Bike fit?

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Now I've got a road bike, I'd like to get a proper fit, had a couple of recommendations to go to Pedal Precision at the National Cycling Centre (Manchester Velodrome), and I'm stuck between 2 options...

Enthusiast at £60 - GOOD BASIC FIT FOR SOMEONE JUST GETTING STARTED (which sounds like me) - 60-90mins. Includes;
Initial History and Biomechanical Assessment
Use of Slow Motion Video
Full Adjustment of Bicycle.

Pro Fit at £110 - OUR MOST POPULAR FIT. FULL ASSESSMENT AND FOLLOW UP PROVIDED. IDEAL FOR ANYONE STRUGGLING WITH INJURY, OR ANYONE FROM NOVICE TO ELITE RACER (I guess I *might* be a novice?) - 2hrs.

On top of what is included on the Enthusiast fit is;
Full sports injury Assessment
Full Shoe and Cleat Set-up
Take Home Measurement Guide
Follow Up Exercise Plan pdf

I'm thinking maybe spend the extra £50 on the Pro Fit, even though I am only a recreational cyclist, at most, particularly because of the shoe/cleat set up analysis.

Any advice greatly appreciated (as always)!

Thanks,
Fran

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    i'd go for the more thorough version - partly because of the cleat/shoe stuff - which frankly is pretty critical if you don't want your knees to go pop or end up with other muscle related problems - but also because of the bits you get to take away - i.e. setup specs for the bike (so if you need to drop the saddle and partially dismantle for transporting etc. you've got the exact measurments to hand) and, what COULD be even more important - the follow up exercise plan.

For example - on my last bike fit, the "optimum" position for power/efficiency wasn't sustainable for more than a few minutes due to the mis-tracking of my (longer) right leg. Even with my orthotic fitted in the left shoe, It took me 2 months of exercises, targetted stretches and work on my back to allow me to raise the saddle to where it needed to be (something like 12mm in 1mm increments!)...

FWIW, £110 sounds pretty good value for a 2 hour session of that nature - and I'll pretty much guarantee it'll make more of an improvement £ for £ than anything you've spent on the bike so far!
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i'd go for the more thorough version - partly because of the cleat/shoe stuff - which frankly is pretty critical if you don't want your knees to go pop or end up with other muscle related problems - but also because of the bits you get to take away - i.e. setup specs for the bike (so if you need to drop the saddle and partially dismantle for transporting etc. you've got the exact measurments to hand) and, what COULD be even more important - the follow up exercise plan.

For example - on my last bike fit, the "optimum" position for power/efficiency wasn't sustainable for more than a few minutes due to the mis-tracking of my (longer) right leg. Even with my orthotic fitted in the left shoe, It took me 2 months of exercises, targetted stretches and work on my back to allow me to raise the saddle to where it needed to be (something like 12mm in 1mm increments!)...

FWIW, £110 sounds pretty good value for a 2 hour session of that nature - and I'll pretty much guarantee it'll make more of an improvement £ for £ than anything you've spent on the bike so far!

Yup, what he said...

I'm somewhat amazed that the less expensive fit does not address the shoes/cleats.

You only contact the bike in three spots - hands, *kitten*, and feet. Don't know how you could call it a bike fit and only address two of the three points.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the £110 fit as I think the shoes and cleats are important for the old knees!! I guess a lot of beginners don't use clipless pedals which is why it might not be standard in the £60 fit.

I think I'll have to wait till after next month's payday though having forked out £55 on new tyres, plus more on other bits and bobs for the bike !
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Any update on the bike fit? I'm just the other side of the Pennines and would be keen to hear about your experience at the Manchester Velodrome. Was thinking of taking my eldest there for a taster too.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    The velodrome is great fun - been for a ride there a couple of times - once you get used to not having brakes and riding on a slope. I am going to go with the £110 bike fit but might have to be a birthday or xmas present from the family as I'm a bit more skint than I realised when I checked my bank account the other day !!! :laugh: