our house and possessions (for insurance purposes if our house is consumed in a CO Rockies wildfire). Next week, my husband and I will go 'down the hill' and obtain a bank safe deposit box to drop this and some papers in. That will conclude my very-long-drawn-out wildfire project.

I'm not really one for resolutions, more of a goal-setting girl throughout the year. However, since my big project is just ending, maybe my goals will turn out to be resolutions by default, timing-wise. I will have to give them some thought. I plan to start them upon my return from the cruise, however.

I wish the best for you and your families in the coming year!
  • MorticiaAddamsMSFS
    Options
    Sounds like you have some nice plans ahead.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Enjoy your cruise! Wonderful news about completing your task.

Glad you stopped by to update us!

My goals are pretty much the same--lower carb eating and tracking my bg. I will start to exercise again when this big (flu?) leaves my system.
  • MaggieGirl135
    Options
    My husband and I went to the bank today and opened a savings account and got a safe deposit box. We dropped in the external hard drive and a few papers. Our regular bank does not have brick and mortar locations, so now we can go into a bank and use a notary and get quarters. We needed quarters more when we lived a nomadic life (camping at state parks in the SE US in our teardrop trailer for a half year a few years ago—primarily for use at laundromats.
  • MorticiaAddamsMSFS
    Options
    I hate using laundromats. I am so glad to have washer and dryer. The camping sounded great though.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    So your task is finally complete! Congrats!
  • MaggieGirl135
    Options
    Hello, ladies, I hope you all are well. I have been reading your posts; it sounds like you are.

If you may recall, I went on a Caribbean cruise, starting at the end of Jan; we went to Key West and seven different countries/islands. Totally enjoyable! My husband and I got the proverbial cruise COVID (first time for both of us) at the very end. We thought it was just a cold, but tested positive when we got home. For us, it has been like a long-lasting cold, with every cold symptom possible. We are supporting the OTC cold medicine companies just by ourselves. We feel muuuch better.

I dropped a few pounds prior to the cruise, but gained them back, even with our excursions of biking, kayaking, and whatnot. Some excursions were less physically exerting, though. COVID only suppressed my appetite for 4-5 days (why only 4-5!?!). I was not trying to diet upon return from home until just a few days ago and have dropped a couple pounds already. I don’t like calorie counting, but it is the only for-sure way for me to drop weight, so I am just buckling down with it. It hasn’t been awful (so far).

I planned on giving my goals for the year some thought following the cruise and this is what I came up with:

FOOD:
    -Eat slower
    -Drop to 135 lbs using mfp. I got to 136 lbs last year and am just really displeased that I popped back up, now at 148 lbs. I am more than feeling that this is possible. I plan to keep at it until done (as opposed to one pound away!). At a pound a week, this is 3 months, end of May.

EXERCISE:
    -Continue with same, as often as possible, typically six days/wk:
    25 min elliptical on fat burning program (incline with resistance)
    ~30 min of yoga/stretching/PT exercises
    ~30 min strength training, alternating upper and lower body on different days

GENERAL:
    -Comb hair more gently - I’m like a child, running the comb way too fast through my hair, as though I couldn’t wait to go out to play!
    -Go through five old emails/day - I send many emails to myself when doing other things, so I don’t forget a thought. I do it to myself!!! Maybe I should just stop sending them.
    -Go through one paperwork thing a day - Some things are just being stored (that’s ok, but file them somewhere, out of sight), some are in a holding pattern, waiting for something else to occur (then place on my desk upstairs and get them out of my sight!), and some are to-do things. The stack is ~2.5" deep.
    -Brush my dog’s teeth every day - I used to do this, but got out of the practice. He puts up with it, but neither one of us enjoys it, lol. He gets a treat, though, afterwards; I just am able to check it off of my list.

Thought/input on my goals? I am open to ideas.
  • MorticiaAddamsMSFS
    Options
    The cruise sounded awesome other than the Covid. My friend went on one with her husband and they got Covid at the end of the trip and he died from it. He was very young. Your goals sound great.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    I like your goals, Maggie! It appears that you healed okay from Covid too.

You will do it!