5/19

Exercise: 134 minutes
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: under
    Pass days used: 1
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,713 Member
    Options
    Lots of interesting comments and insights about sleep. I've always been a poor sleeper, but at least now that I'm retired it doesn't matter too much.

We found a restaurant that has a really good buffet spread for dinner. It's an all-inclusive hotel that welcomes other diners.
    It was delicious and best of all, I could choose lots of veggies! A good salad bar and some cooked veg. However, it was very tempting to overeat!
    We did have a long bike ride and I got some swimming done in the pool.
    Pass day obviously ☺️
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Caroline_slowandsteady Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    May 19
    Pass day - I was not feeling well and didn't bother tracking. I think I was OK with calories, but no exercise, just napping.

Re: sleep, I was a terrible sleeper from childhood into early adulthood. What cured me was getting a dog at age 25. Having to get up every morning and go for a walk - once that happened the rest of it straightened itself out.

Since COVID, I have more often had trouble sleeping because there is more to worry about and because I don't leave the house as much.

Here are all the sleep hygiene things I do to try to get good sleep:
    - At least a 20 minute walk outside every day.
    - A long bedtime wind down time - it's at least an hour, sometimes 2, with the last thing being reading in bed, and it needs to be a pretty boring book or else it keeps me up.
    - Not getting more than an average of 7.5 hours a night (also not getting less). But if I start getting too much sleep then I start having trouble sleeping.
    - Never sleeping in more than an hour - I get up between 5:30 and 6:30 every morning.
    - If I have trouble falling asleep, I have a little rhyme thing that I do. It's a jump rope rhyme I learned as a kid. It goes "A my name is Alice and my husband's name is Abraham. We live in Albuquerque and we sell Abacuses." You think up the italicized words for every letter of the alphabet in order. It engages my mind just enough to fall asleep. I have a rule that if I make it all the way through the alphabet and I'm still awake then I will get up and have a snack and stay up for a while, but it's been years since I made it through the alphabet. When I was pregnant I had to add a rule which is the thing that they sell can't be food - if I thought about a food I either had to get up and throw up or get up and eat it immediately. I've kept that rule even though my reaction is not as extreme anymore, but thinking of a food is not as restful. Sometimes I cheat though and let them sell apple trees.

I would say in terms of health, sleep is my #1 priority. I find that lack of sleep or broken sleep triggers my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I pay for it for quite a while. It definitely leads to weight gain as well - either directly regardless of what I eat, or because I wind up having less resistance to nibbling snacks.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,533 Member
    Options
    So many neat ideas and rituals that we follow before bed time and it seems most get a pretty good nights rest enjoy your Friday
  • Maggie_MJ
    Maggie_MJ Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Wonderful topic @ashleycarole86. I also monitor and benefit from Fitbit sleep tracking and a weighted blanket @ideas_2. As my weight decreases, my quality of sleep definitely improves.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • SilverSage1
    SilverSage1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @enlightenme3 my sleep habits are similar to yours. I’m up till midnight or beyond, usually fall asleep quickly, mostly sleep about 7 hours, and wake up without an alarm. Other than occasionally getting up to pee, I pretty much sleep through the night. Don’t nap unless I’m sick.

This didn’t used to be the case. I used to wake up with indigestion several nights a week, and sometimes several times a night. I got through the night on all’s seltzer. I never made a conscious decision to work on my sleep habits, but once I started to eat better, the greasy and sugary foods no longer kept me up at night. Rather than working on sleep habits to improve my diet and exercise, the change in diet and exercise improves my sleep.

We went out to eat again (yes, we do that a lot), But I kept it within budget.

Still 3/3
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Options
    Oh my! So happy you asked about habits like sleep. This is really my biggest reason for not getting my exercise in. Needing a schedule!
    I don’t get enough sleep
    I will be rereading this thread. Thank you!!!

May 19
    Exercise: no
    Tracking yes
    Calories yes
    All pass days used

3/19 days this month - done successfully. Better than none!
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    pass day - not even gonna post it. Made homemade cheeseburgers in my new Cuisinart Stainless Steel Saute pan which brought out the excited little girl in me - I love new dishes and new cookware like I love new fabric :)

Needless to say, I made the hamburgers bigger than I normally do, but man I blew my calories big time. Definitely going to be adjusting homemade hamburgers soon! I think this is the first time I have actually counted the calories in my homemade hamburgers. It was an eye-opener!
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    One thing I forgot to mention last night is that we always put a fan on because it tends to drown out other sounds and provides a more consistent background noise. Plus I need the airflow. I notice the difference in hotels where I am constantly flipping covers on and off because I can't maintain a constant temperature. Also, we didn't realize we moved to a place near train tracks so the fan noise keeps my partner (who is a light sleeper) from hearing it.
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    Good question!
    I usually get 7 hours asleep-sometimes am hour more if I fall asleep on the couch. I read 15 minutes right before I go to bed-can be there best book in the world-when 15 are up, I stop.
    3 yeses
    4 pass days used for the month
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    ✅✅✅ 2️⃣ pass days left
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Came back today to read the rest of the comments and I so appreciate every one of them!
    Sounds like many of you have found your groove with a sleep pattern, while others are actively working on it.
    Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,838 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    5/20
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 👍🏻
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? 👍🏻
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? 👍🏻

(Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28

May goals
    1 Miracle Morning ~ S.A.V.E.R.S
    2 Wake up EARLY for meditation
    3 Yoga (5/6 times weekly)
    4. Minimum sweets (work them in my calorie goal)
    5. 30 day squat challenge 6. No late night snacking
    7. Daily journal logging
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole88

I highly recommend James Nestor´s book ¨Breath¨. Here is a video where at around 16:15 he talks about sleep tape and demonstrates how small a piece is necessary.
    I think my CPAP makes it less likely that I mouthbreath, but the tape still seems to help. The book is where I learned about various breathing improvement techniques, including introducing me to the buteyko method. There is a lot of really startling information about our breathing habits and how they are deteriorating through the generations since the age of industrialization and the beginning of things like having milled white flour.
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Pass 3 on holidays had a ball. Xo
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    @ideas2 Thanks for the heads up on that link - my MIL and BIL both read Breath and said it was fantastic. Definitely on the list. I know I'm a mega mouth breather and it's caused me issues over the years but I think there are broader impacts that I'm not even realizing.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    Pass day