Lifetime running challenge!

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
I've set up a new lifetime running challenge Google Doc -- use this to set your own goals, then track and see how you compare to others on MFP.

You can set any goal you want -- 1,000 - 2,000 - 5,000 - 10,000 - 20,000 or more! Ideally this should be a long term goal; something that should take you at least a year to complete.

I was inspired to do this because I noticed that at my current rate I should hit 10,000 lifetime miles (since I started tracking about 3 years ago) sometime near the end of 2014. Maybe you are approaching some other milestone and want to track your progress; this is a way to do it.

All you need to do is enter your information on the linked Google Doc spreadsheet. The data goes on the first page, and it's tallied on Page 2. Enter your goal lifetime mileage, your current lifetime mileage, and the date when you hope to reach your goal. Then add in new miles every month, and the spreadsheet will automatically track your miles, and even project how long it will take you to reach your goal (once you've logged 100 new miles).

The link is below; let's get to it!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkmK3myW0PepdHV2dnA1R3FvYlV6dDlrc1gyQlhpc3c

Here is a screen shot of the standings as of May 1, 2014:

lifetime_challenge.png

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Either need this made sticky or need another group.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Wish I had logged miles prior to this year - good to start now :)
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    awesome! second the stickie idea
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

Is it okay if I start my mileage now instead of retroactively? I was not great about tracking all my mileage until I started my marathon training recently.

I am also wondering if the start date should be 8/1/13 since the totals appear to include the August mileage column. Alternatively should we delete the August column and start September 1st?

Thanks for setting this up!
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    Yay! I hope August counts, lol, it's been a good month for me. :D
  • davemunger
    Options
    Great idea!

Is it okay if I start my mileage now instead of retroactively? I was not great about tracking all my mileage until I started my marathon training recently.

I am also wondering if the start date should be 8/1/13 since the totals appear to include the August mileage column. Alternatively should we delete the August column and start September 1st?

Sure, that's fine. Feel free to make your start date 8/1/13 -- I was assuming people would jump in at different times, so if that's what you want to use as your start date, go for it.

For everyone else, if you used 8/30 as the start date, then you should only include miles you ran AFTER that as your August miles -- in other words, you'll have just 1 or 2 days of running in your August total. Basically, just make sure you don't double-count miles.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    Great idea!

Sure, that's fine. Feel free to make your start date 8/1/13 -- I was assuming people would jump in at different times, so if that's what you want to use as your start date, go for it.

For everyone else, if you used 8/30 as the start date, then you should only include miles you ran AFTER that as your August miles -- in other words, you'll have just 1 or 2 days of running in your August total. Basically, just make sure you don't double-count miles.

Hehe... okies. It'll give me incentive to really push it until the first few snow falls and get some solid mileage in before Christmas.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Either need this made sticky or need another group.

I can't make it a sticky in this group -- not a moderator. I'm a moderator in the monthly challenge group so I could do it there. Or I could make a new group. What's the preferred option?
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Great idea, thanks!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    Thanks again! I hope everyone notices your statement about only counting the last two days of August in the August total if using 8/30 as the start date. It appears that some may have missed your comment above about this.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm at 19214 lifetime. There is a chance I will hit 20,000 by years end, but more likely will hit it in January.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks again! I hope everyone notices your statement about only counting the last two days of August in the August total if using 8/30 as the start date. It appears that some may have missed your comment above about this.
    I fixed mine. I completely missed the comment above.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so I can find it later.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've sent a message to the mods to request they pin this for ease of use but... crickets are still chirping. :ohwell:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    bump
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    This sounds great. I'd love to participate. I'll start from 0 as well.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    I've sent a message to the mods to request they pin this for ease of use but... crickets are still chirping. :ohwell:

Any response to your request yet?
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    bump
  • davemunger
    Options
    230 for September. I just noticed the projected months to completion is a little off because it averages August in even though most of us only recorded one days' worth of running for August. I may just remove August from the average.