This April I Will....

Replies

• snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,511 Member
    I have been absent for a bit but did enjoy reading the posts there are several that make mention of things that I am. It’s been a long winter but since spring is teasing us I know it’s not far away.

I have continued with my habits and and pretty successful with the no evening snack 4/7 nights is much easier to sustain. I am working on my flex and strength work currently they always seem to be neglected.
  • makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    Thank you @MadisonMolly2017 💗 Your encouragement means a lot to me!
    I'm looking forward to dedicating time to rearranging my environment. It's a project that is overdue for attention!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    Hello! My name is Randy.

This month I am going to be accountable to myself. I have to maintain an honest discussion with myself about what I am eating. Just because I forget to track it does not mean I did not eat it. I will stop eating in shame.

This may be THE essential
    Skill for success in dieting/healthy eating/maintenance/habits/exercise/etc.

Many folks will keep a promise to a friend but not to themselves.

I learned to only create promises to myself that I was willing to really do whole-heartedly. Soon, it becomes a part of who you are.

The reason I track all I eat is it allows me to know exactly what I can eat - on average- and not gain. The data is very valuable but only if it’s accurate!

I completely agree! Logging accurately is essential, I think, to losing weight and often for keeping it off. I’m in maintenance so I don’t always track my food. But when the scale starts trending upwards and gets out of my maintenance range, I track my food accurately until I’m back in range. I’ve promised myself I will never be 50 pounds overweight again and since it’s easier to lose 2 pounds than 20, this system has worked out very well for me.

Welcome to our group, @randypandy5001! We are glad you’re here.

And I’m delighted to read that our environmental focus is appealing to so many of you! I’ve made so many small changes over the years that I’m struggling a bit to find something else I can change this month. In the meantime, I’m focusing on walking more on my treadmill. I’ve been walking less since I’ve immersed myself in the super fun world of VR fitness. And it’s giving me such a great aerobic workout. But I’ve missed walking on my treadmill while reading on my iPad. I wish I could walk more outdoors, but right now the ticks are out of control. I’ve lived in the woods for 30 years in an region brimming with deer ticks and Lyme disease and I’ve successfully avoided Lyme disease so far. That’s a streak I intend to keep!

And welcome, @makattack220! As you no doubt have seen, we are big fans of James Clear and Atomic Habits is a great read for anyone who wants to understand habits better. I would also recommend Charles Dunning‘s Book, The Power of Habit. I couldn’t put it down.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,721 Member
    Hi all! Welcome @makattack220 - I love your plan! My week has gone really well, but that’s the way I go - first week of the month is great 🏆 and then I fizzle. ☹️

So tryin to maintain the energy this month:

I’m a dancer/ caller - I’ve been working on my calling skills every day
    I’m an intermittent faster - every day but one this week
    I’m a person who eats low carb - I’ve stayed under (or within a gram or two of) my daily goal

I decided to give up my paper tracker as I’m struggling to keep it up and find it a source of clutter. I’m really thankful I did the tracking these 2 years, and I’m missing it.

Does anyone have an online habit tracker they can recommend?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    April! 🌷🌻🥀
    1. Beginning today, April 4, while my morning tea or coffee is brewing, I will do 10 sets with dumbbells of an arm exercise.

When that feels easy, I’ll do 2 sets, etc.

2. I will also continue my designated serving sizes of a 34g serving of healthy peanut butter & 14g servings of raw nuts.”
    April 4✅ 5✅ 6✅ 7✅ 8✅ 9✅ 10✅

This is what I’m really doing this month.
    April 4✅ 5✅ 6✅ 7✅ 8✅ 9✅ 10✅

3.I’m also setting boundaries on how busy/stressed I let myself get.
    7✅ 8✅ 9✅ 10✅

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    edited April 2022
    I have reminders on my phone to get up and walk or move every hour or so.

🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🐸BUILDING HEALTHY HABITS🐸
    🐸🐥🐰APRIL 2022🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    2022 WOTY: CONSOLIDATE
    🔹consolidate current habits
    🔹Explore Identity-based Habit setting
    🔹Solid Habits 11/30

Investigating positive Identity-based habits.

Who am I?
    I am a person who values the health and fitness of my body, mind, and spirit.

💡I hadn’t been keeping an eye on my macros very well recently, and discovered that my CI Fat %age had crept up quite a bit. It hasn’t impinge on my body fat %age yet, but I was beginning to suffer from my old reflux problem, so I need to address this.

This April I will ….
    …. work on keeping my CI Fat %age within 2% of my goal.

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
    🌷🌷🌷🌷

March Habit
    Allowing myself a few Pass days going forward. I will add this to my list of solid habits.
    I am a person who refrains from eating after 9pm 90% of the time to assist efficient overnight digestion of food

🦄 Terri

• snowshoe072
    Just a quick check in my habit work is coming along nicely. I am trying to adjust to early morning exercise so far it’s going ok my strength and flex work still need more attention but that’s ok.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,028 Member
    @77tes I am giving the iPhone app called Habit a try right now (🇨🇦). I hope it will work better to help me track my progress in my habits. I love the aesthetic of the paper tracker and pens/pencils, but they have never found a good home in my constant effort to declutter. The space I did use is now fully dedicated to my seedlings 🌱 (which do need to be out in the “light of day”). When the tracker and pens are “tucked away” (to satisfy the declutter habit), I forget to track. An element of environmental design really, and a good one to resolve in the April focus we have taken. 💡

So, I’ll be keeping on with the app for a bit and will let you know how it goes. I’m using it right now in my new morning exercise habit (stretching & yoga) along with @snowshoe072 and I hope we can encourage one another. 🧘‍♀️🙆‍♀️

My changes in environment to support change regarding water consumption and snack temptation are going well. Keeping at these until they are better established. ✅✅
  • snowshoe072
    @jamcnewman got my morning spin done some Tabata work. I am using the free app called Zones for all my workouts I find it helpful as it calculates cardio, warm up and fat burn.
  • TerriRichardson112
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰APRIL 2022🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🔹Solid Habits 11/30

Who am I?

💡I hadn’t been keeping an eye on my macros very well recently, and discovered that my CI Fat %age had crept up quite a bit. It hasn’t impinge on my body fat %age yet, but I was beginning to suffer from my old reflux problem, so I need to address this.

This April I will ….

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
    🌷🌷🌷🌷🤦‍♀️
    Lunch out with elder daughter and granddaughter today, so fat %age a little over.

March Habit
    Allowing myself a few Pass days going forward. I will add this to my list of solid habits.
    I am a person who refrains from eating after 9pm 90% of the time to assist efficient overnight digestion of food

🦄 Terri

• travelbug002
    travelbug002 Posts: 61 Member
    Hello. I just joined this group and am looking forward to developing new habits (and breaking some bad ones) to help me achieve my goals and become healthier. I have decided to focus on two new habits for the month of April. I will drink at least 4 cups of water a day--I am a diet soda addict and that tends to be my drink of choice rather than water--and I will eat something for breakfast every day as I often skip breakfast in my rush to get ready and leave in the mornings.
  • snowshoe072
    Welcome @travelbug002 nice goals to start with I don’t know how anyone can go without breakfast my hubby does the same and if I miss watch out especially coffee. I can now have a smoothie around 9:30 and a later lunch which helps get through the afternoon but breakfast is a must for me but no longer at 7 in the morning.
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited April 2022
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰APRIL 2022🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🔹Solid Habits 13/30

Who am I?

This April I will ….

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
    🌷🌷🌷🌷🤦‍♀️🌷🌷
    Tues 12: Lunch out with elder daughter and granddaughter, so fat %age a little over.

March Habit

🦄 Terri
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    April! 🌷🌻🥀
    1. Beginning today, April 4, while my morning tea or coffee is brewing, I will do 10 sets with dumbbells of an arm exercise.

When that feels easy, I’ll do 2 sets, etc.

April 4✅ 5✅ 6✅ 7✅ 8✅ 9✅ 10✅ 11✅ 12✅ 13✅ 14✅ 15✅

2. I will also continue my designated serving sizes of a 34g serving of healthy peanut butter & 14g servings of raw nuts.”
    April 4✅ 5✅ 6✅ 7✅ 8✅ 9✅ 10✅ 11✅ 12✅ 13✅ 14✅ 15✅

This is what I’m really doing this month.

3.I’m also setting boundaries on how busy/stressed I let myself get.
    7✅ 8✅ 9✅ 10✅ 11✅ 12✅ 13✅ 14✅ 15✅ Am sleeping much better & longer since 4/8
  • TerriRichardson112
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰APRIL 2022🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🔹Solid Habits
    🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉
    🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉
    🦉

Who am I?
    (Subject to tweaking *)
    This April I will ….

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
    🌷🌷🌷🌷🤦‍♀️🌷🌷
    🤦‍♀️
    * Pass Days (10% max to allow for celebrations/holidays)
    Tues 12: Lunch out with elder daughter and granddaughter, so fat %age a little over.
    Fri 15: Family picnic lunch and dinner. 🤔

March Habit

MFP is very glitchy for me at the moment. 🤦‍♀️ App crashes when I try to post photos
    🤦‍♀️ Having to delete/reinstall every time I want to use app.
    🤦‍♀️ iPad won’t load either app or website

Tech are ‘working on it’

🦄 Terri

• 77tes
    @jamcnewman and @makattack220 thanks for the suggestions about habit trackers. I’ll check those out. I’ve been fiddling with a tracker template for Google Sheets, but it isn’t going very well.

My habits are still on track, so I’m halfway through April in good form. Again I only missed my fasting goal once this week and stayed close to 100 carbs for all but 2 days. I’ve been doing well on my dancing/calling habit although I have missed a couple days this week.

Another great tweak to my environment is to wash up my veggies, so the fridge is stocked with fruit and veggies that are ready to eat or cook. In Tiny Habits he calls it a “super fridge.” I thinks it’s got its own hashtag.
  • 77tes
    @TerriRichardson112 , I’ve heard that MFP is particularly glitchy this week, sorry! That’s such a pain when you are trying to stay on track and the tracking app is not cooperating.
  • snowshoe072
    My habits are going well getting my exercise in earlier in the day that’s always helpful thanks to @jamcnewman for keeping me on task thanks buddy!
  • TerriRichardson112
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰APRIL 2022🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🔹Solid Habits
    🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉
    🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉
    🦉🦉

Who am I?
    (Subject to tweaking *)
    This April I will ….

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
    🌷🌷🌷🌷🤦‍♀️🌷🌷
    🤦‍♀️🌷
    * Pass Days
    (10% max to allow for celebrations/holidays)
    Fri 15: Family picnic lunch and dinner. 🤔
    March Habit

@77tes
    It’s probably a good thing in a way. It’s reduced my online time.
    🦄 Terri