Challenge 4 The Republic of Malta - Meal Planning & Declutter

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,181 Member
edited October 2022 in Social Groups
This posting is for information only. PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS ON YOUR CHALLENGE TEAM PAGE. And post questions and comments on your team’s discussion board. Thanks!

🌎️Week #4 Saturday, October 22 - Friday, October 28🌎️

✈️DESTINATION - The Republic of Malta - 6,000 Miles & Meal Planning & Declutter

The challenge begins on Saturday morning. Exercise & Meal Planning & Declutter done before SATURDAY DOES NOT COUNT!!!!

⭐This Challenge starts Saturday. To get off to an easy start, on Saturday plan your meals for Sunday, score 9 points. Each day thereafter, Meal Planning - For each meal (not snacks) you planned the night before and ate as planned, you earn 3 points, to a daily maximum of 9 points.

Skip the crowds of Sicily and head to the tiny-dot sovereign island nation of Malta. Sicily is the largest of the Italian islands, and the closest neighbour to Malta, just 50 miles away. They have the same sunny climate year-round and are surrounded by the warm blue Mediterranean waters. Malta is an archipelago and much smaller making it easier to maneuver and see all you want. It lies about halfway between Sicily and the North African Coast.

In its 7,000 years of human habitation, Malta has been overrun by every major Mediterranean power leaving their cultural, architectural, culinary, and linguistic impacts. It was a part of Sicily for centuries too, and that created the unique mix that is today’s modern Malta and Sicily. In the 17th century with the arrival of the British, it became an English-speaking country.

Many foodstuffs are imported from Sicily and the cuisine is very similar to what you might find in Sicily. Pasta and pizza are among the locals’ favourite dishes. Maltese cuisine also includes a seafood-based cuisine that blends influences from Italy, Spain and Morocco.

Malta, officially the Republic of Malta, consists of the main island Malta and the smaller islands of Gozo and Comino. The country covers an area of 122 sq miles, about twice the size of Washington, DC and has a population of 515,000 people.

On Gozo we will view a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the megalithic temples of Ggantija. It is the oldest free-standing monument in the world, pre-dating the Pyramids of Egypt. Then we will cruise on a catamaran to Blue Lagoon encircled by the islet of Comino, between the islands of Malta and Gozo. The crystal-clear waters in Blue Lagoon reflect the blue sky with a lovely turquoise, revealing the pure white sand bottom of the sea. It’s ideal for swimming, snorkelling, diving and relaxing.

Valletta, is a compact walkable capital city overlooking the magnificent Grand Harbour. There are cathedrals, palaces, gardens, various museums, cityscapes, ornate baroque churches, Old World walking streets, historic bazaars, hilltop citadels, parks, sandy beaches, spectacular coastal views with stunning limestone cliffs, and further out charming rural landscapes.

Fun Facts
The Maltese are renowned for their warmth and hospitality
Malta a film site for movies & TV - Gladiator, Troy, Captain Philips, Game of Thrones
It’s the unofficial crafts capital of Europe think glass-blowers, potters, jewellers
Entirely forest-free, and no mountains or rivers
Valletta was the first ever planned city in Europe, back in 1565
Malta is a 17-by-8-mile island
Comino has a population of just 2 and measures 1.3 square miles.
And where do Maltese dogs come from?
The interiors of the historic homes are quite contemporary
f1vlw7cnf4pn.png
Race - You must exercise to earn air miles to get your team to the destination.
1 minute of exercise = 1 air mile

DAILY MAXIMUM 120 exercise minutes/air miles.

📝Living the Good Life - Meal Planning & Declutter

Meal planning saves time, money, and stress which makes healthy eating easier. With a good meal plan, you can make accurate grocery lists and waste less food. You will know exactly what you're using each ingredient for, instead of just buying things and figuring out their use later.

Many of you already know the basics of meal planning, but a review may be helpful. The process of the meal plan starts with a purpose – saving money, special dietary needs, following a diet, convenience, quick meals, preferences, nutrition, etc.

Count out how many meals, and what type of meals, you need to plan for. What did you eat last week? What days do you go out to eat? Take lunches? What days do you usually have left-overs?

Plan to use up your perishable foods, that typically spoil within a relatively short amount of time, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, and dairy products. Check what foods you have on hand in the fridge, freezer, and pantry. Do you have time to look at flyers for foods on sale?

• Breakfast: Do you make a unique breakfast sometimes, or do you generally eat the same thing each morning?
• Lunch: Do you eat out while at work, or do you pack lunches?
• Dinner: What days do you cook? What days do you eat out or eat leftovers?

Once you have a daily or weekly meal plan with recipes you can plan your grocery list. It saves time if you can attach the recipes to the menu plan. Integrate leftovers (AKA pre-cooked meals) into the menu to make meal prep easier, and avoid wasting food. It helps to take a few minutes to tidy/clean your fridge before you shop. Put the perishables in easy view to be sure to use them first. Click here to get a shopping list and ideas. https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/meal-plan-1/

Once you plan the 3 daily meals and beverages, you can calculate the nutritional values/calories in advance and adjust the plan if you are over or under for calories, etc. Can you enter the food before you eat it? What about a week's menu plan? When you total up your nutrition for the day does it meet the goals of your diet?

This week we will plan our meals so we know what we will be eating, how much we will eat, when we will eat it and how we will prepare it. This will keep us from impulse eating. Commit to what you will eat tomorrow and stick to it!

Example of my 'target' diet – Canada Food Guide and 1,400 calories. 2 Fruits, 5 Vegetables, 6 Grains, 3 Dairy, 2 Protein, 2 Fat, Sugar (how much added sugar in a day eg. on oatmeal)

Ideally each evening I will review/write down tomorrow’s menu for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. If I am eating out, I plan for it. Then I tally it up to see if I have met the nutritional targets for each food group; next I calculate the calories and adjust as needed.

**** For the sake of this week’s challenge, each evening review or write down your meals for the next day. The next day follow that menu plan.

**** Set yourself up for success this week! Know at bedtime what you will eat for breakfast AND lunch AND dinner! Know in the morning what you are having for dinner so you have the food on hand and the time to prepare it.

Optional (but not extra points) – Plan your menu for the week and shop for the foods you need. If you are eating out, include that as part of your menu planning, but make it PLANNED not spur of the moment, oh I don’t feel like cooking tonight.

Meal Planning Points - Each evening review/write out your menu for the next day - breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. The next day follow the menu plan. The points are for EATING the PLANNED meal.

At the end of the week, your Friday posting of points will be for meals eaten that were planned on Thursday night.

If you are eating out - write down the name of the restaurant and your planned meal.

✔️To score points this week
⭐To get off to an easy start, on Saturday Oct. 22, plan your meals for Sunday Oct. 23, score 9 points for that Saturday.
1. Meal Planning - After Oct. 22nd - For each meal (not snacks) you planned the night before and ate as planned, you earn 3 points, to a daily maximum of 9 points. If you skip a meal no points for that meal.
2. Declutter 10 minutes a day or more, score 10 points all or nothing.
1omfcob4tmzf.png
Summary

Record all exercise minutes. It's 6,000 Exercise Minutes/Air miles. DAILY MAXIMUM 120 exercise minutes/miles.

Scoring: 1 minute of exercise = 1 air mile

1. Living the Good Life - Meal Planning/Eaten Daily MAXIMUM 9 points
2. Living the Good Life – Declutter 10 minutes a day = 10 points. Daily maximum 10 points or 0. But declutter more - all you want!

We will record this on one thread. (example)

My Exercise: 30
My Meal Plan: 9
My Declutter: 10

****Remember if for any reason your health does not allow you to participate in a challenge, please does not attempt it. Always follow your doctor's orders.
This discussion has been closed.