New to this group Over 60 in 2023

Options
smilinheart56
smilinheart56 Posts: 38 Member
I'm looking to join a few support groups that apply to my situation. I'm 67, End stage OA, PsA, RA, AI, et al. Gained over 100# in 8 months due to Rx's and sedentary life style; I had been on a diet and got within 30# of goal weight before they began messing with my meds.

Finally trying this... again.... my way. Start date was 10/01/22 and I'm down 44#. Doing this 'my way' and seeing some success but this is about the time I'd get bored/antsy and fall off the wagon. Cannot and Will not do that this time around. My legs can't support my body with the extra weight. 1# loss Equals 10# pressure on the joints; 44# loss = 440# less pressure on my joints. Imagine....

Replies

• Web_Foot
    Web_Foot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I’m new too. I’m end stage arthritis in both knees. Recently lost 50 pounds and looking to finally get them both replaced.
  • smilinheart56
    Options
    Web_Foot wrote: »
    Welcome to the group. I’m new too. I’m end stage arthritis in both knees. Recently lost 50 pounds and looking to finally get them both replaced.

Welcome. I feel your end-stage pain myself. I've put off replacement surgery for 2 years now.
  • Web_Foot
    Web_Foot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’ve put off replacement for about 7 years. It can’t wait anymore. Time to be brave and get it done and finish taking my life back. Saw my surgeon last week. First knee will be done in early July. Second knee in December. Scheduling around my husband being off work to help me.
  • smilinheart56
    Options
    Web_Foot wrote: »
    I’ve put off replacement for about 7 years. It can’t wait anymore. Time to be brave and get it done and finish taking my life back. Saw my surgeon last week. First knee will be done in early July. Second knee in December. Scheduling around my husband being off work to help me.

Oh, good for you! If my weight loss stays on track, I'll schedule both mine for after Christmas. I have multiple health issues including autoimmune so gotta make sure to keep the flares at bay...hoping the weight loss will help improve that.

Hey, you probably know... for every pound you lose, you take 10# pressure off your knees. I've lost 45#, so #450 pounds pressure off my knees - 450#...that is crazy. No wonder they are 'shot'.
  • amanda_sandiego
    amanda_sandiego Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! New to this group. I just turned 66 and I rejoined MFP a few weeks ago. I dropped out in 2022 after a miserable year tracking carbs while I tried the keto diet. 😖 I generally eat OK but I eat too much, too fast - something I’m trying to overcome. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2018 and have become increasingly sedentary in the last few years, which coincides with a 40 lb weight gain. And being overweight is no fun when your joints are already creaky, making exercise difficult. My husband, with the metabolism of a hummingbird, who is otherwise a great guy, can’t relate to my weight gain, chronic discomfort > pain, and everything that comes with being post-menopausal, blah, blah, blah. I don’t “do” social media, so this is my tiny outlet to meet and learn from others who are experiencing similar issues.
  • amanda_sandiego
    amanda_sandiego Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Btw: what is “end stage” arthritis? Something new and exciting in my future? (gulp)