Increasing weight question

Options
hope002
hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
I am on week 4 cycle 1. When I started, the heaviest dumbbells I had were 26lbs. So I use them for my SLDL and calf raises (feels very light) and 15lbs dumbbells for Bulgarian split squats. Recently I bought more dumbbells (30, 35, 40, 45 and 50lbs)

-Do I just keep using the same weights and cycle 2 go a little more than 10%?
-Can I go heavier now and switch to squats with heavier DBs?
-Or do I fallow the program to the tee and just increase 10% each cycle?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Do you have your 10 RM test results? To be honest, if there is a big gap between those numbers and the weights you have been using the last couple of weeks, I would start completely over using the right weights.
  • hope002
    Options
    Sorry I don't know what 10 RM is. If that's the test to decide what weights to use, do I do it now?

Do you mean starting week 1 (8 reps)?
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    10 RM = 10 repetition max, which is the most weight you can lift for 10 reps (while maintaining good form) and no more.

Ideally, that's the weight you want to start at.

If you started well below your 10 RM for one or more exercises, then yes, you should consider finding your 10 RM for each exercise, and then start -- with that weight -- on week 1 (8 reps) of the cycle.

Strictly speaking, you don't *have* to... Eventually you'll catch up to that point, but you will definitely get more "bang for your buck" by starting at your 10 RM.

From the SBR FAQ:
    Q: How do I select my starting weights for this routine?
    A: You will use your 10 rep max for each exercise. To determine your 10 rep maxes, go to the gym one day (at least 2 days BEFORE starting the routine), and perform one set of each exercise until failure (as many reps as you can do with good form). Try and pick a weight that will bring you to failure at around 10 reps (for a more accurate calculation). Take note of the weight you used and how many reps took you to failure and then plug them in to this calculator (http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator), this will give you your 10 rep max (your weights cycle 1).
  • hope002
    Options
    I did the 10 RM test today (thank you both). I was way off on some exercises and on some I think I just became stronger in 4 weeks. I will start all from the beginning on Monday.

here are the weights I was using and the calculated weights for 8 reps total weight
    Bulgarian split squats 30 - >squats 80
    Bench Press 40 - >51
    Rows 52 - > 71
    Barbell Press 24 - > 29
    Deadlifts 52 - > 81
    Curls 30 - > 39
    Calf Raises 52 - > 118
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    Crikey, is that lbs or kgs? I feel weak now! :-)

Out of curiosity, why the bulgarian split rather than a dumbbell or barbell back squat?
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above ^^^^ As usual Jason has explained what I wanted to write far more eloquent then I would! :tongue:
  • hope002
    Options
    Crikey, is that lbs or kgs? I feel weak now! :-)

Out of curiosity, why the bulgarian split rather than a dumbbell or barbell back squat?

pounds ... sorry, forgot to mention :)
    I was doing bulgarian split before, when I didn't have heavier weights, now I am doing normal DB squats
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    10 RM = 10 repetition max, which is the most weight you can lift for 10 reps (while maintaining good form) and no more.

Ideally, that's the weight you want to start at.

If you started well below your 10 RM for one or more exercises, then yes, you should consider finding your 10 RM for each exercise, and then start -- with that weight -- on week 1 (8 reps) of the cycle.

Strictly speaking, you don't *have* to... Eventually you'll catch up to that point, but you will definitely get more "bang for your buck" by starting at your 10 RM.

From the SBR FAQ:
    Q: How do I select my starting weights for this routine?
    A: You will use your 10 rep max for each exercise. To determine your 10 rep maxes, go to the gym one day (at least 2 days BEFORE starting the routine), and perform one set of each exercise until failure (as many reps as you can do with good form). Try and pick a weight that will bring you to failure at around 10 reps (for a more accurate calculation). Take note of the weight you used and how many reps took you to failure and then plug them in to this calculator (http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator), this will give you your 10 rep max (your weights cycle 1).

Is this calculator good for all the exercises in the routine?
  • jasonheyd
    Options

It should be, yes. Calf and pure ab exercises can be harder to measure this way I guess... They tend to do better with higher reps, so a 10 RM calculator maybe isn't the best.

I usually do calf raises at 18-22 reps, rather than 8-12 reps, so I shoot for a 20 RM.
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options

It should be, yes. Calf and pure ab exercises can be harder to measure this way I guess... They tend to do better with higher reps, so a 10 RM calculator maybe isn't the best.

I usually do calf raises at 18-22 reps, rather than 8-12 reps, so I shoot for a 20 RM.

Thanks! Going to figure out my 10 RM today Excited to get started!