serious underarm chafing

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
I get serious chafing on my upper arm after running. It even happens during three mile or shorter runs. I use BodyGlide and wear technical tees. Does anybody have any tips?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What is rubbing? Your shirt?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm not sure. I think it's my arm against the side of my body. It's right at the bottom of the sleeve, but when I pull my sleeves up, it's worse.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Diaper cream?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    From the description of the chafing and looking at your picture, I believe that you form is at least partly to blame. Try relaxing your arms and hands more and allow the hands to drop lower. It' looks like you have your arms tensed up and pinched toward you body.

Do a short run and think only of allowing your hands and arms to hang free and loose. See if that makes a difference.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    From the description of the chafing and looking at your picture, I believe that you form is at least partly to blame. Try relaxing your arms and hands more and allow the hands to drop lower. It' looks like you have your arms tensed up and pinched toward you body.

Do a short run and think only of allowing your hands and arms to hang free and loose. See if that makes a difference.

And it looks like your arms may be going across your body a bit too? It may just be the angle of the picture, but that could factor in as well.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this with my longer runs recently and I use BodyGlide. It seems to help to consciously make sure your arms aren't rubbing against your chest (my form collapses a little bit when I go long). I try to keep them up, out, away from my body. Might help a little bit. For me the problem was running form collapsing with fatigue.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The picture was the last 10 seconds of my first and only 10k, so my form is about as bad as it gets. My arms don't usually cross the center line and never cause my torso to move. I could definitely relax them a lot more, though.